Toshiba Satellite R830/835 OSX 10.8 10.9

cele_82

168 posts in this topic

Boot Loader: Chameleon 2263

Bios: I've just updated to 4.10 with default settings and everything is still ok (including sleep)

Checkboxes: 

Power adapter

- Put hard disks to sleep when possible (checked)

- Wake for Ethernet (checked)

- Start up automatically after power failure (checked)

Battery

- Slightly dim display... (unchecked)

These are my settings as well. In the meantime I updated to 10.8.4. Apart from my AppleSmartBattery kext not working, nothing changed.

Bios: I've just updated to 4.10 with default settings and everything is still ok (including sleep)

Checkboxes: 

Power adapter

Battery

What kext are you using for the battery?

Checkboxes: 

Power adapter

Battery

These are my settings as well. In the meantime I updated to 10.8.4. Apart from my AppleSmartBattery kext not working, nothing changed.

BTW guys... all the common effort... got my laptop to sleep!!! will update as soon as I have the complete picture...audio indeed not working after sleep..which I'll have a look later...on the web the should already a solution for it.

Time stamp                Domain              	Message                                                                    	Duration  	Delay     
==========                ======              	=======                                                                    	========  	=====     
UUID: 6B773512-F6E6-4AF3-B6F2-DEF6FDE49B72
06/10/2013 14:42:51 BST  Sleep               	Software Sleep Sleep: Using AC                                             	19 secs   
06/10/2013 14:42:51 BST  Assertions          	PID 60(apsd) Released ApplePushServiceTask "com.apple.apsd-waitingformessages-push.apple.com" 00:01:15  id:0xc0000016d Aggregate:0x1040	
06/10/2013 14:42:51 BST  WakeRequests        	Clients requested wake events: [proc=mDNSResponder request=Maintenance inDelta=7200] 	
06/10/2013 14:42:51 BST  WakeRequests        	PM scheduled RTC wake event: MaintenanceImmediate inDelta=7200.00          	
06/10/2013 14:43:10 BST  Wake                	Wake due to PWRB/User: Using AC                                            	
06/10/2013 14:43:22 BST  Assertions          	PID 60(apsd) Created ApplePushServiceTask "com.apple.apsd-waitingformessages-push.apple.com" 00:00:04  id:0xc000001c0 Aggregate:0x1040	
06/10/2013 14:43:27 BST  Assertions          	PID 175(coreaudiod) Created NoIdleSleepAssertion "com.apple.audio.'AppleHDAEngineOutput:1B,0,1,1:0'.noidlesleep" 00:00:04  id:0x1000001cc Aggregate:0x1042	
06/10/2013 14:43:27 BST  Assertions          	PID 175(coreaudiod) Released NoIdleSleepAssertion "com.apple.audio.'AppleHDAEngineOutput:1B,0,1,1:0'.noidlesleep" 00:00:04  id:0x1000001cc Aggregate:0x1040	
06/10/2013 14:43:37 BST  Assertions          	PID 60(apsd) TimedOut ApplePushServiceTask "com.apple.apsd-waitingformessages-push.apple.com" 00:00:20  id:0xc000001c0 Aggregate:0x1040	
06/10/2013 14:43:37 BST  Assertions          	Summary- Aggregate:0x1040 Using AC                                         	

Total Sleep/Wakes since boot:2

Great!!!

I'm not using any additional kext for battery - it works OOTB.

After sleep you can use:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext 
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext 

to re-enable sound.

Great!!!

I'm not using any additional kext for battery - it works OOTB.

After sleep you can use:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext 
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext 

to re-enable sound.

Sound it's working (with headphones) there's something to check on the speaker output.. anyway something we can check later... main issue seems targeted!

While I can't figure out the sleep issue, I'm currently giving a go at doing a fresh 10.9 GM install - I'll share any relevant updates. :)

Did you start already? If not I believe is all to do with the ACPI kexts.

Delete from Extensions(if any)

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext

and use the ones in attachment.(usual kext cache rebuild and -f boot)

also make sure all he boxes in System Preferences/Energy Saver are checked(after applying the new kext and reboot)

------------------------------

There's also to address the issue...after the sleep you get a lot of "bbbbbbbbbbb" if a terminal or textedit is open.. luckily there's should be a fix for this as well.

stuff.zip

• Like 1

Great job cele!

I will give your AppleSNB a try, to see what changes.

In the meantime I have figured out the problem with audio after sleep. 

Here http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1970-fix-for-audio-issue-after-sleep-in-alc269/ EMlyDinEsH posted patched IOAudioFamily.kext with sources.

I tried all of the posted versions but none worked. After waiting and hoping that somebody will solve the problem, I started messing around with the sources in xcode.

It turns out that the problem was that the original device path was wrong for my system. Originally it was:

IORegistryEntry *hdaDeviceEntry = IORegistryEntry::fromPath("IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HDEF");

When I checked in ioreg, the path was different. I corrected the sources for my path and compiled. The resulting kext was working as expected. Below is the corrected line.

IORegistryEntry *hdaDeviceEntry = IORegistryEntry::fromPath("IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0/AppleACPIPCI/HDEF@1B");

I attached my version of the compiled kext. It is for speaker at node 0x14.

Sorry! I could not upload the compiled kext, it keeps saying upload failed. 

IOAudioFamily.kext.zip

• Like 2

Great job cele!

I will give your AppleSNB a try, to see what changes.

In the meantime I have figured out the problem with audio after sleep. 

Here http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1970-fix-for-audio-issue-after-sleep-in-alc269/ EMlyDinEsH posted patched IOAudioFamily.kext with sources.

I tried all of the posted versions but none worked. After waiting and hoping that somebody will solve the problem, I started messing around with the sources in xcode.

It turns out that the problem was that the original device path was wrong for my system. Originally it was:

IORegistryEntry *hdaDeviceEntry = IORegistryEntry::fromPath("IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HDEF");

When I checked in ioreg, the path was different. I corrected the sources for my path and compiled. The resulting kext was working as expected. Below is the corrected line.

IORegistryEntry *hdaDeviceEntry = IORegistryEntry::fromPath("IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0/AppleACPIPCI/HDEF@1B");

attachicon.gifIOAudioFamily.kext.zip

Nice one! What version of IOAudioFamily is this for? any 10.8.x? I see that the kext is double in size compared to 10.8.2... same version anyway 1.8.9

Now we need to have a look at use the latest VoodooPS2Keyboard... so that there aren't problems after sleep and that we could also map correctly the Fn keys.

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

I'm away for a month...so not have really time to do this. But not urgent as well... great job team!

Nice one! What version of IOAudioFamily is this for? any 10.8.x? I see that the kext is double in size compared to 10.8.2... same version anyway 1.8.9

Now we need to have a look at use the latest VoodooPS2Keyboard... so that there aren't problems after sleep and that we could also map correctly the Fn keys.

I compiled it on 10.8.4. It should be working on any 10.8 I suppose. 

On my laptop the only error is the bbbbb.... after sleep. Now everything is working and also corrected the brightness value after sleep to be constant. 

By the way, do you have working LID sleep? I don't use it even with windows, because it annoys me, so I only implemented LID wake in my hack. 

I downloaded the RehabMan-Voodoo-2013-0918 - VooDooPS2.kext. 

Using the release version of the kext from the zip file everything is working fine and no more bbbbb... error after sleep. Thank you ReahabMan and you Cele for the link!

No more errors on my laptop!  :lol:

I will update my kext list as well. 

I downloaded the RehabMan-Voodoo-2013-0918 - VooDooPS2.kext. 

Using the release version of the kext from the zip file everything is working fine and no more bbbbb... error after sleep. Thank you ReahabMan and you Cele for the link!

No more errors on my laptop!  :lol:

I will update my kext list as well. 

Are you using only VoodooPS2 or did you use the entire package? getting rid of AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext as well not only ApplePS2Controller.kext?

Are you using as well the daemon like they suggested?

sudo cp org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons

Also how the fn keys mapping behave?

Any problems so far with trackpad/mouse/keyboard after sleep?

On my laptop the only error is the bbbbb.... after sleep. Now everything is working and also corrected the brightness value after sleep to be constant. 

How did you fix the brightness value? That is something I need as well

attachicon.gifIOAudioFamily.kext.zip

This is working for me as well on 10.8.2

question is this verbose output normal? (seems to happen everytime I change volume)

Oct 12 12:02:10 i5 kernel[0]: startClient - beginincrementActiveUserClients - callincrementActiveUserClients - beginstartAudioEngine - beginEAPDVerbUpdate - callGood HDA Device EntryUpdate EADP ProcessEAPD: Sending Command
Oct 12 12:02:10 i5 kernel[0]: EAPD: Enabled Successfully
Oct 12 12:04:05 i5 kernel[0]: EAPDVerbUpdate - callGood HDA Device EntryUpdate EADP ProcessEAPD: Sending Command
Oct 12 12:04:05 i5 kernel[0]: EAPD: Enabled Successfully
Oct 12 12:10:22 i5 kernel[0]: startClient - beginincrementActiveUserClients - callincrementActiveUserClients - beginstartAudioEngine - beginPower state changeEAPDVerbUpdate - callGood HDA Device EntryUpdate EADP ProcessEAPD: Sending Command
Oct 12 12:10:22 i5 kernel[0]: EAPD: Enabled Successfully
Oct 12 12:16:09 i5 kernel[0]: EAPDVerbUpdate - callGood HDA Device EntryUpdate EADP ProcessEAPD: Sending Command
Oct 12 12:16:09 i5 kernel[0]: EAPD: Enabled Successfully
Oct 12 12:16:28 i5 kernel[0]: startClient - beginincrementActiveUserClients - callincrementActiveUserClients - beginstartAudioEngine - beginEAPDVerbUpdate - callApplePS2Keyboard: PS/2 scancode 0xaf
Oct 12 12:17:00 i5 kernel[0]: EAPDVerbUpdate - callGood HDA Device EntryUpdate EADP ProcessEAPD: Sending Command
Oct 12 12:17:00 i5 kernel[0]: EAPD: Enabled Successfully
Oct 12 12:21:08 i5 kernel[0]: EAPDVerbUpdate - callGood HDA Device EntryUpdate EADP ProcessEAPD: Sending Command
Oct 12 12:21:08 i5 kernel[0]: EAPD: Enabled Successfully
Oct 12 12:22:38 i5 kernel[0]: EAPDVerbUpdate - callGood HDA Device EntryUpdate EADP ProcessEAPD: Sending Command
Oct 12 12:22:38 i5 kernel[0]: EAPD: Enabled Successfully
Oct 12 12:24:54 i5 kernel[0]: startClient - beginincrementActiveUserClients - callincrementActiveUserClients - beginstartAudioEngine - beginPower state changeEAPDVerbUpdate - callGood HDA Device EntryUpdate EADP ProcessEAPD: Sending Command
Oct 12 12:24:54 i5 kernel[0]: EAPD: Enabled Successfully

I've found the page

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292426-brightness-after-sleep-fix-toshiba-portege-r835/?p=1950932

Here's the DSDT for R830 with this fix in it...

Here's the quote from my post #12

Do you see the same behaviour on your laptop glcancy?

(Set an hot corner to sleep the monitor only)

Is this something we can address in the DSDT?

A quick one on the brightness.

The level of brightness (max/min) that I get off boot for me is ideal, also for the battery consumption.. but if the display goes to sleep the levels (max/min) after sleep are different.. especially the min level is basically almost the max level before sleep.

DSDT_r830_glcnacy_BRTXfix.aml.zip

• Like 1

question is this verbose output normal? (seems to happen everytime I change volume)

Oct 12 12:02:10 i5 kernel[0]: startClient - beginincrementActiveUserClients - callincrementActiveUserClients - beginstartAudioEngine - beginEAPDVerbUpdate - callGood HDA Device EntryUpdate EADP ProcessEAPD: Sending Command
Oct 12 12:02:10 i5 kernel[0]: EAPD: Enabled Successfully
Oct 12 12:04:05 i5 kernel[0]: EAPDVerbUpdate - callGood HDA Device EntryUpdate EADP ProcessEAPD: Sending Command ....

I've found the page

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292426-brightness-after-sleep-fix-toshiba-portege-r835/?p=1950932

Sorry, that is my mistake. I forgot to take out all my debug messages I inserted to be able to tell where is the error.

I will take them out and attach the version for deployment. 

Here is the IOAudioFamily.kext without debug options:

IOAudioFamily.kext-DEPLOYMENT.zip

Are you using only VoodooPS2 or did you use the entire package? getting rid of AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext as well not only ApplePS2Controller.kext?

Are you using as well the daemon like they suggested?

sudo cp org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons

Also how the fn keys mapping behave?

Any problems so far with trackpad/mouse/keyboard after sleep?

How did you fix the brightness value? That is something I need as well

I used the VoodooPS2Controller.kext but I did not remove the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext only the ApplePS2Controller.kext. 

Yes, I did install the daemon as they suggested, but it was working without it the same way. The keyboard shortcuts are the same as with ApplePS2 ( Fn + 3/4 for sound, Fn + F12/Break for brightness).  

I don't get any errors  after sleep, no mouse or trackpad errors either. 

As for the brightness: the fix you also implemented maintains my brightness after sleep. Using sleepdisplay I can make just the monitor sleep and at wake the brightness is where it should be. I have a LID wake implemented as I told you. This is what I use:

Device (LID)
        {
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0D"))
            Method (_LID, 0, NotSerialized)
            {
                Return (LIDS)
            }

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
            {
                0x1D, 
                0x04
            })
            Method (_PSW, 1, NotSerialized)
            {
                If (Arg0)
                {
                    //_WAK (Arg0)
                    //ez a sleep
                    //Notify (SLPB, 0x80)
                }
                Else
                {
                    _WAK (Arg0)
                    //ez a wake
                }

Store (Arg0, EWLD)
            }
        }

This way the laptop will wake up if the LID is opened but will not sleep if it is closed (I like it this way).

There is maybe a small increase in maximum brightness after sleep, but if you modify the brightness before sleep or after sleep, it will  go back to the correct value.

If I use the minimum brightness (that is no backlight in my case) before sleep or a quarter more it will keep it after sleep.   

• Like 1

Sorry, that is my mistake. I forgot to take out all my debug messages I inserted to be able to tell where is the error.

I will take them out and attach the version for deployment. 

Here is the IOAudioFamily.kext without debug options:

attachicon.gifIOAudioFamily.kext-DEPLOYMENT.zip

I used the VoodooPS2Controller.kext but I did not remove the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext only the ApplePS2Controller.kext. 

Yes, I did install the daemon as they suggested, but it was working without it the same way. The keyboard shortcuts are the same as with ApplePS2 ( Fn + 3/4 for sound, Fn + F12/Break for brightness).  

I don't get any errors  after sleep, no mouse or trackpad errors either. 

As for the brightness: the fix you also implemented maintains my brightness after sleep. Using sleepdisplay I can make just the monitor sleep and at wake the brightness is where it should be. I have a LID wake implemented as I told you. This is what I use:

Device (LID)
        {
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0D"))
            Method (_LID, 0, NotSerialized)
            {
                Return (LIDS)
            }

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
            {
                0x1D, 
                0x04
            })
            Method (_PSW, 1, NotSerialized)
            {
                If (Arg0)
                {
                    //_WAK (Arg0)
                    //ez a sleep
                    //Notify (SLPB, 0x80)
                }
                Else
                {
                    _WAK (Arg0)
                    //ez a wake
                }

Store (Arg0, EWLD)
            }
        }

This way the laptop will wake up if the LID is opened but will not sleep if it is closed (I like it this way).

There is maybe a small increase in maximum brightness after sleep, but if you modify the brightness before sleep or after sleep, it will  go back to the correct value.

If I use the minimum brightness (that is no backlight in my case) before sleep or a quarter more it will keep it after sleep.   

thanks for the kext..

What i'm saying about the Brightness is that if you sleep the monitor only(or full sleep of the system) after the wake-up the brightness is yes at the same level at a software level but visually it's higher.. there's something somewhere that makes this.. and I wonder if it is something we can fix in the DSDT.

Using the laptop in low light condition is a very sensible setting...

thanks for the kext..

What i'm saying about the Brightness is that if you sleep the monitor only(or full sleep of the system) after the wake-up the brightness is yes at the same level at a software level but visually it's higher.. there's something somewhere that makes this.. and I wonder if it is something we can fix in the DSDT.

Using the laptop in low light condition is a very sensible setting...

I don't see a difference. I made complete darkness in the room, took two pictures, one before and one after sleep on minimum brightness and their histograms are completely the same. I don't have a lux meter, maybe I will check it on Monday if I can find one in the labs.

I don't see a difference. I made complete darkness in the room, took two pictures, one before and one after sleep on minimum brightness and their histograms are completely the same. I don't have a lux meter, maybe I will check it on Monday if I can find one in the labs.

Strange.. try with a grey background and set the brightness to medium.. you don't need a camera, it is visible with normal eyes.

What settings do you have under Battery on the BIOS? (you can set a default brightness for the monitor there)

I've added a new kext pack.

Newer DSDT(thanks glcnacy/macandrea)

Both SSDT for the CPUs we have.

Newer E1000

Kext for audio after sleep (thanks glcnacy)

Newer E1000 driver

VoodooPS2 instead of ApplePS2Controller.

• Like 1

Strange.. try with a grey background and set the brightness to medium.. you don't need a camera, it is visible with normal eyes.

What settings do you have under Battery on the BIOS? (you can set a default brightness for the monitor there)

I have the brightness set to full under the bios.

You are right, it does increase after sleep. I downloaded a luxmeter for my phone and while it is not precise, it gives reproducible figures.

But at minimum my brightness will increase from 15 to 20 lux, barely visible. At maximum the increase can be huge (from 40 to 95 if I don't use sleepdisplay app, or to 55 with it).

I will take a look, maybe there is some setting for this too. 

I found this for the brightness issue:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-laptop-support/93285-fix-laptop-brightness-issue-max-brightness-after-sleep.html

maybe it will help

PS: in my case it will increase the max brightness at boot and therefore after sleep I will get the same value.  

Thanks I'll have a look when I have time..hopefully I can set to use the lower brightness(pre-sleep) which is the one I like the most if working at night..

=============

mtek, I had a Western Digital USB3 to test with today..seems to work fine in my case..

#USB3 port
sudo dd if=/dev/disk1 of=/dev/null bs=100m count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
104857600 bytes transferred in 5.103873 secs (20544712 bytes/sec)

#USB2 port
sudo dd if=/dev/disk1 of=/dev/null bs=100m count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
104857600 bytes transferred in 13.564603 secs (7730237 bytes/sec)

• 2 weeks later...

Zprood found an issue with the brightness in 10.9 (still black screen after sleep). He figured out that he needs to set in WAK

\_SB.PCI0.GFX0.DD02._DSS (0xC0000001) //wake device, originally it was 0x04C4B401 but for 10.9 not working

If anybody has similar issues he can try this fix.

I've added a new kext pack.

Newer DSDT(thanks glcnacy/macandrea)

Both SSDT for the CPUs we have.

Newer E1000

Kext for audio after sleep (thanks glcnacy)

Newer E1000 driver

VoodooPS2 instead of ApplePS2Controller.

Hi cele_82 & guys, thanks for all the hard-work!

I've been entertaining myself with a new/old hackbook (Portegé R500) that runs almost flawlessly oob.

@cele_82 - What ML are you running right now? Do you believe it's safe to upgrade to 10.8.5 combo? What kexts should I reinstall immediately after? 

Thanks! :)

@cele_82 - What ML are you running right now? Do you believe it's safe to upgrade to 10.8.5 combo? What kexts should I reinstall immediately after? 

Hi, I'm still running 10.8.2 yeah I know I'm a bit lazy but really I see people in my job still using 10.5 sometimes so really I can't be bothered to upgrade.. system works great with 10.8.2 and I'm pretty sure is going to be supported for a while...

Didn't try 10.8.5 combo I'm sure I could do it but I'm happy like this for now... with the latest re-pack of kexts I'm pretty sure you should be able to sleep your "Mac" too...

** UPDATE **

I've been trying like mad to install the new official final release of Mavericks 10.9 on my R830, but without success... :(

The setup and first boot run just fine, it's when you start messing with the kexts that it goes wrong, namely:

- The patched AppleHDA.kext doesn't seem to work on 10.9 - no audio detected...

- When I install the wifi kext enabler (IO80211Family.kext) then I get stuck on normal boot with a very strange error (see image attached). Booting in safe-mode still works fine though...

Any ideas guys? macandrea & glnacy

post-215205-0-97018900-1382609349_thumb.jpg