[Success] Gigabyte Z77-DS3H rev1.0 + instructions (useful for others as well)

A.I.Ghost

14 posts in this topic

Guide updated on 23.10.2013

Sys stats:

1) 

GA-Z77-DS3H (rev. 1.0)
Core i5-3470
nVidia GTX650Ti
Mavericks GM (13A598)

2)

GA-Z77-DS3H (rev. 1.1)

Core i3-3225

Mavericks GM (13A598)

3)

GA-Z77-DS3H (rev. 1.1)

Core i5-3470

nVidia GTX650Ti

Mavericks GM (13A603)

I will update the information in this post with newer versions of DP/GM/Stable and / or problems fixing.

Chameleon:

Creating the installer (taken from here and remade to be absolutely clear)
0. You need 8Gig or bigger usb flash drive.
1. With disk utility partition it to have one HFS+ partition, and GUID style partition table. You can call the partition whatever you like to distinguish it.
2. Mount your downloaded Mavericks DMG, within it right click on “Install OS X 10.9 Developer Preview”, select "show package contents".
InstallESD.dmg you are looking for is located in Contents/Shared Support/. Mount it as well.
Within InstallESD.dmg is BaseSystem.dmg, which is hidden. If you have finder configured to display hidden files, just mount it as previous dmg's and skip step 3, otherwise proceed to step 3.
3. Mount BaseSystem.dmg by typing the following in terminal:

open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

4. With disk utility, select mounted “OS X Base System”, select restore tab, drag your USB partition, created in step 1, to the destination field for restore process.
Proceed with restore.
After the restore you will have two "OS X Base System" mounted, one from the DMG, the other from flash drive. With disk utility unmount the one from the DMG, so it does not confuse you.
5. Navigate to /System/Installation within your USB "OS X Base System". Delete the “Packages” link, then copy the Packages folder from “OS X Install ESD” to this location.
6. Use pacifist application to extract mach_kernel from /OS X Install ESD/Packages/BaseSystemBinaries.pkg to the root of your USB drive. (or use the mach_kernel from the attachment).
7. Get FakeSMC.kext and plugins here. It is a single package, which contains everything. As of this writing ver. 5.2.655.pkg was used. kozlek, my sincere gratitude for it.

7.1 Install the HWSensors package with default options to the USB drive you are preparing.
8. Get chameleon from the downloads section of this website. As of this writing ver. 2266 was used.

8.1 Install the chameleon package with default options to the USB drive you are preparing.

9. Create folder named "Installer" in the root of your USB drive.

9.1 Copy over HWSensors package and Chameleon package to that folder, you will use them later on.

(optional)
10. Create folder named "Extra" in the root of your USB drive.

10.1.a Copy over the contents of your current "Extra" folder to the "Extra" of your USB drive

| or |

10.1.b Copy over the attached smbios.plist and org.chameleon.boot.plist to the "Extra" folder of the USB drive.

10.1.b.1 Edit attached smbios.plist and insert your serial number, or open the file with chameleon wizard and generate the serial number.

11.a Copy over to the System/Library/Extensions/ of the USB drive your currently used third-party kexts from System/Library/Extensions/ (except for FakeSMC and it's plugins, as it should be installed with HWSensors)

| or |

11.b Copy over to the System/Library/Extensions/ of the USB drive attached ALXEthernet.kext (and any other you deem necessary)

Installing OS X
0. Boot into the installer with "-v -f npci=0x2000" options
1. Partition the destination drive to your liking and install OS X.
2. Upon finishing the installation, go to Utilities and Terminal.
3. Remove nasty evil AppleKextExcludeList.kext (it will prevent FakeSMC from loading, among other kexts) by typing

rm -rf /Volumes/"your osx partition name"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleKextExcludeList.kext

4. Copy over the FakeSMC.kext

cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/"your osx partition name"/System/Library/Extensions/

5. Copy over any additional kexts you've prepared previously
6. To finish the installation process type

reboot

Initial booot
1. Boot to the USB stick again but this time select your new OS X install. Use the "-v -f npci=0x2000" options.
This should boot you into your installed copy of Mavericks and correctly load all drivers. It takes some time...

2. Install HWSensors package you have prepared to your new OS X drive.
3. Install chameleon package you have prepared to your new OS X drive.
4. Copy your Extra folder over from USB to your new OS X drive.

4.1 (optional) edit your org.chameleon.plist, if you need it.

5. Detach the flash drive and reboot

Working system boot

1. Boot the newly configured system, connect to the internet and update via App Store automated system.

Update installation and restart will take some time.

2. Boot with additional "-f" parameter to reload all kexts after update installation, should not pose any problem.

3. Check for any discrepancies.

GA-Z77-DS3H.zip

Edited by A.I.Ghost

• 3 months later...

Howdy,

Does this work with the latest release?  I'm having trouble getting chameleon to boot but clover seems to work with boot options built into the USB installer that I downloaded ...  that being said, I can't get it to boot from the regular partition without using the USB...  darnit.

I'm using the same config as yourself except a Core i7 3770k, but otherwise the specs are identical.

EDIT:  One thing to note is that it hangs right after the Bluetooth fails with flag -v and -f used.  It just sits there indefinitely.

I have updated to DP8 since install via App Store without a problem.

Will do a test fresh install of GM this weekend.

I am using the latest chameleon and the latest FakeSMC right from the devel website.

How's GM treating you Ghost? I'm building this machine for production:

GA-Z77-DS3H Rev 1.0 (I think...how can I tell?)
Core i7-3770k
EVGA nVidia GTX570 HD 1.2Gb

8Gb RAM
256Gb M500 SSD

1Tb 7200RPM (Windows + Storage Partitions)

I'm debating between Mavericks GM or 10.8.5. I want to not have to do this all over again in a month when the official Mav comes out, but I also want stability in programs like After Effects, Logic Studios, and Final Cut. So I haz two questions for ya:

Which OS would you reccomend?

Would you know why when I boot using Kakewalk for 10.8.5 it gets to Bluetooth (which I don't even have installed), hangs for a minute, then boots the installer to a black screen of nothingness?

Rolling on GM as of sunday. Again, latest chameleon, latest FakeSMC, ALXEthernet 1.0.2 and nothing more.

Apart from no time to test drivers for on-board sound, everything works without a problem.

Bash 4 compiled in 31 seconds, vim 9.4 latest in 29 seconds.

Tested several steam games friends have provided access to on max details i could on 2560*1440 display.

Which system to use depends on your usage profile. I would certainly recommend to go for 10.9 for correct multi-display support alone but if and when the software you use is fully supported.

As for pre-created distros like "Kakewalk", sorry but no idea. I have always created installations myself with the info from this forums.

Rolling on GM as of sunday. Again, latest chameleon, latest FakeSMC, ALXEthernet 1.0.2 and nothing more.

Apart from no time to test drivers for on-board sound, everything works without a problem.

Bash 4 compiled in 31 seconds, vim 9.4 latest in 29 seconds.

Tested several steam games friends have provided access to on max details i could on 2560*1440 display.

Which system to use depends on your usage profile. I would certainly recommend to go for 10.9 for correct multi-display support alone but if and when the software you use is fully supported.

As for pre-created distros like "Kakewalk", sorry but no idea. I have always created installations myself with the info from this forums.

Can't thank you enough for taking the time to talk to me.

I plan on getting it ready for production by Thursday, hoping to nail it when I wake up later today. I found the problems I had with Kakewalk were likely to be that I needed to use boot flags for my nVidia card. Not positive though.

If you could answer these questions I'd be incredibly appreciative

How do I know if my mobo is Rev 1.0 or 1.1?

Says it nowhere on the box or board..

Would there be any flags you think I might need for booting your method using my aforementioned hardware? 

Specifically the GTX 570HD

Would you be able to attach/list recommended kexts and exact boot loader version for the build?

I was considering Chimera at first, but you seem to have it working great and that's all I care about.

Were you saying your onboard audio doesn't work or that it shows up but you just haven't used it?

I'm building it for audio production and will be using an interface, but I want the onboard working too. If you don't have a solution for audio I'll look it up and share my findings.

I doubt you'd have much to offer for this one as you use ethernet, but it's worth a shot: I need wifi to work on this and would prefer PCI (not express) but can't find a list of compatible cards anywhere. I only saw osx86's list of Mini-PCI cards, one of which is recognized as full Airport Extreme. I found that card and a Mini PCI to PCI card, but I don't know if a converter will work without drivers. I feel like it should as it's just rerouting the contacts to be for big-PCI. Any input on this would be immensely helpful as I have gone through 2 cards already.

EDIT: And now there's a Golden Golden Master! O.O Basically the same thing, only they officially pushed this through MacBook updates, so I'll use that one.

> How do I know if my mobo is Rev 1.0 or 1.1?

See the link, ver. number is in the top left corner, same should be on your mobo, if not, then it is ver. 1.0. I do have 1.0 and i still have it printed.

http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/4326/6547_big.jpg

Would there be any flags you think I might need for booting your method using my aforementioned hardware? 

You might need GraphicsEnabler=Yes or NVRam.dylib (installable via ChameleonWizard) or both, try searching the forums

Were you saying your onboard audio doesn't work or that it shows up but you just haven't used it?

Onboard audio requires another third-party kext, but as i use m-audio fire-wire interface i did not test the kext, so technically i don't have on-board at all :)

I need wifi to work on this and would prefer PCI (not express)

I would guess that PCI TP-Link wi-fi adapters will work, but again, i strongly suggest you use the search, this forums are full of information.

Be prepared for the need to remove the AppleKextExcludeList.kext and probably reinstall all the kexts that will be deleted from S/L/E because of it, namely FakeSMC.

I would also like to know your clover setup (in as much detail as possible if you have time), as i have been willing to try it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

> How do I know if my mobo is Rev 1.0 or 1.1?

See the link, ver. number is in the top left corner, same should be on your mobo, if not, then it is ver. 1.0. I do have 1.0 and i still have it printed.

http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/4326/6547_big.jpg

You might need GraphicsEnabler=Yes or NVRam.dylib (installable via ChameleonWizard) or both, try searching the forums

Onboard audio requires another third-party kext, but as i use m-audio fire-wire interface i did not test the kext, so technically i don't have on-board at all :)

I need wifi to work on this and would prefer PCI (not express)

I would guess that PCI TP-Link wi-fi adapters will work, but again, i strongly suggest you use the search, this forums are full of information.

Thanks a ton :) I'll come crying if it esplodes.

EDIT: Having issues installing the HWMonitor package to the USB drive, keeps telling me it can only be installed on the partition currently running OSX :(

Build:

Z77-DS3H

8Gb DDR3-1333 RAM OC'd to 1600

i7-3770k (OC'ng shortly to 4.2)

EVGA GTX570 HD 1280MB

250GB Crucial M500 SSD

1TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD

Vantec FireWire 800/400 UGT-FW210

I installed FakeSMC v5.3.820 via MultiB**** to the USB installer, then booted perfectly using your flags.

Installed, deleted the kext, copied Fake back, rebooted into OSX using the flags you outlined.

Ran MultiB**** again and selected FakeSMC v5.3.820 + Plugins/HWMonitor App,

under Audio I selected Realtek ALCxxx>Without DSDT>Optional 3 Port Audio Enabler,

under Disk I enabled 10.9.0 TRIM Patch (for the 250Gb M500 SSD),

under Network I selected Atheros - Shailua's ALSEthernet v1.0.2 so it would be injected directly into the IONetworkingFamily.kext instead of alt-loaded by Extra,

then installed Chameleon from the installer you suggested and dropped in your boot.plist, taking out the -v npci=0x2000 flags

After that I got a warning that kexts from unkown developers where installed, so I went to:
System preferences>Security and privacy>Unlock (password needed)>Allow apps downloaded from:Anywhere

Rebooted into a perfect installation with everything fully functional. Thank you. So much. T.T

If there was a like/promote/thanks button I'd be clicking the $#!+ out of it atm.

Now I just need to find a perfect solution for WiFi, preferably OOB, most likely not, please advise if you come across a definite solution.

Tried Clover for awhile.

Used this to go to Clover

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287737-how-toclover-on-efi-partitionadd-to-bios/

Boots damn quick, but I keep getting two errors in Console that are a little unsettling:

PM kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!

PM plugin-container[952]: AVF error: AVF_VirtualAcceleratorCreate: fail to create QT accelerator

Ran VDADecoderChecker and got:

AVF info: hasOfflineRenderer, board-id check : true
AVF info: Successfully connected to the Intel plugin, offline Gen6 
AVDCreateGPUAccelerator: Error loading GPU renderer
An error was returned by the decoder layer. This may happen for example 
because of bitstream/data errors during a decode operation. This error may 
also be returned from VDADecoderCreate when hardware decoder resources are available 
on the system but currently in use by another process.
VDADecoderCreate failed. err: -12473
logout

So I feel like it might be ignoring my nVidia card for some reason or another, even thought the only display in use is hooked into the GTX570 HD.

I'll share my Clover zip below. I'm sure something is a little off, but it boots my above mentioned rig in about 14sec and everything, aside from the two errors mentioned, works perfectly. All you need to do to apply it is format your EFI partition to FAT32 and unzip contents to it, then change BIOS to boot from UEFI EFI partition. You can test it first by formatting a USB drive to FAT32 and copying the contents of the ZIP there instead, then setting BIOS to boot from the UEFI USB drive.

If you're using ATI/Intel graphics you'll need to change the Inject keys in EFI>Clover>config.plist to "false" for nVidia and "true" for what you use. I think my problems stem from the DSDT section of this same config.plist or from the actual DSDT within EFI>Clover>ACPI>patched>DSDT.dsl.

The added Z77-DS3H folder just has different config.plist's I've tried along the way.

EDIT: Created a new thread linking this one.

Installed Chameleon instead of Clover and fixed most bugs (firewire has errors only after sleep now), so I'm curious as to what I should change in Clover to make it perfect.

CloverZ77DS3H.zip

• Like 1