Installation Fails Due to Kextcache Error 71

mnfesq

5 posts in this topic

When I try to install ML, I get this error in the installation process. I have been able to work around it but would like to try to fix it. Here's what my install log says:

Aug 20 08:03:31 localhost OSInstaller[322]: PackageKit: kextcache -update-volume /Volumes/HDD-ML -Installer

Aug 20 08:03:34 localhost OSInstaller[322]: kextcache: IOPCIFamily.kext is not authentic; omitting.

Aug 20 08:03:35 localhost OSInstaller[322]: kextcache: AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext is not authentic; omitting.

Aug 20 08:03:35 localhost OSInstaller[322]: kextcache: AppleACPIEC.kext is not authentic; omitting.

Aug 20 08:03:35 localhost OSInstaller[322]: kextcache: AppleACPIButtons.kext is not authentic; omitting.

Aug 20 08:03:35 localhost OSInstaller[322]: kextcache: AppleACPIPlatform.kext is not authentic; omitting.

Aug 20 08:03:36 localhost OSInstaller[322]: kextcache: /Volumes/HDD-ML/System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext is not authentic; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Aug 20 08:03:36 localhost OSInstaller[322]: kextcache: Can't use IOPCIFamily.kext - not linked.

Aug 20 08:03:36 localhost OSInstaller[322]: kextcache: Prelink failed for com.promise.driver.stex; aborting prelink.

Aug 20 08:03:36 localhost OSInstaller[322]: kextcache: Failed to generate prelinked kernel.

Aug 20 08:03:36 localhost OSInstaller[322]: kextcache: Child process /usr/sbin/kextcache[377] exited with status 71.

Aug 20 08:03:36 localhost OSInstaller[322]: kextcache: Error 107 rebuilding /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache.

Aug 20 08:03:36 localhost OSInstaller[322]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=121 "An error occurred while updating system extension information." UserInfo=0x7f99cd1f6770 {NSUnderlyingError=0x7f99cd170e50 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (kextcache error 71.)", NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while updating system extension information., arguments=(

"-update-volume",

"/Volumes/HDD-ML",

"-Installer"

)} {

NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while updating system extension information.";

NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=kextcache Code=71 \"The operation couldn\U2019t be completed. (kextcache error 71.)\"";

arguments = (

"-update-volume",

"/Volumes/HDD-ML",

"-Installer"

);

}

Now, all of the kexts which are identified as "not authentic" are roll-back kexts I need to use to get the USB installer to boot. I have repaired permission on the USB installer using Kext Utility and created an Extensions.mkext file which is placed in

/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/

and, in fact, needed the mkext file in order to boot. If I replace those "not authentic" kexts with the ones from 10.8, the USB installer will not boot. I have tried putting the 10.8 kexts in S/L/E and put the roll-back kexts in Extra but that did not work either - the USB installer would not boot up. Some here had suggested using Disk Utility to repair permissions for the USB installer but that is not an option in Disk Utility. I'm stuck.

• 1 month later...

To be able to repair permissions using Diskutility, you have to enable file ownership on the volume first using the "get info" pane and unchecking "ignore ownership on this volume". Does the cache still build properly after install, or any other issues with the completed installation?

Hi eep357,

it's nice that after so many years in the hackintosh scene there's always something to learn. Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately I can't find the check box you're referring to (please refer to the attached image).

My last post wasn't 100% precise, though. My system is up and running and I experience problems only when I decide to install something via .pkg's.

I noticed that kextcache complains about a non-authenticated kext:

Prelink failed for org.hwsensors.driver.SuperIOSensors; aborting prelink.

After removing SuperIOSensors.kext from /S/L/E I can finally execute:

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel -all-loaded

I don't know if this is enough to say that the problem is solved.

thanks,

cili0.

Schermata 2012-09-24 alle 11.10.42.png

Option won't show on booted primary HD, which should already allow permission repair in Disk Utility. But when wanting to repair permissions on a second disk that is either a installer, or another OSX installation, option may be greyed out in Disk Utility. When ignore ownership is checked, you become the owner of the volume, uncheck it and it goes back to system:wheel. Here is my old Lion RAID-0 that I haven't booted into in very long time, but still access many apps and files from.

Mikan Info.jpg