InsanelyMac Forum
  • Announcements

• Allan

Solution to create a topic or post.   04/24/2018

Hello guys. The majority of you are having issues to create a topic or post here. This are a problem with our current theme InsanelyMac.  Now the theme will be the Default IPS. Sorry for any inconvenience.
jake1111

Best Laptop for OSX under $600

I am trying to get OSX on my Asus Ultrabook but if I cant what would be a good laptop to install OSX Lion and or Mountain Lion on that's under or at $600? I was looking at the new HP DM4-3170se Beats edition refurb but Im not sure if that's OSX compatible yet

Advertisement

It's an Ivy Bridge so you should find support for that as most macs are now ivy bridge.

Also it uses the Intel HD 4000 Graphics which is also used in some of the MacBook's so you should have fairly good support.

You'll probably have to double check the chipset but I'd say it should work.

I know this is probably a stupid question but the beats software probably won't work, correct, and since the laptop has a 640GB HDD and a 32SSD I'm assumming I could dual boot?

You may want to check out the HP Probook series: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=HP+Probook&x=0&y=0

I personally had one, and I had the latest version of Lion (retail) installed, and it worked great! They had mostly everything working except for a few things like some of the finger gestures on the touchpad, but otherwise it was a great alternative to buying a MacBook!