is there another way for me to dual boot mac osx?

shadyblue9o9

8 posts in this topic

Ok, i dont want to partition my hard drive so i was wondering if i can install Mac OS X 10.8.2 on an SD card and boot and run it from there and it be fully functional?

Also, if i were to install it on the SD card, will it replace my bootmgr? that is my sole concern... i dont want to delete my boot manager or erase my whole hard drive on accident

Ok, i dont want to partition my hard drive so i was wondering if i can install Mac OS X 10.8.2 on an SD card and boot and run it from there and it be fully functional?

Also, if i were to install it on the SD card, will it replace my bootmgr? that is my sole concern... i dont want to delete my boot manager or erase my whole hard drive on accident

if your bootmgr in your SD card , OS X needs an HFS+ partition. and I don't think your SD card is HFS+ formatted.

It'll remove the bootmgr not only replace it.

unless you mean the bootmgr file is already in your Hard drive parition.. it won't be touched.

and it must be an SDHC card for better performance I guess (32GB)...

you can even use your SD card as a GUID Partition Table and when you're done installing OS X, boot with your USB ML installer or DVD or whatever you're using only for the first time and then Install chameleon on SD partition. (before Installing Chameleon make sure you customize the installation and Tick boot0 in Bootloader's section instead of boot0hfs.

hope this helps!

so i can use the tutorials to insall it? but instead of creating a new partition on my hard drive, i format the SDHC 32Gb card to mac OS X Journaled? and then install Chameleon boot loader onto the SDHC card? Basically my question about my bootmgr is, If i install Mac OS X onto the SDHC card using my windows computer, will it replace the bootmgr on my hard drive? and if so, will i be able to boot up using my Hp system repair disc (its not a windows installation CD, just a system repair disc i created when i first got my laptop) and replace the bootmgr? thanks!

the Specs of my laptop are

3rd generation Intel Core I7 3610QM quad core 2.3Ghz with turbo boost 2.0 up to 3.3Ghz

Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 1gb graphics card

8GB of Ram

Multi-touch trackpad

It basically has the same internals as a macbook pro, so because they are virtually the same, would that mean i would need less drivers? im assuming only for Audio, and Wfi Driver... And what tutorial could i use to do this? im at college and i really want to Dual Boot Mac OS X and Windows 7... but i dont want to end up messing up my computer and end up losing all of my homework :/

Just get a USB drive of some kind. Even if you do successfully install and run OSX on an SD card, they are not made to be read/written to at the rate/frequency needed for an operating system. Not to mention they're files get corrupted like crazy and they are slow and most readers are not natively supported in osx (which would be an obvious problem too). I could list a few more.