HP Envy 17t-3200 - Install and Run OS X/macOS

mnfesq

422 posts in this topic

Ok, is there a way to get the ATI 7850m in my HP Envy 17t-3200 to work in Mavericks?

Not unless you have the 3D version of the HP Envy 17t-3200.  Otherwise, like me, you are stuck with the Intel HD4000, which works great except for gaming.

BTW, look above (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286287-guide-ml-on-hp-envy-17-3200-cto/?p=1971882) to get the Mavericks kexts/files I use.  I think that since I uploaded that, I got native power management working so I can now use the vanilla power management/battery management kexts.

How do you actually get the Envy 17t-3200 to boot off of usb using clover UEFI? The thumbdrive is formatted with a GUID partition table, HFS+ journaled, clover is installed in its own partition.

I have been playing around with different setups and have had no luck. Following your basic install for mountain lion but using the kexts and dsdt for mavericks will boot, but reboots after loading a few kexts without a kernel panic, so I decided to try using the clover bootloader, and it doesn't even attempt to start the boot loader. I am currently running Bios F.0B.

I have Clover and the Mavericks installation all on the same partition on my USB drive.  It's much easier than trying to get Clover to work on its own EFI partition.  Install Clover onto the partition that has your Mavericks files.  Then add the DSDT and SSDT in the patched ACPI folder and put the config.plist in the Clover folder.

I'm having trouble getting my USB drive to boot also.  I installed Clover to the root of the USB along with Mavericks.  This is my first time doing this, so I'm trying to understand and learn as I go along.  If I follow your ML guide, where it tells me to install the ktext, do I install ONLY the ones from the Mavericks file you have posted or do I install the ML ktexts and the Mavericks ktext also.  Also, I noticed the ML ktext has the FakeSMC and the Mavericks ktexts does not. Do I need to install the fakeSMC from the ML ktext file?  Also, sorry for all the questions, but is there a way to install the ktext with the Ktext Wizard if you forgot one install one.  I forgot one and tried to install, but it did not give me my target disk name, just number 1 and 2.

Thank you for your help. 

Would you mind uploading the SSDT that works with the DSDT in the mavericks file set? 

OK, I'm going to have to get serious about writing a guide for the installation of Mavericks because I am making things too confusing by dealing with Mavericks installations in this guide for ML.

All hackintoshes require FakeSMC.kext.  It is the one kext that is absolutely required on a PC running OS X.  It needs to be installed on the USB drive and ultimately on your system drive.  

Here are the kexts you need to add to the USB installer and to your Mavericks installation in S/L/E.

MavKexts.zip

Here is the DSDT and SSDT that goes in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched:

DSDT&SSDT.zip

Here is my Clover config.plist:

config.plist.zip

Be sure when you set up your USB installer that you have mach_kernel in the root.

Quick question, do I install the Extra folder and the OSInstall.mpeg file to my USB also? When I try to install the ktexts using Kext Wizard, on the Installation tab, the destination of System/Library/Extensions is grayed out. The target disk will only allow me to choose anything. The the only radio button that can be chosen is the" Extensions.mkext on desktop"

I ended up giving up on mavericks for now. Instead, after many issues I was able to get mountain lion running. However, I patched up to 10.8.5 and can't get it to work with power management. Is there a version of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement around that works with 10.8.5? I had to use NullCpuPowerManagement.kext instead to get the laptop to boot, and it has no battery or power management.

Well, I managed to make a USB drive.  I followed the instructions. I created a single partition GUID with OS X Base System installed.  I copied the "Packages" folder over.  I DID NOT copy the ML EXTRA folder over.  I did copy the "OSInstall.mpkg file and the OSInstall file to the appropriate locations as stated in the guide.  I installed the ktexts for Mavericks from the download in Post #82 to the proper locations.  I deleted the AppleHDA.ktext.  I then repaired the permissions in the Extensions folder and moved the Extensions.mktext file that was created.  I installed Clover to the root of the USB.  I copied the Clover config.plist file to the EFI/Clover folder.  Lastly, I copied the DSDT and SSDT files over to the EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched folder.  I restarted the computer, hit ESC, chose F9 for Boot Order, chose USB Flash Drive, hit Enter and the computer boots to Windows.  When I go to safe mode, the USB flash drive is not recognized as a drive.  It can be found in the Device and Printers screen.  

I was hoping to have Mac OS X installed.  I have owned many Macs in the past.  I love to tinker around with computers.  I'm trying to learn how to do all this.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you. 

How do you actually get the Envy 17t-3200 to boot off of usb using clover UEFI? The thumbdrive is formatted with a GUID partition table, HFS+ journaled, clover is installed in its own partition.

I have been playing around with different setups and have had no luck. Following your basic install for mountain lion but using the kexts and dsdt for mavericks will boot, but reboots after loading a few kexts without a kernel panic, so I decided to try using the clover bootloader, and it doesn't even attempt to start the boot loader. I am currently running Bios F.0B.

Do you have the 3D or non 3D?

Well, I managed to make a USB drive.  I followed the instructions. I created a single partition GUID with OS X Base System installed.  I copied the "Packages" folder over.  I DID NOT copy the ML EXTRA folder over.  I did copy the "OSInstall.mpkg file and the OSInstall file to the appropriate locations as stated in the guide.  I installed the ktexts for Mavericks from the download in Post #82 to the proper locations.  I deleted the AppleHDA.ktext.  I then repaired the permissions in the Extensions folder and moved the Extensions.mktext file that was created.  I installed Clover to the root of the USB.  I copied the Clover config.plist file to the EFI/Clover folder.  Lastly, I copied the DSDT and SSDT files over to the EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched folder.  I restarted the computer, hit ESC, chose F9 for Boot Order, chose USB Flash Drive, hit Enter and the computer boots to Windows.  When I go to safe mode, the USB flash drive is not recognized as a drive.  It can be found in the Device and Printers screen.  

I was hoping to have Mac OS X installed.  I have owned many Macs in the past.  I love to tinker around with computers.  I'm trying to learn how to do all this.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you. 

It sounds like your installation of Clover failed to make the USB drive bootable.  Here is what your setup should look like:

post-270804-0-24705700-1398491258_thumb.png

It has also worked for me when I installed the bootloader option "install boot0af in MBR"

Ok. I reinstalled Clover with the above settings. Now, it will boot to Clover. When I try to install the Mac OS, it will proceed to the screen with the Apple logo and a spinning circle. After a few minutes, the screen will flash and the spinning circle will change to the spinning beach ball. It will hang on this screen. Any ideas how to fix?

Just for your info, I did not use any of the ktext from the ML download folder, just the ktexts for Mavericks. I know that in the ML guide, the DSDT.ami and the SSDT.ami where installed in the EXTRA folder. In the Mavericks install they were to be placed in the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder.

Do you know how to boot in safe mode and verbose mode?  At the Clover page, select options and then in boot args, type in -x -v.  Then return to the main Clover page and boot from the USB installer.  It will let you see where it hangs.  In all likelihood, it will not hang because you booted in safe mode.  If it still hangs, take a picture of your screen and post it so I can see what's going on.  Good luck.

Do you know how to boot in safe mode and verbose mode? At the Clover page, select options and then in boot args, type in -x -v. Then return to the main Clover page and boot from the USB installer. It will let you see where it hangs. In all likelihood, it will not hang because you booted in safe mode. If it still hangs, take a picture of your screen and post it so I can see what's going on. Good luck.

Ok, thank you. I will a little later when I get home. Thank you for all the help.

I done as you said to the Clover boot args.  This is the screen that popped up.  Sorry for the bad picture.

e4uf.jpg

Here is a close up shot.

zh26.jpg

OK, I see that you booted up to the installer and started the installation.  The problem I think you are having is that, with Mavericks, you do not need to change the OSInstall.mpkg.  Just use the one that's in there.  So you can just extract that and insert it into your USB installer and I think you'll be able to complete the installation.  In the meantime, you should erase the bad installation and start over from scratch (not the USB installer, just the bad installation.)

You said above that you copied and pasted the OSInstall.mpkg the way it was described in the guide.  The guide is for ML.  You are installing Mavericks.  For Mavericks, you did not need to do that so you need to get the original OSInstall.mpkg back and put that in your USB installer in the packages folder.  That is, unless you are installing Mavericks in a partition that is on a disk that also has a Windows partition.  Let me know which set up you have and I'll help you from there.  The bottom line is that you need to do one thing if you have a GUID partition and another if you have an MBR partition.

You said above that you copied and pasted the OSInstall.mpkg the way it was described in the guide. The guide is for ML. You are installing Mavericks. For Mavericks, you did not need to do that so you need to get the original OSInstall.mpkg back and put that in your USB installer in the packages folder. That is, unless you are installing Mavericks in a partition that is on a disk that also has a Windows partition. Let me know which set up you have and I'll help you from there. The bottom line is that you need to do one thing if you have a GUID partition and another if you have an MBR partition.

I have a hard drive with Windows 7 64 bit. I partitioned 100gb for a Mac OSX install.

Then you need a patched OSInstall.mpkg.  You can get it here:

2.3. A note for those wishing to boot OS X and Windows on the same HDD

(This is not recommended but may be necessary for those installing on laptops)
The OS X installer won’t install to an MBR partition scheme which Windows requires so we must patch the installer to allow this. If you intend on dual-booting OS X and Windows 7 then I suggest you install Windows 7 and update to Service Pack 1 before you install OS X to prevent problems updating to SP1 later. How to patch:
1. Download the required files from here:

http://www.osx86.net...kg_10.8.gm.html

2. On the USB stick navigate to /System/Installation/Packages/. Delete OSInstall.mpkg and replace it with the one you just downloaded.
3. On the USB stick navigate to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/. Delete OSInstall and replace it with the one you just downloaded.

OK, I managed to get to the OSX installation screen. When it ask me where do I want to install, it only shows my USB drive. When I go into Disk Utility, it shows my 750GB hard drive. My Windows 7 is installed here. I created a partition in Disk Management for a 100GB Mac OS X install. It is showing up as free space. I'm kind of at a roadblock on what to do next. I don't want to harm my Windows 7 install. How can I get a Mac partition created?

When you get to the OS X installation screen, select Utilities from the menu bar and then Disk Utility.  Format your 100 GB partition in Mac OS Extended (Journaled).  Exit Disk Utility and go back to the OS X installation screen.  Then you should see it as available for installation.  

When you get to the OS X installation screen, select Utilities from the menu bar and then Disk Utility.  Format your 100 GB partition in Mac OS Extended (Journaled).  Exit Disk Utility and go back to the OS X installation screen.  Then you should see it as available for installation.  

I tried that.  It shows "Current" and has 5 blocks.  There is one block with no name and when I click on it it tells me that it is free space.  I'm not able to format it.  But it is the 100GB partition that I created in Windows 7 Disk Management.