My mini Guide for install 10.7.4 on Lenovo Thinkpad T61 7661-CTO

HUSABER

94 posts in this topic

Sebster,

OK -- latest problem - following your steps:

1. Download and Install this to your flash drive using a Macintosh Computer OSInstall(MBR)+OSInstall.mpkg(10.7.4).zip

I downloaded and opened this on the same MAC that I used to build the flashdrive. I ran the .mpkg file ... and it ran on this machine. I pointed the INSTALL TO the flash drive...and it have me an error INSTALL FAILED - THE INSTALLER COULD NOT LOCATE THE DATA IT NEEDED TO INSTALL THE SOFTWARE. I clicked CLOSE and the program exits.

2. Go to System/Library/CoreServices and delete the file PlatformSupport.plist

Never made it this far....but I take it that you mean delete this file from the flashdrive.

Thanks,

*BH*

I brought one of the MAC's home with me from work to try and figure out this error I am getting trying to run the app to bypass the OSX CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON THIS SYSTEM error.

Thanks,

*BH*

Bearhntr28, sorry, my bad, hahahaha, I encountered that same problem too. I totally forgot. You aren't supposed to install that package onto the flashdrive, but this is what you are supposed to do with the files in the zip you downloaded earlier.

1. Replace /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg with the OSInstall.mpkg included in the zip earlier.

2. Replace /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall with the OSInstall from the zip.

Now when you plug the flashdrive into your thinkpad it should install without a problem.

The link for the zip is OSInstall(MBR)+OSInstall.mpkg(10.7.4).zip

It is the same one you downloaded earlier, this is only if you need the link again.

-sebster101

• Like 1

First things first..... Sebster you are the BOMB! Thank you for touhing it out with me...but no less of a thank you to Husaber for the files and the instructions....I have a partially working T61 Hackintosh.

OK....here is where I am stuck now here:

- When you are on Lion 10.7.4 you have to copy again Extra folder to HDD Lion and run again Chameleon package(this time need to install to Lion HDD directory)

-After finish this 2 step run terminal and start this command:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext -z /System/Library/Extensions/

- Now you are ready to restart the OSX without USB Pen, USB Keyboard and USB Mouse

I have made it to the steps above...and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I got the software to install...and it will boot only with the flashdrive in the machine...and I put my other USB drive in where I had placed the downloads from the bottom of message 1...and re-ran the CHAMELEON TOOL and told it to install the HDD....but it will still not boot from the HDD.

Also the HDD is not showing anywhere but in the DISK UTILITY, is not in the FINDER.

The other thing is that the internal WIRED network adapter is not working. I have gotten the sound to work, but nothing else...yet.

I have not gotten the APPLE WIRELESS card yet - so I will go through the process again. I am simply trying to get the process down pat. :-)

Any ideas?

*BH*

• Like 1

Thanks Bearhntr28, actually, I am working on a Hackintosh guide to installing 10.7.5 on Thinkpad T61, will post it in the near future. I've talked to Husaber about it. Anyway, lets get started with what I can help you with first.

If you want the Wired LAN/ethernet to work, here is what you must do.

1. Install the Ethernet Kext with KextWizard in the attached archive. To install kext using KextWizard, launch KextWizard, Click Installation at the top, drag the kext to the box in KextWizard, select "Install to System/Library/Extensions" and click Install Kexts.

2. Before you reboot your computer, run this special command in terminal sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Then enter your password, wait for it to finish, and reboot.

About the bootloader not working and hard drive not showing up, If you can, after you reboot, connect an ethernet jack to your thinkpad, download, install, and create a Skype, and add me (Sebster.101) I'm afraid this might be the only way, this way you can install Teamviewer and I can fix your Thinkpad from there, as I will have to look around and see what the problem is. Do you think you could get Skype on your Thinkpad and add me? I could really help you then. In the meantime, install the ethernet kext, run command in terminal, reboot, and tell me what you come up with. Try to get Skype on your Thinkpad also if you get ethernet working after that. Thanks.

P.S. Don't worry, I'm sure Skype will be worth it.

P.P.S. If you want the Apple Wireless card to work, you will need to patch the BIOS, which requires Windows. I hope you are dualbooting Mac with WIndows, because they don't have the Thinkpad BIOS pathing software for Mac. Anyway, we will talk about that after we get this kext installed, I'll explain everything on Skype to you, hopefully, if you can get it on your thinkpad.

ethernet+kextwizard.zip

Sebster,

I am going to do all of it again. Thank you for the KEXT and the KEXTWIZARD. I got the APPLE Wireless card, but the morons sent me the two-connector one...not the three---have to send it back.

I ultimately want a WIN7 - OSX dual boot machine...going to buy a 120GB or 160GB SSD this weekend...and put in my BlueTooth module....then I can have the best of the best dual boot W7/Hackintosh. ;-)

I need to be 100% on the proper procedure for the dual boot....I know I read in the previos posts that the HDD has to be formatted MBR, I take it using the MAC DISK UTIL, and only 2 partitions? or do you need to have 3 or 4, as Windows 7 creates its own hidden partition. And I know it Windows needs to be installed first.

*BH*

p.s. Would love to test out your guide. As I said earlier, ultimately I would like to have Snow Leopard, not Lion. For what I do, at my job / Lion does not work well when doing SCAN TO FOLDER or even transferring files from a Windows machine to the MAC. I am an educator at my job, and rather than have to move the MACs for training...would rather have the dual boot machine.

Bearhntr28,

That sounds like a good idea. By the time the SSD and Wireless Card come, I should have my guide up and If its easier to read/comprehend that one then you can use that to dualboot and get OS X on your Thinkpad. I will be explaining everything step-by-step and everything you can do to troubleshoot something if it does not work, etc. I think it might be more suitible for you, I will be posting the link once I finish it. I know you will like it, its very in-depth and I put continuous hours and hours of effort and time into it for others to enjoy :) In the meantime, i recommend getting ahold of a copy of Lion 10.7.5 or download a torrent of the InstallESD for 10.7.5. That way, you can use that so that you have no problems if you decide to try out or look at my guide.

p.s. it takes quite some effort to get a snow leopard hackintosh working, as snow leopard is very incompatible with most hackintosh's and you would have to spend countless days trying to find proper kexts and stuff for it to work properly. Maybe you could try Lion and if its just not good enough, you could always reinstall OS X and you won't lose your Windows 7 data or partition.

p.p.s. About the procedure for dualboot, use Disk Utility from the OS X Installation flashdrive and make 2 partitions on your hard drive, both on the GUID partitioning scheme. Make one Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and the second MS-DOS for the second partition. Once you get into the Windows 7 setup, format the MS-DOS partition to NTFS and by default, Windows 7 will create its own System Reserved 100mb hidden partition, but just ignore that, your perfectly fine. And you are correct, Windows must be installed in order to get Chameleon Bootloader. :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

sebster,

I must apologize. I have been away so long. Lots of things all happened at once. Changes at wor, end of fiscal year at work, busy things around the house (with the onset of Spring), and then I forgot to purchase the new WiFi Apple card.

The T61 is all ready to go ecept for the WiFi Card. I has Windows 7 installed (I even upgraded the HDD to a SDD - Ghosted the HDD to the SDD). All is great.

Loking forward to getting back to this project within the next couple weeks. Hopefully you will still be around. Maybe your guide will be out, too.

Much Thanks,

*BH*

Husaber/Sebster,

Wireless Atheros AR5B91-Recommeneded for Upgrade with patched BIOS without whitelist!

I have found the following differences:

Apple Atheros AR5008 AR5418 AR5BXB72 603-9432-A

Brand: Atheros

Model: AR5BXB72 / AR5008

P/N: 603-9432-A / 607-0368-A / A1181

BIOS: Apple Ver (Use only in Apple Laptop)

Wireless Type: 802.11n (XSPAN 300MB)

Connectors: 3

==================================

Apple MacBook Pro A1150 Wifi Wireless Card 603-8214-A

Brand: Atheros

Model: AR5424a / AR5006EXS / AR5BXB6

P/N: 603-8214-A / A1150 / A1181

BIOS: Apple Ver (Fit all laptop brands: DELL, IBM, HP - upgraded BIOS)

Wireless Type: 802.11 Super A/G (108MB)

Connectors: 2

----------------------------------------------

My question is, will the 802.11n card (even though it says APPLE ONLY) work in the T-61. I would prefer to make use of the Apple Atheros AR5008 AR5418 AR5BXB72 603-9432-A 3-connectors (the one in Blue) in the T61 to get full wireless speed.

Can anyone give advice before I purchase one? Perhaps I should buy both and try them both - but really hate taking the laptop apart more than I have to to try various cards.

Much thanks,

*BH*

Bearhntr28,

The Apple MacBook Pro Card will not work on the Thinkpad T61, as it only has 2 connectors, as the Thinkpad T61 has 3 connecters. The other Apple Atheros card I am not sure about. I highly recommend the MacBook A1181 AR5BXB72 wireless Apple card, as it is 100% compatible with Thinkpad T61 and works out of the box with a patched BIOS for your Thinkpad. These cards are pretty cheap and below is a link to an example of one you could purchase on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/...=item416dfe04a8

If you do not wish to buy the card on ebay, the right card you should buy is called the Apple MacBook A1181 AR5BXB72 Wireless Card. I assure you it works as I have tried it myself along with CoBrA2168, also on InsanelyMac forums. I am not sure if Husaber is using this exact card, but I assure you it works.

-sebster101

P.S.- My guide should be posted in 1-2 weeks time

Sebster,

OKAY. I just bought a AR5BXB72 from eBay. Should be here mid-week next week.

How goes your OSX LION Guide? I was also looking at CoBrA's guide. Nicely written. Only thing missing is pictures. ;-)

*BH*

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have a thinkpad serie 7659-a92, but following all the steps, to start usb, when it should load the graphical interface for the Disk Manager, the screen stays black. When connecting to an external monitor, fail to see that the interface starts correctly, because I see the bottom of Mac OS, but I can not access its functions, because they are on thinkpad screen. Any suggestions on this matter?.

Sorry for the translation, I'm using the google translator

Hello Lukazz,

Could you take a few pictures and upload them showing me the problem? It would help as I am not familiar with this certain problem. Does it get past the Apple Logo + spinner? or when you boot from the USB it stays at a black screen? Or have you gotten past the installer and are having problems starting OS X itself, because i am a little confused as you said that you see the bottom of Mac OS, meaning you have installed the OS. If you upload a picture of the problem it would really help me troubleshoot it if possible. Thanks

-sebster101

• 4 weeks later...

Hi HUSABER!

First, I must say thankyou very much. Follow your guide, I installed 10.7.4 successfully on my T61. But I don't understand from "SUMMARY OF MY STUFF". You talk about kexts in S/L/E but they are stock 10.7.4 kext or your patched kexts, because in your guide I can't see any step that saying change kexts or something like that, just copying. If those are you patched kexts, so where I can download them.

Thanks!

Hi HUSABER!

First, I must say thankyou very much. Follow your guide, I installed 10.7.4 successfully on my T61. But I don't understand from "SUMMARY OF MY STUFF". You talk about kexts in S/L/E but they are stock 10.7.4 kext or your patched kexts, because in your guide I can't see any step that saying change kexts or something like that, just copying. If those are you patched kexts, so where I can download them.

Thanks!

My Stuff :hysterical:

Install on S/L/E all kext's and enjoy :wink_anim:

Archive.zip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I'm trying. Have you got display freeze? Could you give me an archive of your Extra & addition kexts on S/L/E?

If your display freeze..Error is from wrong smbios.plist

If your display freeze..Error is from wrong smbios.plist

I just used files on your guide. Which mac version should I used on smbios? Can you give me your smbios.plist? I have T61 7663-A18 with X3100, maybe it differ from yours?

I just used files on your guide. Which mac version should I used on smbios? Can you give me your smbios.plist? I have T61 7663-A18 with X3100, maybe it differ from yours?

Maybe realy is diferent-my mashine is IBMT61 7661-CTO

You need to yse your own DSDT,and patch it :hysterical: