How to go about patching DSDT for ASUS P8Z77-V PRO?

Kosta88

48 posts in this topic

Due to some little problems I am having, I would like to know if it's possible, for someone not into programming and basically knowing OSX for a week to learn in appropriate time (read days, not years) how to modify the DSDT for my system?

If yes, how would I go about it? When I look at the extracted DSDT, it all looks very complicated to me...

I already saw there are things like DSDT editor, patches, etc, but I find no patches for my board. Latest patches are for Z68, for whatever reason.

The reason why I want to get either a) well patched DSDT or B) patch it myself is because I have some issues with sleep, and finally I would like to be able to install the most possible vanilla OSX, using Apple drivers not 3rd party kexts, like for audio, sata, if possible.

To my understanding, a well done DSDT would make apple drivers work with my components, right?

Anyway, any pointouts would be much appreciated!

Sleep/Wake Problems - generally system won't go to sleep. I tried here different things with darkwake, 0, 1 and 10, as suggested on some threads. Sometimes it will sleep, sometimes not. I read somewhere that someone solved it with the custom DSDT for their own board. The cause was on their system the BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.helpd.sdmbuilding", which was apparently gone after custom DSDT which removed yellow drives (I removed mine with custom SATA drivers from the multib.), but the message won't go away. I don't really know what it's doing, I know there is a way of disabling it, but I don't like disabling features of the OS. I can also push the system to sleep manually, the waking becomes a gambling though… sometimes it will wake, sometimes not and reset.

Network - no WOL. Maybe it could be solved by custom DSDT, I don't know…?

Sound - possibly running with the original Apple kext? I read it's possible, also through DSDT…?

I guess that's it. In the end, I would like to configure UEFI boot with Clover, and this is also where a custom DSDT would come in handy.

Sound: There is no way to use an unmodified AppleHDA, Apple does not support this chipset. The only thing you can do, is inject the layout-id with a custom DSDT. Try the AppleHDA from the download section in case you got any issues.

USB3 ASMedia: Works with "CalDigit" drivers.

There is no difference between legacy and uefi boot in regards of a DSDT table.

I would recommend you to look at the modifications done to similar boards and to try to adapt them if needed. There is no easy way to find out everything you need, except you find an already existing complete guide for your board.

OK, so in the attempt to make the most vanilla installation of the OSX on my board and following this here:

- network should work out of the box?

- use AppleHDA from downloads for ALC892

- FakeSMC as per guide (and possibly NullCPUPowerManagement needed at beginning, not needed now)

What are these CalDigit drivers? When googling, I find the official site only… I have a problem that when at clean install, I see yellow icons. What is the best way to fixing that? IOAHCI from the downloads here?

As to UEFI, yeah, that much I figured, however isn't legacy a bit more forgiving when it comes to setting up the OSX?

Is there a way to know which patches I would need for my board, so I can download and apply them from olarila? Unfortunately, those things like HPET, DTGP etc, tell me not much…

Also reading your guide here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285697-asus-p8z77-v-lk/

Other than all that, currently when I run the System Info and Check Compatibility, I get almost all green, and some with smiley. I guess then on the current install, there is not much to be done…?

The only missing question is the buggy sleep then…eg:

- doesn't go to sleep by itself, I checked two things:

- darkwake 0, 1 or 10, no go

- pmset -g assertions - I get following:

- Listed by owning process:

pid 17(powerd): [0x00000009000004f1] 00:55:19 ExternalMedia named: "com.apple.powermanagement.externalmediamounted"

pid 1787(helpd): [0x0000000c0000056e] 00:29:47 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.helpd.sdmbuilding"

- it won't wake up each time, sometimes it will just reset instead of waking up

And this is exactly why I wanted to do a reinstall, see if I can do as vanilla as possible, to see if I can get sleep fixed, as this is one of the most important things for me - I keep my computer on all the time, with sleep function, so I can wake it over LAN/3G, for streaming videos to iPhone/iPad.

CalDigit drivers will work for you if you adapt the Info.plist to your device id. Alternatively you can get this package from the download section which bundles everything you should need.

Regarding DSDT, Z77 boards don't need great modifications. They work out of the box usually but you can of course still try to optimize things here and there.

You should focus on the non working devices/functions.

I would even say it's the other way round. With UEFI new bugs might pop up like the Wake bug which leads to random restarts after using Sleep, which is not solved yet.

Sadly I can't tell you anything about the other devices.

EDIT:

You should use a more recent FakeSMC version like this for example.

Edited by k3nny

This package, the ASMedia USB3, is this only for USB3 or also to fix yellow drives? I'm just about to test-install the vanilla with fakesmc only, and see how the system does. The DSDT I will be loading is only the one from the DSDT Editor, then fixed errors and saved.

And then we shall see what System Info says.

I will use this newer fakesmc, thanks.

You either need to use the HDAEnabler kext and set layout-id in its Info.plist to 1 or use a custom DSDT. You can find the necessary DSDT edits in the _DSM section of device HDEF in my topic for instance.

As I wrote, compare your DSDT with mine and look at device HDEF. They should be identical, except that your DSDT won't have the _DSM method - and this is what you need. Copy&paste it and see if the code compiles.

EDIT:

If you can't get it to work, post your DSDT. I will add the modification.

EDIT2:

You will also need to paste the method DTGP if you haven't done it yet. It is needed for injections like this.

Edited by k3nny

OK, managed to edit it in. I mean, if I *knew* that the the left side in the DSDT editor is a kind of a navigation and the right side is the file, the whole thing would go faster, lol... you see how it can fail on really simple things!

Now to uninstall the voodoo and put your hda kext in and see how it does!

In the meantime, the ASMedia USB3 drivers... you say to look up the vendor and device ID. I looked into system information, and not much there. Where should I look this up? I guess though they would be the same since these boards are virtually the same, and the controller is probably the same.

And of the both kexts, both need to be installed and only the HCI one needs to be edited?

You can try searching with IORegistryExplorer or use the lspci output from DarwinDumper.

The latter will probably be faster. It will show all pci devices, their names, adresses (also used in your DSDT) and device ids.

System Info should produce some similar output to lspci.

EDIT:

Success! The volume icon was only missing. Thing is working! Damn heavy birth... thanks for great help, finally some positive things out of this :)

And yes, indeed, the System Info did the job. Shows everything. And the numbers are indeed the same.

Now the Caldigit drivers: no go. Modified the Info.Plist, and upon putting them in, no boot. Simply hangs, monitor starts slowly going off, but the computer is still on... doesn't go much further.

• Like 1