Hackintosh Charges iPad in DP2?

7 posts in this topic

As mentioned, when I plug my iPad in my DP2 installed hackintosh, the iPad displayed "charging" icon, I tried that with iPad 2 wifi and new iPad wifi, result is the same.

From what I know, my board, Sabertooth x58 does have the capability of charging an iPad. When I look at the USB device in system profiler, it says the current required, and the current available is 500mA, plus a line called extra current available 500mA. That is a total of 1A!

1A is the current required to charge the iPad, but is that true? What I found on the net about Gigabyte motherboard user is that they need a patch to increase the USB current to charge the iPad. There is no patch for ASUS users. If anyone has an answer, or having the same experience I have, please say.

also, can my hackintosh really charge my iPad, testings will be carried out later.

Note:I did not intentionally do any patch to enable iPad charging, if any, that would be merely coincidence.

Also, can an edited DSDT do that? I'm really curios to find the answer

As mentioned, when I plug my iPad in my DP2 installed hackintosh, the iPad displayed "charging" icon, I tried that with iPad 2 wifi and new iPad wifi, result is the same.

From what I know, my board, Sabertooth x58 does have the capability of charging an iPad. When I look at the USB device in system profiler, it says the current required, and the current available is 500mA, plus a line called extra current available 500mA. That is a total of 1A!

1A is the current required to charge the iPad, but is that true? What I found on the net about Gigabyte motherboard user is that they need a patch to increase the USB current to charge the iPad. There is no patch for ASUS users. If anyone has an answer, or having the same experience I have, please say.

also, can my hackintosh really charge my iPad, testings will be carried out later.

Note:I did not intentionally do any patch to enable iPad charging, if any, that would be merely coincidence.

Also, can an edited DSDT do that? I'm really curios to find the answer

Sabertooth does support iPad/iPhone4+ charging, there is a function they call Ai charger, similar to what some Gigabyte boards have. They have a windows driver for it on their product support page and there is a BIOS setting in the last BIOS screen next to drive Xpert, but I have not done any testing to see if it works native in OSX since wifi syncing was enabled, not much reason to plug it in direct anymore. And Windows I just don't use very often.

Sabertooth does support iPad/iPhone4+ charging, there is a function they call Ai charger, similar to what some Gigabyte boards have. They have a windows driver for it on their product support page and there is a BIOS setting in the last BIOS screen next to drive Xpert, but I have not done any testing to see if it works native in OSX since wifi syncing was enabled, not much reason to plug it in direct anymore. And Windows I just don't use very often.

OK, I was wrong about the BIOS setting, thats something else with the lan, and from what I could tell in a few seconds of googling, the Ai charging download at ASUS site is a utility and not necessarily a driver, so function is there, just gotta tell the software to use it. Interesting comment also said you can use the same ASUS utility on other brands of mobo too, but the extra current will only kick in for apple devices(i.e. not Android) All this is unconfirmed gibberish from another forum.

This is kind of strange. When I'm in Lion, my hack can't charge my ipad, this only happen when I'm in MLion.

So, does that mean Apple has changed something to allow hackintosh to charge iPad? As far as I know, all real Macs charges iPad, thus there is no reason for Apple to modify things for charging, right?

BTW, can anyone else charge their iPad in MLion?

NEW UPDATE: I tried plugging my new iPad into a Gigabyte hack, the iPad displayed "not charging". When I launch system profiler and in the USB section, the current required is 500mA with no "extra current available". So this is not a iPad malfunction but is really charging! without additional drivers.

Which USB ports are you using? I tried the front panel and one of the rear 2.0 ports and did indicate a charge. Did not try 3.0 posts, nor have I installed the 3.0 kext yet. Did you install the 2.0 rollback kext, or using the native ML kexts?

I used the rear USB 2.0 port, and I used the native ML kexts, no rollback.

Also, after a search, the ai charger in windows claims to have 50% faster charged time. So that does fit the 500ma extra current, however, authentic macs can have 1600ma of extra current, there is no way doing that, right?

Just getting the 1amp on a hack is probably the max, and pretty sure thats only possible on motherboards released after the iPad/iphone4 since it's alreading exceeding the USB 2.0 spec. I'm not getting the extra charge current on my iPad, also using native ML USB kexts, but have all the USB fixes in boot.plist(not sure they're all needed). 1st gen 64mb 3g iPad on IOS 5.0.1 with JB. What iPad model and IOS version? Was waiting for untethered JB before moving up to IOS 5.1, but thinking that might also be relevant.

On a side note: been trying to find out the cause of a couple error logs that are spamming my console repeatedly and wondering if you have any of them?

"coreservicesd: FindBestLSSession(), no match for inSessionID kLSCurrentSessionID auditTokenInfo( uid=205 euid=205 auSessionID=100000 create=true"

and

"locationd: type IDs do not match - 18446744073709551615"

I believe they are related to using ethernet for all services including enabling airdrop over ethernet, back to my mac and find my mac (manually created a apple restore partition to enable) and not having any wifi installed. find my mac can be enabled this way, but still need wifi for it to show up on map. If so, I may look into getting a native wifi card.

then only while screen sharing to my hack from my macbook I get this one over and over, but the last 2 number sets change and some times the first two will end in a 2 or 3 instead of 1:

"kernel: Warning: IOSurface 00000001 seed changed while owned by an accelerator 00000001: 000144c3 -> 000144c4"

everything works OK, but I'm kinda anal about stuff. Thanks.

Well, didn't use any USB bus fix, the iPad I'm using is 3rd gen, running iOS 5.1.

I'm also getting that locationd message, after a google search, locationd is a location service just like iOS, so it's fine to get this message since we don't have any wifi card installed