GPT disks?

munky

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm going to be setting up a RAID mirror on my hackintosh to act as 'safer' storage for my Aperture library. Since I wont be booting from these disks, I guess I am free to go with non-MBR partitioning, if I want to.

Does anyone have any experience of GPT or APM disks on a hackintosh? Is there any advantage over MBR? Does it even work?

If not, I might just try it anyway. I'll post my results...

GTP disks are kind of like dynamic disks. The idea behind GTP disks are you can have volumes over 2TB in size, which is a limit with MBR disks. AFAIK, only windows 2003 SP1 is able to use/boot off of drives marked with GTP, so having a GTP disk might prevent you from booting a HFS+ partition (MacOS).

Advantages:

MBR only writes the information on track 0

GPT writes at the begining and at the end of the disk for backup purposes

MBR only supports 4 primary partitions

GPT 32 (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Other advantages that you wont see are that you can boot from any GPT partition without any boot loader.

enb14 - thanks for the info.

having absorbed your info, and having dug a little deeper, it sounds like GPT might be the way to go:

5. Is EFI required for a GPT disk?

No. GPT disks are self-identifying. All the information needed to interpret the partitioning scheme of a GPT disk is completely contained in structures in specified locations on the physical media.

So that means it should work just fine on a Hackintosh. Also, as you said:

GPT disks use primary and backup partition tables for redundancy and CRC32 fields for improved partition data structure integrity.

Definitely sounds like it'll be more reliable. Thanks, I think i'll go with a GPT-based RAID1 setup :D

Update: I havent gone RAID yet, but I finished emptying one of the disks, so I erased it and set it up as a GPT disk with a single partition. Seems to be working fine, though I noticed that under GPT the formatted capacity is less - by a few hundred Mb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...