After installing Xubuntu, now Windows & Mac broken.

17 posts in this topic

I had a multiboot with Windows 7 and Mac ML, all was fine. However I wanted to Install Xubuntu and now:

Grub boots, and Xubuntu works fine. it detected Windows and Mac OS successfully, I created two partitions for Xubuntu + Swap.

After selecting Mac from Grub, now it reboots instantly before going to the Apple logo.

Windows 7 now stuck at a black screen with a blinking cursor. No boot at all.

Thanks for any help

You need to install grub in to linux partition,not in HDD directory

And bootloader is Chameleon for triple boot :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

Thanks. OSX was fine after all, as I can boot it succesfully using the USB installer and selecting Mac partition, I tried to reinstall the Chameleon bootloader but Grub still pops-up.

Windows 7, on the other hand, seems it's badly broken. I cannot get it to boot at all from Chameleon (the MAC USB installer) nor Grub. In both cases, I get the black screen with blinking cursor at top left. I cannot even got into the repair menu. But I can access into the Windows files from Linux or OSX.

How can I install Grub into the Linux partition and remove it from the HDD directory? the Xubuntu installer didn't gave me that option (or I didn't noticed it) :(

are you triple booting all on one disk? It's doable, but life is MUCH easier when you use separate drives. In OSX use fdisk to correct the active partition, it should be your chameleon one. In windows, will probably need to run a boot repair using disk if you can't edit it's boot config. Read this for more info on grub and windows, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot then rule them all with Chameleon

Xubuntu have option for bootloader,but you no see maybe,after add your name and passwort ,pop-up one window and in down right side have option where to install grub

• Like 1

Thanks, yeah I am using a single drive (unfortunately I do not have another one currently).

According to Mac, this is my HDD map., the Untitled is Windows 7, and the disk0sX are the main Linux part and the swap part. It does detect the main Linux part as MSDOS (?) but correctly the swap part .

How do I do the fdisk? because

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

then p

gives me this:

#: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [	 start -	   size]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1: EE    0   0   1 - 1023 254  63 [		 1 -  625134190] <Unknown ID>
2: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [		 0 -		  0] unused	 
3: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [		 0 -		  0] unused	 
4: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [		 0 -		  0] unused   

And I don't have a clue what to select as active

Thanks for any help.

HUSABER: I will run the Xubuntu installer again and post if I find it or not :)

post-767483-0-84975000-1344676042_thumb.png

Well there's only 1 there that could be marked active. Typically see MBR used in 1 drive multiboot with Win and not GUID, which also leads to need for Primary and Extended, then Logical partitions. I don't want to be responsible for you loosing all your valueless data, so would only recommend using Win install DVD to do boot repair, and if successful boot from your thumbdrive to OSX to reinstall chameleon. As mentioned on Linux, there should be options where to install grub at same time you choose scratch, /, home, etc. Beyond that I'd have to bow out to some one who uses Windows more than twice a year at home.

• Like 1

Thanks. Now, suddenly, Linux and Grub stopped booting too. It gets stuck on "Loading Operating System". I can still boot OSX via the USB. Maybe it will be easier to simply wipe everything and start again by Installing OSX Windows and Xubuntu in that order and installing GRUB into the Linux partition and reinstalling Chameleon, is this OK or I will break things again?

BTW All my data is already backed up so I won't lose much except time with this!

Thanks. Noted, though maybe I won't need to wipe anything *crosses fingers*

Reinstalled Xubuntu, and put Grub into the Linux partition (noticed the option).

Reinstalled Chameleon, and now it boots straight up without the USB, fine...

It detects Xubuntu, OSX and Windows, the first two boot fine, Windows still doesn't...

I will make Windows USB repair (I don't have CD/DVD drives) and see...

The same Windows version,and repair startup,but for me need to reinstall :wink2: Grub is brok too much...

• Like 1

Maybe you're right... Windows recover says it's not compatible despite being the same version and 64-bit.

Tried with Syslinux to repair MBR of Windows 7, now I don't get the black screen with blinking cursor but a gorgeous "DISK BOOT FAILURE..." and now Windows 7 is called "Unknown GPT" on Chameleon...

Linux and OSX still boot fine.

Now realy need to reinstall Windows, but get ready for boot after,this instalacion kill Chameleon again,need to ready one bootable USB stik to boot again Mac and install Chameleon

Grub us very big dog.. :hammer:

• Like 1

Trying to reinstall Windows 7 on its partition. I get this.

Trying to repair it: says it isn't compatible...

So the only fix would be to wipe the ENTIRE HDD and do all this again or can this be fixed?

Many thanks.

NVM, I wiped everything and now the HDD is entirely blank. I've run out of patience with this ****

So in which order should I install the three OSes again to get this fine and running? Windows -->OSX -->Linux?

Thanks

post-767483-0-17315300-1344781312_thumb.jpg

If you understand Linux ,create Windows partition formated Hybrid-FAT32,may be help you this info