P5LD2-VM 2.0 - Best Board for Core 2 Duo Overclocking / GMA950

Wallstreet

38 posts in this topic

The P5LD2-VM is the best board for GMA950 + Conroe. It is not a bad overclocker. In spite of what you might have read.

I've been keeping up with OSX86 for awhile and from what I've read here, the P5LD2-VM 2.0 would be a great choice for the Conroe/Allendale Core2s if not for the fact that it overclocked so poorly. I did some 'net research and some tinkering, and have moved my Core2 E6600 from unstable at a 150MHz (2.55GHz) overclock to completely stable on a 530MHz overclock (2.93GHz). This might be less than a lot of the 965/975 guys are getting, but I still feel it's pretty damned good. Bear in mind, there was a lot of trial and error in getting these settings right - I'm not going through a full walkthrough of what I did; confide in the fact that the BIOS changes I made were not arbitrary. ;)

With everyone raving about the ASRock ConRoe945G-DVI, I thought it was important to note that whereas Anandtech wasn't able to get anything stable past 307MHz FSB on the ASRock, I achieved a stable 325MHz FSB with the Asus P5LD2-VM 2.0!

Disclaimer: This information pertains to Conroe/Allendale only. I've not tried any other processor on this board. Actually, all of the information pertains to my setup. If it's useful to you, more power to ya. :)

First off, my hardware:

P5LD2-VM Rev 2.0 /w 0901 BIOS

Core2 E6600 (B2 stepping)

CoolerMaster Hyper48 /w Arctic Silver 5

OCZ PC6400 (5-5-5-12) 2x 1GB sticks

Seagate Barracuda.10 Perpendicular Recording 320GB HDD (SATA300)

Sony DVD+/-RW

Enermax Liberty 400w PSU

Generic VIA Firewire Card

To Overclock, the P5LD2-VM needs its PCIe bus locked at anywhere from 114MHz-118MHz

The P5LD2-VM's main problem (and this is data regurgitation here) is that when a minor overclock is made using JumperFree/Manual mode, the PCIe bus is underclocked from 100MHz to 90MHz. In OS X this manifests itself in visual glitches, the more than occasional app crash, and sometimes even kernel panics. Not good. In order to counter this glitch, the PCIe bus needs to be manually set to anywhere from 114-118MHz. For whatever reason, a mild underclock is bad, whereas a mild overclock causes no problems whatsoever, even from the integrated GMA950 video.

The P5LD2-VM was not supplying enough memory voltage

My OCZ RAM is rated to run at 2v. The board was providing about 1.8v and has the option to manually go to 1.9v. I set it there, and the system IMMEDIATELY allowed POSTing at bus speeds higher than it did previously.

The P5LD2-VM sucks hard at reading SPD data when running at non-standard FSB speeds

Manually set your SPD data. Do not rely on SPD detection with this board. It was setting some timings to 4 when the RAM is clearly marked 5-5-5-12. At lower speeds, this doesn't matter. When OCing, this can mean the difference between stability and failure.

Use the MIDDLE RAM setting (1:1) in manual mode

It's been my experience that regardless of what speed the RAM is in the system, the middle RAM switch should be used, which I believe is 1:1. So a FSB of 300 would yield 600 as the option. DO NOT CHOOSE THE FASTER SETTING EVEN IF YOUR RAM SUPPORTS IT - I've had RAM test failures at 320MHz FSB with the RAM clocked at 800MHz but am completely stable with the FSB at 326MHz with the RAM clocked at 652MHz. RAM benchmarks in OS X are higher with the lower memory/higher FSB speed than vice-versa. There are no performance benefits to running the RAM faster than 1:1.

MCH/VCORE Speeds were left at AUTO

Raising MCH/VCORE did not help me achieve higher speeds or more stability. More CPU voltage shouldn't be required at these speeds either.

That's about it. I've been using MemTest x86, Mersienne Prime, and a few other tools on the Ultimate Windows Boot CD as well as a few Windows utils (Prime95, etc.) to verify stability. The system WILL NOT POST at 3GHz, but will at 2.97GHz. Stability's reached at 2.95GHz, but I dropped it to 2.93GHz just to have a margin of safety. And yes, both cores are reported and work.

YMMV - I hope this helps someone. :)

(Updated on 10/1/06 - Bumped up to 2.93GHz @ 326MHz FSB reliably while maintaining a safety margin)

My XBench results (@ 2.90GHz) are here: http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=193831

=WS=

per wallstreet's great review of this board i've just bought one for my pentium d 915... i'm just now digging up this post so i'll be posting more info soon...

i'm hoping to run the 915, which is a

200x14 = 2800mhz (800mhz Bus)

at

266x14 = 3733mhz (1066mhz Bus) with just some Zalman 7700 cooling...

i'm expecting to need a little more voltage than Wallstreet needed with his cornrow, but i don't think its impossible...

this information about changing the pcie speed is invaluble!

thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

I should be getting this board tomorrow. Any hacks needed other than the audio and the USB for 10.4.8? I sold my video card off once I realized I don't play games and the board I had was having a problem or two so I RMAed it. Do you think the stock cooler will be enough for this though? Just overclocking a E6400. Thanks.

I should be getting this board tomorrow. Any hacks needed other than the audio and the USB for 10.4.8? I sold my video card off once I realized I don't play games and the board I had was having a problem or two so I RMAed it. Do you think the stock cooler will be enough for this though? Just overclocking a E6400. Thanks.

Stock cooler should be just fine. Use the Apple USB update from http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers...d/usbdebug.html - v 261.4.2 - DO NOT INSTALL THE USB UPDATE FROM JAS'S DISC. You'll also need the GMA950 driver from JaS's disc or else you'll get stuck in an endless reboot before you get into graphical mode. :angel: The driver, not the logger. You'll need a PS2 mouse (or use mousekeys) to get it installed after booting. Good luck!

I'm gonna get this board because my present board doesn't do DVI and/or Conroe. While I had my eye on the ASRock ConRoe945G-DVI, the release of titan.kext allows all kinds of nVidia DVI options for non-DVI boards. Also, I just bought an Adaptec firewire 800 PCI card on ebay for $15 shipped (firewire was something my current mobo does have, hate to give it up). I agree with Wallstreet that this is the best board in terms of general OSXability, price, and OverClockability. Those are good benchmarks.......

Sorry ASRock (and TopazBar/Ryanux), but we have a new champion. :):)

Okay, got it and started overclocking. I am using a E6400 2.13GHz and can overclock it to 2.6GHz by setting it to 326, PCIe to 118, PCI Clock to 33.3, Memory Voltage to 1.904, RAM to 5-5-5-12 which is what is listed on it using the stock fan which idles around 32C and the middle manual RAM setting. The RAM is 2 sticks of Kingston 512MB.

I do not have a video card. I enabled Quartz 2D settings but cannot change the Compositor/deferredUpdates from 1 to 0 without it resetting it when I restart. I am Xbenching around 85 and would very much like to go higher. I know my previous board, a Gigabyte GA-945P-S3 with an Asus EAX1600XT Silent V3 with similar settings ran it up to 145 and I don't think the video card would make that much of a difference.

Also, I am unable to access "About This Mac". It just tends to restart the finder without doing anything else. Any ideas? I also installed the GMA950 and semthex on install along with the appleazalia which had no effect and the combo updater.

Okay, got it and started overclocking. I am using a E6400 2.13GHz and can overclock it to 2.6GHz by setting it to 326, PCIe to 118, PCI Clock to 33.3, Memory Voltage to 1.904, RAM to 5-5-5-12 which is what is listed on it using the stock fan which idles around 32C and the middle manual RAM setting. The RAM is 2 sticks of Kingston 512MB.

I do not have a video card. I enabled Quartz 2D settings but cannot change the Compositor/deferredUpdates from 1 to 0 without it resetting it when I restart. I am Xbenching around 85 and would very much like to go higher. I know my previous board, a Gigabyte GA-945P-S3 with an Asus EAX1600XT Silent V3 with similar settings ran it up to 145 and I don't think the video card would make that much of a difference.

Also, I am unable to access "About This Mac". It just tends to restart the finder without doing anything else. Any ideas? I also installed the GMA950 and semthex on install along with the appleazalia which had no effect and the combo updater.

I'm not sure. After installing GMA950 updates, I got a pretty damned good XBench score. I've never had to mess with any Compositor/DeferredUpdate things.

I've not updated my firmware...what's on it works well enough.

You should not care about Anandtech.

Me, and a lot of people have reached stable 350mhz on AsRock. Your Asus (can) should do the same... If you can't POST at 350, it's not the champion :D

The boards are completly same, but Asus don't ship DVI ADD2 card.

A regular 10.4.8 install and one with the GMA950 patch yielded the same results. I then installed the mifki kernel and restarted but the computer would not see the drive and would reboot each time it got to the point to load OS X. Still no 'About This Computer'.

The only differences between Wallstreet and myself are

1. Speed of CPU

2. Amount and Speed

3. Speed of RAM

4. Speed of Hard Drive

So I will borrow a SATA 300 Drive and extra gig of RAM to test so that the only difference would be the speed of the RAM and the CPU which should not effect a 40% difference.

I will install from the 10.4.7 and upgrade to 10.4.8 later today and see what happens then.

Installed 10.4.7 JaS repack, the 10.4.8 JaS update and did the updates. Got and Xbench of 145 using the specs above. Not bad. That is what I was getting with a Gigabyte GA-945P-S3 and an Asus EAX1600XT Silent V3. Will try that video card here soon to see how much it increases the number. Just want to get 151 so that I can have a machine as fast as a MacPro.

You should not care about Anandtech.

Me, and a lot of people have reached stable 350mhz on AsRock. Your Asus (can) should do the same... If you can't POST at 350, it's not the champion :P

The boards are completly same, but Asus don't ship DVI ADD2 card.

What settings are you using to POST at 350? I can POST at 333, but I'm not stable.

A regular 10.4.8 install and one with the GMA950 patch yielded the same results. I then installed the mifki kernel and restarted but the computer would not see the drive and would reboot each time it got to the point to load OS X. Still no 'About This Computer'.

1. Speed of CPU

2. Amount and Speed

3. Speed of RAM

4. Speed of Hard Drive

So I will borrow a SATA 300 Drive and extra gig of RAM to test so that the only difference would be the speed of the RAM and the CPU which should not effect a 40% difference.

I will install from the 10.4.7 and upgrade to 10.4.8 later today and see what happens then.

"About this computer" Requires the 10.4.4 Loginwindow installer that's on the 10.4.8 DVD.

1. Speed of CPU

2. Amount and Speed

3. Speed of RAM

4. Speed of Hard Drive

Mifki's kernel requires NX, or it will keep rebooting ->

I get the same reboot cycling IF I disable NX in BIOS, for some weird reason the board comes with NX disabled by default...

BIOS->ADVANCED->CPU CONFIGURATION->EXECUTE DISABLE FUNCTION->[Enabled] is what you want to have

Wallstreet, would you give a step by step instruction set to install 10.4.8 from the new JaS DVD for myself and others. Thank you.

Also, when I did it, my USB did work after restart and by not using the USB fix. But I think my GMA950 was not working properly after the instal with the patch.

Wallstreet, would you give a step by step instruction set to install 10.4.8 from the new JaS DVD for myself and others. Thank you.

Also, when I did it, my USB did work after restart and by not using the USB fix. But I think my GMA950 was not working properly after the instal with the patch.

I'll do my best, though my results differ from yours already...

1) Install JaS DVD - Select the 10.4.8 update and pick a kernel. I also installed the GMA950 package and the Soundblaster USB package

2) Use a PS2 mouse/keyboard to install Apple's USB update linked above

3) I didn't do anything with sound under 10.4.8 since I use a Firewire sound device. I'm sure there are links to applehdaudio or appleazalia on other places here.

4) Installed Neopheus's Borisbad installer to get a X1650 Pro working. No problems.

5) Installed Natit to get a 7900GS working...no problem.

Honestly, that's all I did.

Did 10.4.8 as you described but I realized that only 64MB of VRAM is seen on the GMA950 while if you use the old 10.4.7 and use the 10.4.8 combo update 256 MB is seen. That and it just runs so much faster that way than the straight 10.4.8 which actually is about 60% benchwise of the update method.

Did 10.4.8 as you described but I realized that only 64MB of VRAM is seen on the GMA950 while if you use the old 10.4.7 and use the 10.4.8 combo update 256 MB is seen. That and it just runs so much faster that way than the straight 10.4.8 which actually is about 60% benchwise of the update method.

That might be true. I never used GMA950 on 10.4.8. My sole reason for going 10.4.8 was to get off of GMA950. ;)

FWIW, 90-95% of all desktop operations show no benefit with a 7900GS.

GMA performs the same no matter what System Profiler says about its VMEM. GMA uses that much of memory you have set in BIOS. There's no such thing like "is seen on 10.4.x"... I really don't understand why people care so much about System Profiler.

You are on hacks. It just does not work. If it will say you all have 1ghz CPU in 10.4.9, does that mean your CPU is running at 1000mhz? NO. It just mostly shows bad HW informations becase we don't have a Mac.

Yeah, I put my Asus EAX1600XT Silent V3 in and saw no increase in the Xbench score. Same when I added another 2 sticks of 512MB Kingston RAM. When I just added 1 stick it did go down 3 points though. Probably because of the dual channel interleaved.

And you don't set the VRAM in BIOS or at least I have NEVER seen such a place to do so and I have been trying to tweak everything. And it does recognize when I have a video card in that is either 64, 128 or 256 so I think it does recognize the VRAM properly. Apple System Profiler also properly recognizes the CPU type and model number. Just not the proccessor speed.

I think the new version of JaS 10.4.8 is a little to new in that it sets the GMA950 to 64MB same as the Macs.

I think the only real benefit of a video card is that you can play video games and use Maya. Even Final Cut Studio has a workaround for the VRAM type restriction and that is more CPU than anything else.