Messed up Screen

Eggman

23 posts in this topic

I have an Intel 845GV chipset. Apparently, anyone with this chipset has the problem I'm having. I can boot into OSx86, but only with difficulty. My Windows HD is the Primary Master (PM), and the Tiger HD is the Secondary Master (SM). Here's the process I have to go through:

1. Set the BIOS to boot from the PM.
  2. Boot into Windows.
  3. Within a short time frame (I haven't tried above 30 minutes), reboot the computer.
  4. Set the BIOS to boot to the SM.

If I don't follow this process, my screen looks like the attachment. Sorry, I don't have any FTP space of my own. ;) I could not get a screenshot, so ignore the menu bar or window bar being there (the mouse cursor is supposed to be there; for some reason, it's not affected by the glitch). Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

post-7731-1127434190_thumb.png

That may explain why I got that screen once and then everything would be fine... then after the same squares appeared. Although i remember being able to shutdown the computer and then working back on OS X with out squares.

Ill try it out, thank you for being so clever solving the problem for you... ad more intellgent frmo you to let us know that solution.

@Macgirl, thanks, I just found it. I'm sorry to make you come back and post the link here.

For non spanish speakers,

In this thread http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=2906

Macgirl points that typing this in usingle user mode (-s) will alllow you to remove he intel extensions that presumably bring those blue squares.

despues de entrar en Single User escribe esto: / After booting in single user mode type this:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

mv AppleIntel* /var/root/

cd ..

rm Extensions.kextcache Extensions.mkext

reboot

-- Thanks Macgirl

To me it worked the boot in windows and reboot back to OSx86. TRied to do the -s mode procedure but it not succesfully boot(ed?).

I have one partitioned harddrive by the way (not changing bios configs).

Thanks

If you had the same problems I had with Darwin (single-user mode), you probably got read-only-access errors. Try booting into safe mode and follow the instructions in Terminal.

Howev er, I had problems with Macgirl's first method; when I deleted the files, OS X got stuck on the loading screen. If this happens, use Macdrive in Windows to move the original kext files back into the Extensions folder.

If you had the same problems I had with Darwin (single-user mode), you probably got read-only-access errors. Try booting into safe mode and follow the instructions in Terminal.

Howev er, I had problems with Macgirl's first method; when I deleted the files, OS X got stuck on the loading screen. If this happens, use Macdrive in Windows to move the original kext files back into the Extensions folder.

Whe you boot with single user mode there is a message that says specifically that if you want a Read/Write FileSystem you need to write mount -uw /

Don't forget to remove the caches when you move the kexts.

Whe you boot with single user mode there is a message that says specifically that if you want a Read/Write FileSystem you need to write mount -uw /

Don't forget to remove the caches when you move the kexts.

Tried it; didn't work. Same problem as before. I didn't get read errors this time, and I deleted the caches. Do you think I need to use those patched kexts? Or what else should I do?

Well I'll try them.

Don't bother... I already tried them, and they didn't work. I've attached an image that shows my new screen (The difference is at the bottom and far right!). What do you think I can do?

BTW, the mouse in my image isn't the same as the actual mouse on the screen; the real mouse is about three times bigger.

post-7731-1127667969_thumb.png

Try other bit depths, like 24, 16, or 8

Can you change some settings in BIOS. like assigning amount of memory, AGP or PCI, other?

Used every bit depth you listed and increased the AGP aperture size to 256 MB. No difference whatsoever. I've contacted Intel support to see if it's possible to increase Video Buffer Size above 8 MB. Sorry to bother you, Macgirl, but thank you for all your help. Can you think of anything else I can try?

Maybe it would help if I explained my history with this problem. When I had my Video Buffer Size set to 1 MB, I was getting a black and white screen displayed in "256 Colors," with no colors, except for one shade of red and one of blue. When I increased it to 8, I got my current problem.

Also, I find it odd that the "Save picture of screen to a file" function does not work in a cold boot, but everything else (i.e. DeerPark) does.

Is any of this useful?

Don't bother... I already tried them, and they didn't work. I've attached an image that shows my new screen. What do you think I can do?

BTW, the mouse in my image isn't the same as the actual mouse on the screen; the real mouse is about three times bigger.

I've discovered that the patches partially worked. They made more fadey effects throughout the OS, they allowed the monitor to turn off during inactivity and they've allowed me to access more than one resolution. The reason the screen looked different was because the patches changed the default resolution to 800x600.

Basically, the patches seem to work, but there's something else wrong. By the way, this is like my 6th OSx86 installation; every single installation I've tried has had this problem.

i have the same problems with my Intel 865G (built in on Asus P4P800-VM mobo)

the onlyway i have found is removing AppleIntel830* with -x option at boot

i can change resolutions but haven't QE enabled :)

the strange is that other guy with intel 865 (shuttle for example) get it working ...

i have the same problems with my Intel 865G (built in on Asus P4P800-VM mobo)

the onlyway i have found is removing AppleIntel830* with -x option at boot

i can change resolutions but haven't QE enabled :)

the strange is that other guy with intel 865 (shuttle for example) get it working ...

Amazing! I removed AppleIntel830* and now I can cold boot! Only difference is that I applied Lmaurad's patch first. When I had the patch in its entirety (and moving some file from one of the 915 drivers to one of the 830 drivers; sorry, I forget which, but it's in here somewhere), it supported QE. Now, I don't. I attached a before and after of the System Profiler if you care enough (Am I not supposed to support Core Image?). Thanks for finally (mostly) figuring it out! :(

By the way, what am I actually missing by not having QE?

Oh, and here's an odd quirk. Preview doesn't display PNGs or JPGs anymore, but PDFs work fine.

@Eggman, are you able to sleep the OS? with that I mean screen off and harddrive stopped, fan stopped, etc...

Before I applied Lmaurad's patch, only the hard drive would stop; the display wouldn't turn off, but rather freeze. Once I applied his patch, the screen turns off, as well. None of the case fans, nor the CPU fan, ever stopped.

post-7731-1127877554_thumb.png

post-7731-1127877587_thumb.png

I've noticed something odd. I'm hoping that someone out there can help me fix this entirely. I made a PowerPoint presentation that shows my research. I hope that this will be useful to someone that will help fix this for me and others with the same problem. Thank you for helping me! :)

PS: PowerPoint X sucks using Rosetta!

EDIT: I've deleted the PowerPoint file here to save on my space. If you want to see it, look for my topic in the "Collaborate" forum!

EggMan, I have been experiencing the pixellation that you had originally. If I delete the AppleIntel*.kext from System/Library/Extensions/ then I can boot normally without -x safe mode. This state allows me to change resolutions but I do not have any QE enabled.

How did you fix this problem and get QE enabled? is this an extensions cache problem?

I have an ASUS P4P800-MX with a built-in 865GV graphics chip.

Thanks

JT