How to install Mini-pci TrueMobile card?

Xerxes

6 posts in this topic

There should be a few panels on the bottom of the laptop. Open them up and take a peek.

well, the panels that come off are for the hard drive and the ram.. and I unscrewed all of the screws and I still can't get the whole bottom panel off.

The model on the vaio is: VGN-FE660G

The whole bottom needs to come off:

Remove battery.

Remove two large flat screws exposed once battery has been removed.

Remove plastic bezel above keyboard, the part where your power switch is. Start by lifting up near switch and working your way across the front edge from right to left.

Remove plastic ventalation cover beside battery port, snaps on

Remove HDD & Memory Covers.

Remove all screwson bottom, including HDD screws - Remove HDD by pulling black plastic tab towards outside edge, (carefull on the reinstall, the IDE 40 pin interface is delicate)

Lift off bottom cover from the battery side first.

The slide swtich for wireless on/off on the front edge of laptop will now have nothing from keeping it from falling out, keep a close eye on it and it's correct placement. If it has already fallen out: the motherboard has a microswitch that the black plastic slide swtich must mate with when installed.

Once bottom is off you home free:

ID the wireless card, carfully pull off both antenna wires noting each wires correct plug, (pull straight up on connector). Then spread the spring retainer clips on each side off card at the same time, the card will lift up to apprx 30 degree angle, slide card out of mini-pci slot.

Reverse to complete.

Enjoy!

The whole bottom needs to come off:

Remove battery.

Remove two large flat screws exposed once battery has been removed.

Remove plastic bezel above keyboard, the part where your power switch is. Start by lifting up near switch and working your way across the front edge from right to left.

Remove plastic ventalation cover beside battery port, snaps on

Remove HDD & Memory Covers.

Remove all screwson bottom, including HDD screws - Remove HDD by pulling black plastic tab towards outside edge, (carefull on the reinstall, the IDE 40 pin interface is delicate)

Lift off bottom cover from the battery side first.

The slide swtich for wireless on/off on the front edge of laptop will now have nothing from keeping it from falling out, keep a close eye on it and it's correct placement. If it has already fallen out: the motherboard has a microswitch that the black plastic slide swtich must mate with when installed.

Once bottom is off you home free:

ID the wireless card, carfully pull off both antenna wires noting each wires correct plug, (pull straight up on connector). Then spread the spring retainer clips on each side off card at the same time, the card will lift up to apprx 30 degree angle, slide card out of mini-pci slot.

Reverse to complete.

Enjoy!

Thank you very much for the information. I have yet to take it apart again, but I will try later. Much appreciated.

Yikes! I guess that Sony ins't interested in having the average person change out thier own MiniPCI card...

On my Dell, it's located unter the keyboard. A small panel in the top bezel and two screws to removed the keyboard. That's it.