OS X/Vista/XP triple boot possible w/o upgrading XP to Vista?

ViveLeLivre

6 posts in this topic

Hello all, I've looked through these forums and might have missed it, but I'm wondering if there's a method for triple booting OS X, Vista, and XP that won't require me to perform an XP -> Vista upgrade in order to install?

I'm sure Vista will have enough stability issues on its own without complicating matters by performing an upgrade. Has anyone been successful installing both XP and Vista without going the upgrade route?

Thanks in advance,

Vive

BTW, here is the link I'm sourcing for instructions on triple booting WITH the upgrade.

Tri-boot

Hey,

I have heard reports of that actually working without an upgrade. Instead of installing XP twice, install the first XP, boot the Vista CD while running XP, choose advanced install, and specify the uninstalled partition drive. You should use the XP cd to NTFS (Quick) format both drives before doing this.

Insert the XP CD.

Boot from it.

Format drive C and Drive D in NTFS (Quick) formatting.

Install XP on the second partition.

Then, boot into XP, as if you were going to play a game or something. Instead of inserting a gaming CD on XP, insert your Vista DVD. Select Install now. Choose advanced install, and specify the uninstalled partition drive.

did that help?

Insert the XP CD.

Boot from it.

Format drive C and Drive D in NTFS (Quick) formatting.

Install XP on the second partition.

Then, boot into XP, as if you were going to play a game or something. Instead of inserting a gaming CD on XP, insert your Vista DVD. Select Install now. Choose advanced install, and specify the uninstalled partition drive.

did that help?

Helped a lot. Thanks, I wasn't aware you could begin a Vista install from XP.

Almost sounds too easy.