Still waiting for root device - but it's not even trying...

NTAuthority

2 posts in this topic

I am trying to install 10.8.2 to this Dell Studio 1735 laptop (and yes, it has an X3100 GPU, but that's a later worry), but am getting stuck with the infamous root device loop, while booting from an install partition on the internal HDD.

Now, I am not some newbie, and therefore I have the SATA mode set to AHCI, and the ICH8M (2829?) PCI ID shown using lspci is actually in Apple's stock .plist files.

One thing I noticed, both when reading other people's logs/screenshots and the XNU source is that other people generally have 2 lines appearing above the 'root device' loop, namely 'Rooting via []' and 'From [], Waiting on <dict[]', which I do not see at all.

It also seems to take a while between the 'ACPI system state' message and the following PCI configuration messages, and USB/FireWire drivers also seem to give a 'could not get device memory' message.

I hope someone can help me with my issue, as usually my issues are way too obscure for anyone to be able to help me with them. :)

• 5 years later...

I'm experiencing much the same.

Waiting on root device, and the USB, and Firewire messages.

Seems as tho it resets the bus, and then cant't find the USB drive, or any of the USB/Firewire busses. :(

--Chris