How to go about patching DSDT for ASUS P8Z77-V PRO?

Kosta88

48 posts in this topic

I found a thread on tonymac that people just updated to FW 1.00.05 from Asus directly, and got it to work, only problem was the wake, and this is what you fixed with the DSDT.

But like you said, you found this, and the modified date is different than the one from Asus.

I'm thinking of just not updating these, as I 1) barely use these ports 2) have to change it to something unofficial and unknown

Another little issue:

I have the orange icons on two drives. I read there are more solutions, but I would really prefer doing this via DSDT. The injector proposed breaks hot-swapping, which is kind of a no-go for me, since I have like 6 external disks and a bay. There is an option to change the icons, but this is also halfway solution as they look like external drives in the Finder.

Finally, I found AHCI SATA Orange icon.txt on olarila.com, containing this:

# Change ID of SATA device to fake ESB2 AHCI (silver icons for internal HDs instead of orange ones)

#

into method label _DSM parent_adr 0x001F0002 remove_entry;

into device name_adr 0x001F0002 insert

begin

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n

{\n

Store (Package (0x02)\n

{\n

"device-id", \n

Buffer (0x04)\n

{\n

0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00\n

}\n

}, Local0)\n

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))\n

Return (Local0)\n

}

end

I guess this is because those two drives run off the ASMedia 1061 controller and OSX doesn't recognize it, and calls it Unknown AHCI Standard Controller.

So, I inserted this into my dsdt, still no go however, they are still orange. I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong ;-)

I don't know much about this issue and haven't been able to find a universal fix for it right now. You could just replace the icon for each affected drive?

Can you post your ioreg and lspci output from DarwinDumper (not System Info)? Just want to compare our systems.

Your boot loader is set to drop your OEM SSDT tables which is not necessary and maybe even bad. Among other things they contain some information about your SATA ports. You should turn off that option.

No, you already supply a custom SSDT file for your boot loader. Have you really overclocked your CPU to 4,8GHz? If not I believe you use a wrong state table. Use this script to generate one for your CPU.

According to your new ioreg all drives are marked as internal. Are you sure you still got the wrong icons?

No, you already supply a custom SSDT file for your boot loader. Have you really overclocked your CPU to 4,8GHz? If not I believe you use a wrong state table. Use this script to generate one for your CPU.

According to your new ioreg all drives are marked as internal. Are you sure you still got the wrong icons?

Hehe, yeah really running 4.8 and the ssdt is created through that script.

Funny what you say about the drives... Can you tell me how do you read that out exactly?

Take a look at the IORegistryExplorer.

Open device path PCI0-RP04-PXSX. That's your ASMedia SATA controller with 2 ports PRT0 and PRT1. Expand both until you can see the hard drive product name and click it. On the right side you will see a property named IOMediaIcon which will either point to an "Internal.icns" or an "External.icns" icon file.

The Intel SATA ports are at PCI0-SAT0 and range from SPT0 to SPT5.

The first ioreg dump you sent me showed external icons for the ASMedia chipset but the last one shows that internal icons are used.

post-129936-0-35852000-1365708589_thumb.png

Well, I don't know really any more. I was test-installing today, the thing you helped me with, I was in a fresh install of OSX. However, I might have in the middle of testing installed the AHCI 3rd party drivers from MB, which actually solve the issue, making drives internal. Hot-swapping is killed however, and this is what I was trying to avoid. I am now back in my "old" install, I just used Acronis boot USB to switch back, I do that a lot ;-) Takes all about 20min...

I just checked in my "old" install, the icons are internal when drivers kext is installed, they go external when I remove it. Also when I install the olarila patch into dsdt, one drive gets a normal icon, but the other two are still orange. All in all, very weird.

I might just as well do a full normal install soon, now that I'm almost done with all the tests.

k3nny, I just wanted to express you my sincere thanks for hanging out with me here yesterday, I'm finally starting to understand some stuff, especially when it comes to editing DSDT and why, I don't AT ALL grasp what is in there, like what all those "signs" are, but I do get it so I can make my next endeavor:

http://rampagedev.wo...rd-into-a-dsdt/

:thumbsup_anim:

And now I really have a vanilla OSX, which is cool, leaving all those "tools" behind. I like it, having control over it, on my own.

• Like 3