Blinking cursor at boot

matulike

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've had 10.4.1 installed from the VMware image, now got the 10.4.6 DVD patched and have installed over the 10.4.1 partition (formatting first with Journaled) and it all installed successfully. I'm sure I chose the right add-ons - for SSE2, etc.

If I had chosen something wrong on there - for instance the Radeon Mobility driver - would that cause this problem?! I have a Dell D610 Latitude laptop, Centrino, 1GB RAM, Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family Display adapter, Philips CDD5263 CDRW/DVD drive. The processor is SSE2 - according to cpu-z.

I guess I'll reinstall selecting none of the wrong drivers!

I had to plug in a VGA cable to get it to install in the first place too - if that's got anything to do with it?!

Thanks.

Edit: By the way, I use Acronis boot loader and have Win XP, and SuSe 10.1 also on this laptop. they still work fine, and OSX did work fine from Acronis with 10.4.1.....

Another thought....it's on the second partition on the disk. WinXP on the first, OSX 2nd, SuSe 3rd, SWAP 4th and FAT32 data partition last. Does it HAVE to be on the first parttiion? It shouldnt matter as long as I set it active and use Acronis tho should it...;

you may need to do the paper clip mod to get your native screen to show anything. i will find a link to it here in a sec.

in the mean time try attaching a external monitor an see if it boots into osx and you get the gui. if you do all you need its the paperclip mod.

if not try setting your osx partion to active then try again with the external monitor attached.

link to paperclip mod -> http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?ac...ost&id=1522

Hi,

Well, I had to connect the external monitor to install it, so it was needed for that. I have tried booting it now with and without the monitor connected, ensuring that the drive is Pri,Active. And nothing works. I just get the blinking cursor at the top left :sorcerer:(

This is so annoying....it installed perfectly! And 10.4.1 ran perfectly! WHY OH WHY!!!?

What bootloader are you using - Acronis, chain0, Darwin?

Try booting the install DVD, hit F8 and then select the OSX partition. If it boots up fine instead of getting the blinking underscore, then it says that your bootloader has a problem.

Right i had exact the same problem and heres how i solved it.

There seems to be a problem with some versions of the apple disk utility, heres a remedy that works for me.

First of all boot using a floppy into old msdos, a windows 98 startup disk will do. Use the old FDISK utility.

Erase all partitions and create a new FAT32 partition that covers the eintire disk.

Format it in fat32.

Now after this, reboot your osx disk and delete the fat32 partition you just created, and create a new mac os x journalised one. Hopefully if done correctly, it will now say B0 Error instead of having that blinking cursor.

Now to remedy the B0 error all you need to do is set it active.

It seems to work by doing this, i know its a pain, but it works everytime for me.

Sorry i just realised you have multiple partitions, well delete the 2nd mac os x partition and format just the partition you want to use for osx in fat32 first.

It seems when formatting in fat32 it repairs the mess that certain versions of disk utility leaves, and formatting straight after a fat32 using disk utility seems to work.

Sorry i know my info isnt clear i hope you understand what im trying to say lol ;)

Welll, booting from the DVD and pressing F8 - it only sees the install disk. So it's not seeing the Mac parttion at all. i'll try the FAT32 format....

OK, I went to cfdisk, made it a FAT32 partition, went into windows and fully formatted it. Now when I boot the Mac DVD it wont erase the partition and create Mac OS Extended Journaled file system. Says Volume Erase Failed with error:

Could not read the partition map.

:o(

Should I go back into fdisk and make it AF again?