"Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer."

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have problem with instalation Mountain Lion DP1 based on this tutorial. I'm doing everything just like in tutorial, but when I'm booting from flash drive, it gives me a "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer." error. Few moths ago I was running on Lion Hackintosh.

I have MSi P67A-C45 motherboard, Core i5 2500k, ATi 4850, 4GB RAM.I haven't hackintosh machine right now, but I'm running on Lion on VMware. Should it be that problem?

Problem is your trying to install it on a PC instead of a Mac :) Adding proper smbios (so it thinks it's a Mac) to /Extra on the installer (newer iMac one should do fine) should fix the error. If still issue delete platform support.plist and/or installable machines.plist from the installer

"/" means the root of your hard drive, so it's before you get to any folders with names. Probably shouldn't be starting out with pre-release software like Mountain Lion as it takes a prior understanding of how your hardware works with OSX to get running properly, and all hardware and software is far better supported in Lion. Also don't recommend it unless you have a Apple Developer account as you need your account info to install xcode along with all the command line tools. That being said, the process to make the installer and get installation going is the same as Lion. Tutorial you were using was really not very good. Sentences like this "Inside Install ESD there will be "BaseSystem.dmg", run it." are one example, run the dmg? wtf :wallbash: It also says absolutely nothing about making a partition to install OSX onto, only includes creating partition for the installer. If your installing OSX onto a drive NOT being shared with windows, it makes things much easier. Using Disk Utility reformat the drive you are going to install onto as GUID partition table and HFS+ as the file system. If done this way you do not need to worry about adding either of the OSInstall files it shows being copied to your USB. They're are only needed if installing OSX to a MBR formatted drive, which should not be done unless absolutely necessary. Not having a proper formatted drive and volume to install onto could be the other possible cause for the error you received. Take a look at this tutorial instead http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=259068, adapt to Mountain Lion if needed. /Extra is located at / and if it doesn't exist than make it same way you would make any other folder. Other tutorial just had a line about installing Chameleon and including smbios in the options, which will also create an /Extra folder in the process, so if you don't have one you didn't follow the direction correctly, even if the directions aren't very good anyway. Hope that helps some, keep reading cause all the information is out there. Even just reading a few different tutorials can help a lot as even if the information is the same, things are worded differently where each one may help you to understand something that the previous one did not.