OS X on usb drive

trifgabi

8 posts in this topic

Hi.

I have an inspiron E1505 running xp:( and an external hard drive hooked up. I wonder if anyone knows if os x runs on this specific machine and if there's anything special i need to do while installing. i suppose it would ask on which drive do i want it istalled.

thank you

I am actually running an E1505 and i just got it setup. I used 10.4.4 and i had to to somethings to get the power monitor to work and my particular wireless card doesnt work but wired ethernet does work. also when I close the laptop lid the screen goes black and dont come back. The lid and the wireless have no fixes.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600, nothing special, which has a 40 GB HD. As Windows currently uses 35 of these, I knew I couldn't put OSx86 on it. Instead, I went out and bought a FireLite 60GB portable USB drive that fits in a pocket, and, after using Disk Utility to make erase it to Mac OS X (Journalled), everything worked fine. I have had to re-install it once or twice, but that is just fine. I have it set up to work with my monitor and internet is perfect. It has frozen occasionally, but that's only when I leave it on for a few hours without touching it. As long as you turn it off before going out anywhere and don't interrupt it while it's booting, it can run perfectly well off of a USB drive.

Just to tell you, I am writing this using Safari, and everything is working.

The Chain0 boot option works, too.

I also got OSX86 running off an external portable (2.5") USB drive. Worked with my Thinkpad as well as a Dell desktop (unfortunately I can't recall whether sound or network connection worked).

I also sucessfully ran OS X from a USB drive. I just formatted and partitioned the drive with Disk Utility from the install disk (10.4.6 JaS). I then had to use fdisk from a linux boot cd to set the USB drive as active (bootable) and the partiton type had to be set to "AF". After wich I could use the boot menu available in my Bios to tell it to boot from the external HD.

Hope this helps,

-Chris