Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

5 posts in this topic

I’ve got one last problem with my setup that I’m really hoping you guys can help me get sorted. Under OSX, after sleep, the GPU idle temp jumps to what I would call an unsafe level.

For starters, this GPU runs quite hot anyway, which I’m led to believe is normal. Some people say it can safely go as high as 105° before starting to damage itself… but yeah, there’s no way I plan on ever running it that hot. With an ambient temp of about 25° it normally idles around the 55° mark under both Windows and OSX. But under OSX, once woken from sleep (until the next reboot), for whatever reason the idle temp dramatically jumps about 30°, putting it at almost 85! This is still okay for this card, if it were under heavy load that is, but no way should the idle temp ever be this high.

As far as I know, only one thing can be going wrong here. For whatever reason, once woken from sleep, the correct signals aren’t getting through to the card to tell it to adjust the fan speed as necessary. I’ve tried flashing the card bios (NVflash) to set a higher minimum speed for the fan – it was 30, I set it to 80 – but the problem there is that in both in OSX (and Windows too for that matter), the drivers seem to be overriding this limit. I can tell just from what I can hear that the fan is not at 80% power right now.

I’d really like to know what sleep is doing to mess up the GPU fan speed and see if we can fix this under OSX.

GPU: Nvidia Quadro 4000

MB: GA-x79-UP4 (Sleep enabled with SleepEnabler.kext)

OSX: 10.8.2

Anything else I can post to help, please let me know.

If anyone was interested, in the end I took a low-tech approach and just attached an additional fan to the back of the card. This brought temps down 12-15° across the board. Still hot, but now acceptable.

Any software based solutions, I'd still love to hear, but I should be alright for now.

Bumping this topic up since ive experiencing the same problem with my hackintosh. i have found that my graphics card (which normally runs at 335mhz at idle) will wake up from sleep at almost its highest power state running at ~1ghz and stay there at idle bumping temps from the normal ~27 degree C range to about 55-60degree range.

Also found that when my hackintosh goes to sleep, the graphics card fan stays running constantly?

i7 3930K @ 4.4ghz

GTX 670 MSI OC edition

running latest kext's (27/7/13)

Non-DSDT boot.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zekeer
      Hello everybody
      I have GA-B250-HD3, and core i5 6500 CPU whith inernal graphics
      I'am happy that Mac OS X High Sierra on my machine is work very well, but 1 trouble is saddens me.
      Sleep/Hybernation dont work. I tryied to write several darkwake options in Clover, and tryied to change
      hibernatemode 0,3,25. I am newbie at hackintosh, and i think that if i want that sleep is working i need to patch DSDT, but i cant do it.
      If somebody have this motherboard too and know how repair sleep, please help.

Sorry for my English, i hope somebody understood me =)
      UPD: I solved the problem and hibernation worked very well whith integrated graphics hd530.
      If you want to hibernation works:
      - put atached  HibernationFixup.kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
      - put atached AptioMemoryFix.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
      -delete EmuVariableUefi-64.efi from /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
      - in terminal enter
      sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25 -in config.plist add boot args:
      -hbfx-patch-pci=XHC -hbfx-dump-nvram and
      <key>StrictHibernate</key> <true/> My config.plist is atached, i hope it wil be useful
    • By safar
      Hi   Clover limits the number of gpus to 4 :   from Clover source code : rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/Settings.c :   GFX_PROPERTIES                  gGraphics[4]; //no more then 4 graphics cards   Anybody knows why?   This number is limiting for me : - 1x gpu is AMD display GPU - 1x gpu is Supermicro's built-in vga IKVM output (Matrox 0x532102B)  
      - 3x gpus Nvidia for Cuda   I At present, I have to take off one Nvidia (but I'm trying to disable the build-in vga IKVM output through software, so that it's available for other operating systems : I'll make another post on that topic, to keep things clean)
    • By innerd
      Hi guys, sorry for my English in first place.
      I'm having problems with sleep in high sierra, when I leave the pc it goes into sleep and reboots, same thing when I close the screen. If I use the fn keys instead the screen remains black. It works, sometimes, if I use the option from the menu. I attach the clover folder and ioreg. Thanks in advance
    • By rtke333
      I'm facing a problem on my notebook.
      I have: 
      Acer Aspire V 15 V5-591G-55TU
      Skylake-H PC-H
      i5-6300HQ - HD 530 - Skylake
      4+4 GB DDR4
      optimus GTX 950M (disabled)
      BRCM94352Z wifi
      Windows 8.1 & High Sierra 10.13.3

Natively sleep isn't working, there is a blank screen after sleep, so I used custom EDID Inject to get it working.
      Before sleep, everything is working fine, but after sleep, I couldn't open videos(on youtube or anywhere higher than 240p), pictures, FaceTime.
      This is a hardware decode problem, so I opened terminal and typed this:
      defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwareVideoDecoder disable After this, Safari and video players could open HD or any videos after sleep, but Chrome not responding (Chrome forced hardware acceleration, and good after disabled that in advanced settings), FaceTime, Preview also not responding, and the pictures on hdd just loading too, nothing happens. Problem exist on all HS versions (13.0 - 13.3). On Sierra 10.12.6 this problem does not exists. Here I'll attach informations (ioreg, CLOVER, screenshot). Kext using at boot for skylake: Lilu, IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup, IntelGraphicsFixup.
      I'll appreciate any help.