Can anyone hel me in my quest to install Lion on PC?

Baldur2630

31 posts in this topic

I'm a retired Novell Engineer - sick of Windows! I have a number of PC's (all self-made, but before I discovered Mac on PC), We standardised on LGA 777. In the house there are 5 PC's (and a couple of older ones in the basement!). All LGA 775 except one and that's a Medion my daughter bought a few weeks ago!

I would very much like to start with this Machine 1 or Machine 2. I tried it on 1. The iATKOS DVD boots up OK. It seems to install with -v -x -cpus=1, but right at the end, it just dies. Here are the machine specs. If anyone has done this or can point me in the right direction, I'll be happy. I still have another machine with the same board, but different CPU etc. This is Machine 2.

For starters, would I be better to try to install Lion on Machine 1 or Machine 2?

MACHINE #1

Motherboard Name : Asus P5G41T-M LX

CPU Type : QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz (9 x 267)

North Bridge: Intel Eaglelake G41

South Bridge: Intel 82801GB ICH7

RAM Total : 8191 MB Module Name : Kingston 99U5471-017.A00LF

Video Device Description : ATI Radeon HD 5450

Sound : Creative Audigy 2 ZS (SB0350) Sound Card PCI Enabled and used

Part of Video Card : ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI Cedar/Park - High Definition Audio Controller PCI (not used)

Motherboard (Disabled) : Realtek ALC887 @ Intel 82801GB ICH7 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1] PCI

Hard Drive Controller : Intel® 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0

Drive #1 - WDC WD6400AAKS-00A7B0 (596 GB)

Drive #2 - ST3500830AS (465 GB)

Drive #3 - ST3500830AS (465 GB)

CD/DVD-ROM Device Description : Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170S ATA Device

Network Card : Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)

BIOS Type AMI

BIOS Version 0902

Machine #2

Motherboard Name : Asus P5G41T-M LX

CPU Type : QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300, 2500 MHz (7.5 x 333)

North Bridge : Intel Eaglelake G41

RAM Total :8191 MB Module Name : Kingston 99U5471-017.A00LF

Video Device Description : ATI Radeon HD 5500 Series

Sound : Realtek ALC887 @ Intel 82801GB ICH7 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1] PCI

Part of Video card : ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI Redwood/Madison - High Definition Audio Controller PCI (not used)

Hard Drive Controller : Intel® 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0

Drive #1 - WDC WD2500AAJS-00VTA0 (232 GB)

Drive #2 - WDC WD4000AAKS-00TMA0 (372 GB)

Drive #3 - ST3500830AS (465 GB)

Drive #4 - WDC WD4000KD-00NAB0 (372 GB)

Network Card : Intel® PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter

BIOS Type AMI

BIOS Version 0902

Any advice / help would be much appreciated. If you need any further info please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Wow. Both those rigs would be fun to throw Osx onto. For starters, I would highly suggest switching to a different install method. The retail 10.6.3 install method (google is your friend) is fairly simple, and very much compatible with many different hardwares.

Second, its best to install Osx with a maximum of 4096 mb memory. Either remove 4gb or start up with boot flag maxmem=4096

Finally. Ati has fairly decent support in Osx.

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=245681

Ati 5450 in snow leopard.

Good luck.

Hope this helps.

Ps. Sorry for typos or if the link isn't exactly relevant. Did this and the research on my phone in traffic lol.

Pps. I suggest to start with 10.6.3 so that you can have a good starting point in which to prepare certain media that makes it easier to get lion installed. Ie boot disks, partition setup etc.

I'll pop out tomorrow and see if I can still buy a 10.6.3 Disk and give it a bash. I'll get back to you with any problems. Pity I didn't know you could install MAC on PC hardware before I bought all these machines and built them. I managed to get Lion 10.7.3 working on VMware Workstation 8.1 (it doesn't seem to like 8.2, the patch doesn't work on 8.2 yet). Impressive, even as a VM. Nice to have more than one PC! and lotsa hard drives and spare CPU's.

You wont be able to find a 10.6.3 retail disk for sale anywhere. You can download one from the promo bay though. Need a dual later disk and burner. Hopefully torrents and iso's are familiar to you.

Promo bay? Do you have a URL for me?

At 71 and having worked with and for Novell since 1984 and with UNIX, Linux, and heaven knows what, you could say that I'm familiar with iso's and torrents!

I don't know if im allowed to post a link to this site.

Google "the promo bay" and you'll find what site im referring to.

Once found, search that site for 10.6.3 retail, and find one with the word "ADDICT" in the title. That's the one I used.

It'll download as a .dmg, which you can open And burn with ultraiso.

Props to you for sticking with the times at 71.

Thanks, will let you know how it works and share the problems! I've always hated Windows but Linux isn't quite there yet, not enough of my necessary apps are available for a Linux box (or they are not that stable). I was most impressed that there are so many 'native' MAC apps - e.g Guitar Pro 6 that run on it. I have GP6 on a Windows box and Arobas say I can also run it on a MAC with no extra charge. (I play guitar as a hobby - used to do it professionally when I was MUCH younger, but I can still hammer out a tune, even though the fingers 'ain't wot they used to woz'). If you like Guitar music (no singing!) try http://hktmusic.corp.networkingtechnology.org everything is FREE to either listen to or download!

Hi

i would suggest you to install Lion 10.7.3 ,you have both rigs with potential for it...

I don't know about the ATIs, 'couse, I use Nvidia..see my signature..

I used this ..http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729

good luck

c.frio

C.Frio - I looked at the link you gave me and it says I need to have a Mac installed BEFORE I can install Lion. In any case as I want to eventually get to Lion, I bought it today. I don't know if my wife got me the right thing, because the DVD I go is under 4GB for Lion and the Snow Leopard needeed a Double Layer DVD! I would have expected Lion to be bigger and support more hardware.

Kmisterk - One thing I forgot to mention. All except one PC have PS/2 Keyboards and mice. I got the maxmem=4096 and I've looked at most of the other switches. Is there a switch for PS/2 support, or should I just attach USB versions. The problem with that is that all the KVM seitches are for PS/2 not USB.

I got everything together today, so I'm going to start work on this tomorrow (Sunday) and I'll keep you both informed. I'll try both systems (SL and Lion).

I preseume that as neither of them boot on the PC's that I should use ###### and advice on version or other switches / flags apart from -v and maxmem.

One more question - once I've Partitioned the additional hard drive, I guess I should go to Customize. Should I select ALL the Network Cards / video . sound or just select the ones I think I might want? It's like going back to school Backline NDS/eDirectory support was EASY compared to this project!

hi...I always used retail install ,it is easy and you know what you are doing...

with windows you can prepare your had drive using Macdrive,there're some topics about this on several forums...

some ideas here

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=266390

this one is in portuguese but you can see the pictures

http://www.1up.net.b...-pc-hackintosh/

I'll look for it ...in english

at first you need usb devices and after you can change...as I heard..

ps..the install part of lion is "base system "with 4.7gb

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729

c.frio

I always use the retail disk method as well, especially since upgrading any tweaked distros is Damn near impossible. And if you're using the retail version, you shouldn't have. A election of video and network cards during the install process. Only afterwards when you're using mult ibeast

I really appreciate all the advice, but I'm starting to think that this is out of my depth. All the links assume that the reader has used a Mac before and knows all the terminology and extensions. I'm sorry, I don't. I gathered from my brief experience with a VMware version that a .dmg is similar to an iso and a .pkg is something like an rpm, but the more I read, the more confused I get!

I read http://www.insanelym...howtopic=278082 Method 1 seems to assume that a Mac is already installed. Method 2 says "Make a directory in your root HD, name : Mac OS X Install DATA, and put InstallESD.dmg in this folder, so it should be located : "/Mac OS X Install" DATA/InstallESD.dmg". From the / terminology, I guess this is also referring to a Mac. I would imagine that Windows would use a \. I don't have a Mac installed already.Where would I get the InstallESD.dmg from?

Someone should write an installation procedure for people who only know how to SPELL Mackintosh and not only for people who either already own a Mac or who already have Mac installed on a PC. You can't learn algebra if you don't know basic math. maybe I'm just too old, but so far EVERYTHING I have read assumes that the reader is already a Mac user or has a Mac installed on his/her PC already.

I have 5 PC's, two of which I have given the specs for. I have a retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3 DVD which doesn't boot on either of the two PC's. I have a bought copy of Mac Lion 10.7.3 on a DVD which also doesn't boot on either PC.

What I need is a step by step guide on how to use either of these to install a Mac on a NEW separate Hard Disk, which won't trash my Win7 Hard Drive. I'm quite happy to fiddle with flags and I don't care how long it takes, BUT I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT TO CHANGE, WHEN TO CHANGE IT AND HOW TO CHANGE IT. To me those are the essentials.

If I can't get some info for NON-Mac users who are familar with all versions of DOS, Windows, Novell and CentOS/RedHat/Fedora Linux (SuSE is a swearword), I might as well give up now. because whilst I really appreciate the advice, I am NOT a Mac user or owner guys and I don't have a Mac already installed. If I need software which I need to download I need the links and you can PM me if you can't put them on here. I speak English, Afrikaans, Dutch and basic German, but no Spanish or Portuguese!

hi...

look.. with transmac or mac drive installed on windows you can see the hd you want to format and format it with "mac os extended "

an then you can prepare your pen drive and install it on the hd ,after that make a boot with the pen drive and access the hd wit lion

this is the picture of install..after it runs we can take care about video ,net and audio

you can find some directions looking for

"prepare lion dvd install trought windows with macdrive "

or at least you can make a snow leopard DVD on win and install it after that prepare the lion...

c.frio

I downloaded MacDrive and then I tried all the ways I could find using the Lion DVD but every time, it just locked up and died.

Eventually I went back to the iATKOS DVD and hit F8, selected -v -cpus=1 -maxmem=4096 -x

It took a while to install to the language selection screen (I took some screen shots with my camera if you need them)

I then made a single Partition of the 500GB Drive and continued the installation. It took well over an hour.

When finished, I took the advice in the second link you sent me and booted the DVD again and re-installed. This time I didn't use the -x, but I did use the others. After language selection I selected Customize

I selected PS/2, ATI, Atheros and left all the others at default.

The installation went quicker this time until it got to 5 mins and then slowed down again. When it finished ( saved the Log file

I booted again and this time selected to boot from the Mac Drive rather than the DVD.

I got a mesage Unsupported card and soon after that the rotating thingy stopped and I got a kernel panic twice

panic CPU 2 caller..... (if you want this I can get it for you.

Backtrace CPU 2 and a message that I need to retart the computer

I tried the re-install one more time without -cpus=1. No errors noticed in the log, but boot again failed and behind the screen telling me to reboot there seemed to be something about Voodoo, so it might be my Soundbalster Audigy that it can't handle.

Any suggestions?

EUREKA!!! With the -v -cpus=1 -maxmen=4096 -x It booted up. I skipped the iCloud AppleID and Regsitration

Forgot to mention, I had to attach a USB mouse! The boot continued and I then get a message

Bluetooth Keyboard Setup

There isn't a keyboard connected - seems to be looking for a Wireless Keyboard and it's hanging with the rotating thingy

I have a PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse attached to a KVM because I have 4 computers by my desk

Thanks for the fantastic help. I'm getting there!

I found out how to close the Bluetooth window. The PS/2 Keyboard works, but not the mouse. The network card doesn't work (not there)

Where to now?

Try booting with fewer boot flags. Boot with -v -cpus=1 -maxmen=4096. If that doesn't work, it is probably a problem with your graphics. So, then add the -x back in and drop the -maxmen=4096. Keep going until you have eliminated the unnecessary boot flags. Again, if you are left with -x, you probably need to work on your video.

I've been trying all the possible things that I can. here is what I have : -

No NIC

Video only one mode - 1024 x 768

No Sound

PS/2 Mouse not working

I'll try the different boot flags and report back

With -x, you are going to have restricted video. You need to work on your video drivers so you don't need to boot with -x anymore. The -x is also probably killing your NIC, I can't remember.

For sound you need to add VoodooHDA and also PS/2 drivers. These were optiions on the iAtkos DVD.

You can Google for VoodooHDA 2.7.3 and go to Kexts.com and search for PS/2 drivers.

Right, I can take out everything EXCEPT -x. Without the -x it just stops

System Information show

sound = Intel High Definition Audio (it's built into the Motherboard but disabled in BIOS because it sucks and my Audigy is far better for sound.

Ethernet cards it says there isn't one (it's an Atheros - see specs for Computer 1)

Graphics Display Type GPU - no kext loaded

PCI Cards - says there isn't any, (it;s all lies I tell you - It has a Soundblaster Audigy and an ATI Radeon HD5500

Everything else looks OK

Until you can boot without -x, you won't have graphics or ethernet. You really need to research solutions for your graphics card. Search the forum. Search Google. Search Kexts.com

For a more complete picture of what is installed including identification numbers, run another program called System Information: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219584

I found this : -

http://www.osx86.net/view/2465-ati-5450_series_injector.html

Unfortunately (a) I have no idea what language this is and even more (B) I have NO idea how to install it/

It seems to cover my ATI Card. Can some kind person give me DETAILS of exactly how to deploy it, please?

Indonesian

Package includes:

- ATI5000Injector.kext

- Kext Helper B7

- SystemInfo

- some kexts

1. Use Kext Helper to install ATI5000Injector.kext

2. Use System Information to figure out device id and vendor id of graphics card.

3. Go to /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/Info.plist and insert the device and vendor ids

Device and vendor ids are 4 digit hex numbers

If you have a code like 0x68F91002, then 68F9 is the device id and 1002 is the vendor id.

Put your device id and vendor id in the same format and place into the Info.plist

Afterwards, reboot with boot flag -f

Follow up: found a posting that said to add device id and vendor id to ATI5000Controller.kext as well.