No AHCI - screwed?

27 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So I'm lucky enough to not have AHCI as an option anywhere in the BIOS.

Hardware:

MSI G41M-P23

CPU: either E2220 or E6660 (been switching them around in case it was the cpu, but I will probably keep the E2220 installed

I first tried using ###### and can't get the 10.6.0 to install in the frankenmac. I took the hard drive, installed it in a Mac, installed 10.6, upgraded to 10.6.8, connected it back to the MSI, and could still not boot up through ######.

I attached the screen shot of where I always get stuck at.

Is using eyeboot not good? I noticed ### were stamped over it.

post-496098-0-74265400-1337126645_thumb.jpg

For the board that I have, I dont have the option to turn it to AHCI and it installed fine on my machine. I would like to help you. On that screenshot I can't see an obvious problem. Do have have one of trying to run it but not in safe mode and -v?

Yup. Here it is with just -v

post-496098-0-12760700-1337178796_thumb.jpg

Okay not sure why the pic is coming up upside down. I uploaded it several times and still its upside down. Let me know if you cant flip it and I'll just upload it some place else. Thx

lol, i just flipped my display with my nvida control panel to read it. How much memory have you got in the system?

Can you take you pc down to 2GB or 3GB just to test if it works, if it does then it is a problem with it being over 3GB, which I had a problem with at one point.

looks like someone else has been having a problem installing too and with your same motherboard. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=263375

I am hoping that your board is going to be compatible to be a hackintosh.

Would you be able to try and install it using the ModCD which you can download and burn. Use it to boot with, then change it to the retail dvd and try to install it. Thats what I used and I had no problems with it. http://www.osx86.net/view/2298-nawcom_modcd_0.3.2.html

The letter i and the word boot right after. Not sure why that boot loader is hashed out.

I've given up on this motherboard, and Ive ordered an Asus that I did confirm it has ahci. I remember installing on a Gigabyte motherboard a few years ago that the OSX install was seamless when the bios was setup the right way. I think it is just this board's lack of bios features.

I've ordered another board so let's see how it goes.

It does seem strange that it would not install, as I have no Bios settings to change but it still worked. Did you check off the new motherboard to make sure it is compatible with OSX?

AHCI seems like a hit and miss. Some sites say its mandatory yet others like yourself were lucky enough to get it installed without it. This board is not on the list of approved boards, but neither is the old Gigabyte board that worked flawlessly.

I'm not mad. I mean, it comes with the territory of installing software in hardware it wasn't intended for.

I bought this board so that I can use an old E2220 CPU with it. Otherwise, I would have just bought a board from the list of approved and tested boards. If the 2nd board doesn't work, I'll have no choice but to get a new board and CPU that are approved. I know the E 2220 should not be the issue as others run with it. But as a test, I also used a core2duo and still no luck.

I'll keep you posted what happens with the new board. I should have it Monday.

The kext can be installed in two places really. System/Library/Extensions and Extra/Extensions, they are normally installed in there. Keep me informed with the new board, will help if you have problems.

Reading up more about it, I dont think it is a case of injecting the kext directly into the DVD image but more finding a boot or modcd that will add the kexts that you need right before the install. The modcd should have added a kext for you but I guess maybe did not recognise your board. Maybe we should look at all the possible ways of installing a retail dvd as I know of three, modcd, eyeboot and I have used another one in the past.

So me new ASUS P5G41T-M-LX m

So my new ASUS P5G41T-M-LX motherboard came in. ###### install, ###### and bam. In an hour I had booted from hard drive, had 10.6.8, and had audio working. Only thing that wasn't working is the Atheos gigabit LAN, but I dropped in a Realtek pic LAN card for now.

Amazing how much time you save just getting the right hardware! Lesson learned.

I am glad that new board is working well for you. What are you doing with that old board now? Turn it into a Linux server or desktop? Be a nice little PC that way.