Need sound card and vid card for 10.4.6

21 posts in this topic

Hi all, I finally found the forum I need.

I am building a machine, I want it to run both Windoze and OSX86 (possibly Linux as well).

Here is what I've got so far:

Mobo

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe NVIDIA Socket 939 Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / SLI Ready / Dual Gigabit LAN / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / Dual RAID

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...p?EdpNo=1179727

CPU

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ / 2MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Dual-Core / Processor

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...877&CatId=0

Memory

2x 1GB / DDR-400 / 184 pins ..... made by KTI, I think

Case

Thermaltake VA3000BWA Tsunami Dream Tower, Black w/ Window

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?Pag...D=4794&SID=

Really cool looking case, that one is a real chick magnet .... right? Right!

Hard Drives

2x Seagate 250GB Barracuda 7200.10 SATA II w/ NCQ, 8MB Cache

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?Pag...D=8770&SID=

2x IDE 120MB Western from my old machine.

Now I am going to need a vid card and a sound card.

I have about 400$ to spare for the vid card and no more than 200$ for the sound card.

I would prefer to get my vid card from BFG but I know I can't be too picky. I hope to get at least 256MB on it and of course, it must be a PCI-e. Any suggestions on which vid card I can get?

I have my eye on this one: eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GT CO 256MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, VIVO

What do you think?

The sound card, I really would like to get a PCI card but I read that it might be difficult to find one that would be supported so I might have to go with USB. I currently have an Audigy2 card with the 5.25 inch from panel controls, can I keep it in my new set-up?

I want/need a 24 bit card .... Sound Blasters are nice but difficult to support. Any suggestions on what I should get?

I will also need a tuner card. I haven't found a list of supported tuner cards. Anybody knows what kind of tuner card would be supported?

Thanx for your help and suggestions.

PepeLapiu in Calgary, Alberta

Hi all, I finally found the forum I need.

I am building a machine, I want it to run both Windoze and OSX86 (possibly Linux as well).

Here is what I've got so far:

Mobo

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe NVIDIA Socket 939 Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / SLI Ready / Dual Gigabit LAN / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / Dual RAID

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...p?EdpNo=1179727

CPU

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ / 2MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Dual-Core / Processor

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...877&CatId=0

Memory

2x 1GB / DDR-400 / 184 pins ..... made by KTI, I think

Case

Thermaltake VA3000BWA Tsunami Dream Tower, Black w/ Window

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?Pag...D=4794&SID=

Really cool looking case, that one is a real chick magnet .... right? Right!

Hard Drives

2x Seagate 250GB Barracuda 7200.10 SATA II w/ NCQ, 8MB Cache

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?Pag...D=8770&SID=

2x IDE 120MB Western from my old machine.

Now I am going to need a vid card and a sound card.

I have about 400$ to spare for the vid card and no more than 200$ for the sound card.

I would prefer to get my vid card from BFG but I know I can't be too picky. I hope to get at least 256MB on it and of course, it must be a PCI-e. Any suggestions on which vid card I can get?

I have my eye on this one: eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GT CO 256MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, VIVO

What do you think?

The sound card, I really would like to get a PCI card but I read that it might be difficult to find one that would be supported so I might have to go with USB. I currently have an Audigy2 card with the 5.25 inch from panel controls, can I keep it in my new set-up?

I want/need a 24 bit card .... Sound Blasters are nice but difficult to support. Any suggestions on what I should get?

I will also need a tuner card. I haven't found a list of supported tuner cards. Anybody knows what kind of tuner card would be supported?

Thanx for your help and suggestions.

PepeLapiu in Calgary, Alberta

wow your picking like the worst combo of parts ever for osx86 :)

nforce has difficulty installing on sata or even reading in some cases so expect to only see the ide drives

x2 will prolly have to disable one of the cores and you probably won't be able to use the ss3 patch so slow itunes ;)

nvidia 7800GT(or any nvidia video chipset for that matter) has no qe/ci/gl support at this time

I suggest you read through the HCL thenmake your decisions....good luck...(btw suggest you look into the intel & ati route...it may be a little more compatible)

nvidia 7800GT(or any nvidia video chipset for that matter) has no qe/ci/gl support at this time

I suggest you read through the HCL thenmake your decisions....good luck...(btw suggest you look into the intel & ati route...it may be a little more compatible)

But I did read the HCL .... for the v.10.4.6 that is!

Here is what it had to say about my A8N SLI Deluxe:

Everything works fine except for onboard network drivers. This driver fixed that though

And here is what it had to say about my Athlon 64 X2 4400+(Socket 939, 2x1MB L2):

Runs great with SSE2 patch. SSE3 patch causes kernel panic

The two items above have already been ordered. I pretty much though that if I follow the HCL, I'd be fine but you still think I'll be having issues with my choices above?

And here is what the HCL had to say about my planned eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GT CO 256MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, VIVO:

eVGA 7600 GT, 7800 GT, PCI-e, 256MB

No patching from JaS release.

Full work: Yes

But under resolution, it indicates 1280x1024 .... does that mean it's the only resolution possible/available? If so, I don't need this card.

Anyway, I am not sure I understand here, you tell me my stuff is bad choice and you refer me to the HCL page but the the HCL page said my stuff is well supported ???????

What do you think of this one:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...anufacture=eVGA

Here is what the HCL v10.4.6. page has to say about it:

its not that you cannot get that stuff to work...you probably can...however it will take you 100 times more work than if you got an intel chipset with a intel processor. As for nforce SATA you can get it to work however there are a lot of problems with data corruption so i'd be weary about using nforce sata in osx86.

As far as your x2 you may have to disable a core and drop it down to sse2 so you'll end up buying a dual core processor that runs at celeron speeds in macosx.

as for any nvidia video cards...the macvidia driver does not support qe/ci or opengl on any card...you may be able to get screen resolutions but its far from fully working

you can check out its latest developments here:

http://macvidia.starchaser.org/

Dude, you are talking jeberish to me.

I am getting frustrated here with all the tecky terms so how about this: I give you my requirements and you find me the hardware, cool? Can you do this?

Vid card: I want a good video card, at least 256MB and HDTV (I think that means I can plug my TV on it, no?). I can spend around 3-400$ on the card.

Mobo: I want SATA, but I am not sure if you are saying if I can have that or not in a Hackintosh?!?

I want at least 6 USB ports with two up front.

One PCI-e slot, maybe two for future expansion.

At least 3 PCI slots.

I wish they wouldn't make mobos with integrated sound but looks like I have no choice in that regard, they all have that nowadays.

Sound card: A good 24bit sound card with 5.1 or 7.1 and preferably a PCI card over a USB one, if at all possible. I have the Audigy ZS but I understand that wouldn't work for OSX ... right?

CPU: two cores if possible and I can spare about 3-400$ for that, I prefer socket 939 since I already have the 2GB of RAM sticks for that but I don't know if socket 939 is practical in a Hackintosh. Any other socket/processor and I need to buy more RAM sticks for that. It's my understanding that an Intel dual core is about 30% faster than an AMD dual core so having to switch to Intel wouldn't be a terrible thing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated here .... thanx!

PepeLapiu in Calgary, Canada

WHY WOULD HE NOT BOTHER?

I don't understand, is what I ask not reasonable?

I am getting frustrated here with all the tecky terms so how about this: I give you my requirements and you find me the hardware, cool? Can you do this?

This is just plain rude! It takes a lot of time and effort to spec out a computer within a certain budget and you are basically pushing that off on someone else who has a life to live. Take the time to learn all you need to learn and then spec out your own computer.

WHY WOULD HE NOT BOTHER?

I don't understand, is what I ask not reasonable?

you sir, are out of control.

Do you think people have nothing better to do than sit around answerign newbie questions?

We don't get paid for this, you know.

I hope that NO ONE answers your mindless questions, so that you might realize early on that life will not spoon-feed you.

Well, I can see how some might have gotten insulted .... earlier I wrote:

Dude, you are talking jeberish to me.

I am getting frustrated here with all the tecky terms ....

I should explain that I was not getting frustrated with you wondergod, I was getting frustrated with trying to find some supported hardware, every time thinking this is the perfect combo and then finding out it isn't.

So if anyone got insulted, I apologize .... no insults intended here.

Anyway, can you tell me if my last mobo/CPU choice would be appropriate for OSX86?

The HCL_10.4.7. support page tells me it would work but then and again, it told me the same with my previous choices ....

This is just plain rude! It takes a lot of time and effort to spec out a computer within a certain budget and you are basically pushing that off on someone else who has a life to live. Take the time to learn all you need to learn and then spec out your own computer.

Is this forum not for those who want to learn and for those who want to help others?

In the past, I have had alot of people who offered me to buid it for me but I always declined, I wanted to learn for myself.

But this time, I have to say I am overwhelmed, just too many specs and too many terms I don't understand. It seems things have evolved so much sinse 4 years ago when I built my last machine.

Frst people tell me that whatever is on the HCL list will fit/work, that all dual core CPUs are supported, even the AMDs and then I am told the other way around.

I don't WANT people to buid the machine for me and spend days researching it for me, I thought wonderdog sounded like he knew what he was talking about, that maybe he would know right off the top of his head what would suit me .... obviously not.

Anyway, I can see I have insulted a few people here, in the time I wrote my last reply, 2-3 people filled the whole tread with angry posts. And I suspect more angry posts will be here before I post this one.

I can see I am not wanted here so good bye.

Abraham Lincoln once issues a direct order to a field commander and that field commander refused, he discarded the order, because of this, Libcoln lost some important battles and strategic positions.

Angry, Lincoln wrote a rather fuming letter to his field commander, definately exposing the man for how stupid and inconsiderate he was. But he didn't send it right away, he waited a few days instead.

He explained to a friend that time always seems to add perspective.

A few days later, he started to realize that the field commander might have been concerned for his men who had been stressed out over a long period of fierce fighting, the commander might have known something Lincoln was not aware of, thus refusing the order.

After his death, that angry letter to his field commander what found in Lincoln's desk along with a lot of other unsent angry letters.

Today, I shall follow the wisdom of Mister Abraham Lincoln and put my angry letter back in my desk ......