Why sleep?

12 posts in this topic

I am curious of why non-laptop users would be interested in sleeping the computer instead of powering it down or just turning off the monitor.

Do you like getting sleep to work because its one of those things where you have to be as close as possible to a real Mac?

I am sorry if I am putting this in the wrong place.

For me, there is one main reason: energy bills. According to EnergyStar you do in fact save a decent amount of money from power-saving modes like sleep, so this for me is enough incentive to give it a try. That said, with SSDs being what they are, I don't mind having to power down and restart over-night. Another small reason is that sleep mode will automatically disconnect me from Skype and Google Chat for a little while if I'm away...yes, there are "away" features on both of these but I have those set already so that family doesn't bother me ;)

• Like 3

Prior to having 7970: Just for fun, never use it.

After having 7970: Only to make desktop show up after boot, otherwise never use it.

2 seconds is too long for me, I want my hack available right when I needs it! :) And I screen share to it from my MacBook pretty much always. old MacBook=Hackintosh desktop on my bed :)

Prior to having 7970: Just for fun, never use it.

After having 7970: Only to make desktop show up after boot, otherwise never use it.

2 seconds is too long for me, I want my hack available right when I needs it! :) And I screen share to it from my MacBook pretty much always. old MacBook=Hackintosh desktop on my bed :)

hahhaah

Desktop on your bed ?

• Like 1

If you wanna save electric power shut down your computer, to be honest I never understod what the deal was with everybody talking about sleep and how they struggle to make it work. The only computer that sleeps in my home is my old mac mini and thats only cause Im lazy. I cant see no real use for sleep but for remote acces.