Diamond XtremeSound 7.1

Nofences

5 posts in this topic

Ok, rather than a post asking for help or bitching about something that doesnt work, I thought I would be helpful.

I have been searching for a new inexpensive internal PCI soundcard (since I was unable to get my built in soundcard to work AD1981HD) and today I came across the Diamond XtremeSound 7.1 card. It is based on the CMI8768 chipset. I was unable to find any info at all on the forums about this particular chipset, but I found a couple threads about the CMI8738.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&hl=cmi8738

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&hl=cmi8738

I downloaded the homebrew Kext built for this chipset by dogbert, dropped it in to the /System/Library/Extensions folder ran chown root:wheel and chmod 755 and viola!!! It works. Well at least audio out works, I have no way to test other features (i.e. 7.1 channel, line in, etc...) but it does what I wanted all along, plays iTunes, movies, and allows me to hear what I want to edit in iDVD et. al.

So, if you are interested, I picked this up at Staples for $30

If you buy one I would be interested in knowing if you got it to work, and if you are able to get all of the features working, but I am afraid I wouldn't be much help in troubleshooting, so dont bother asking me, I would recommend trying one of the posts above. I am a newb just like most everyone else.

Good Luck,

Nofences

I am very interested in this.

If you try to plug your speakers in some of the other channels, do they still play?

For example, if you plug your speakers in the center channel connection, does any sound come out of your speakers?

Of course, this would be unpractical for you but I am just trying to determine if your 7.1 channels are supported.

I tested the rest of the channels.

Front and Rear out work great...

Center, Alt. Center, Mic in, and Line In do not work at all.

Hope that helps.

I imagine if someone knew the device ID for this particular chipset, we could edit the kext and try it again, but I have searched for it and had no luck finding it.

Also, I was in Office Max today and saw the Diamond XtremeSound 5.1 for $19.99 I would assume it uses the C-Media chipset this kext was originally written for since it is a 5 channel card and not a 7 channel. But I am only guessing.

Nofences

• 2 months later...