Dual booting lion and mountain lion

8 posts in this topic

Hello all

I have installed Mountain lion and Lion on the same hard drive its GUID 600GB two partitions on the lion partition I had Chameleon 1822 and when I tried to boot ML it would crash and reboot so I put the same SMBios in the extera folder of both and the same boot plist as I read around the forums most agree you have to use Chameleon 1820 so I booted into lion and insatlled 1820 and now ML boots fine and lion gets KP am I missing something? any advice would be great.

Thank you in advance

• Like 1

Hey Mac Geek, this is my forst post and i'm pretty new to all this, but i tried the same thing, 1 hdd, 2 partitions, Lion and ML, and the same thing happened, i could boot into ML but Lion would now get a KP. I erased the ML install and installed to a different hdd and everything booted just fine. I can't tell you why this happens on one hdd with 2 partitions or a fix for it, but i just wanted to let you know my experience

Hello all

I have installed Mountain lion and Lion on the same hard drive its GUID 600GB two partitions on the lion partition I had Chameleon 1822 and when I tried to boot ML it would crash and reboot so I put the same SMBios in the extera folder of both and the same boot plist as I read around the forums most agree you have to use Chameleon 1820 so I booted into lion and insatlled 1820 and now ML boots fine and lion gets KP am I missing something? any advice would be great.

Thank you in advance

i have both dual booted aswell and can boot into both of them without any problems. try installing chameleon 2.1 onto your drive with ML and then install chimera 1.8.0. this is what i was told to do and it works without any probs for me. hope this helps

I have both ML and Lion on the same drive I put the same bootloader (Chameleon 1820) and SMBios and boot.plist on both partitions and it works I still get KP sometimes at boot but r1820 is the only one that works if I install any other revision on one or both KP on both r1820 on both both boot fine most of the time I have the one drive as GUID thats why both are one one drive

Funny I suffered from that problem and the issue of the bootloader not finding the mach_kernel of 10.7 whenever I booted 10.8 so to remedy that I just installed the newer cham for 10.8 on one flash drive and the other cham that normally boots 10.7 on another flash drive which fixed my problem regarding that. My KP was a result of the AppleACPIPlatform kext but that usually happens when I overclock beyond 300mhz on my cpu I just receive that KP.

My ML and Lion were on two different hard drives as well but I find it more dependent on where you store your bootloader because I keep mine on flash drives as opposed to on the hard drives themselves which makes fixing things more flexible for me. Just my 2 cents.

I had similar problem and also issue with some of my settings like user defined framebuffer in boot.plist not loading under ML. First fix was the realization that not all Chameleon revisions after 1820 are ML compatible, mainly the ones Cham Wizard was fetching, so be sure to get one that includes ML boot patch. 1820 not good for booting Lion if it will at all, so only recommended as temporary bootloader while first installing ML. Second issue was both Lion and ML had /Extra folder with identical contents, having /Extra on more than one volume caused chameleon to spaz out and not load stuff like frame buffer even when both Extra folders were exactly the same and bdmesg showed it loaded my Uakari, it did not. Deleting entire extra folder from ML solved this and most my settings from Lion were loaded in ML(Lion install is on raid 0 so Extra and Chameleon were on OSX Raid helper partiions, not sure if this had any effect or maybe just bad version of chameleon) So to fix, need newest "ML compatible Chameleon" and not just 1820 or newer, only install it to the 1 HD you plan to use most and only have /Extra folder on that same drive. Made ML drive my boot drive and my primary os with correct chameleon and extra folder from lion copied to it and removed extra from lion. All works great now for my set up, but milage may vary. Havent even used Lion in a couple weeks now, especially since Hands On now works with it as a replacement for little snitch. For a initial dev preview, ML is great, Lion's DP1 was unusable at best and only by DP3 was it near where ML is now, and those who complain about little bugs in a beta OS, are really missing the whole point.

• Like 1

Good advice what I did I deleted the "boot" file and Extra from the ML partition installed Chameleon r1886 on the first (Lion) partition I did get the same KP on each at first boot both booted fine the second time I will try more reboots later Thank you

After several boots still no KP

**EDIT**

I updated to Chameleon 1887 and back to the same things ML would reboot after a split second KP in Lion so I tried to go back to r1886 then nether system would boot at all so, booting from my USB ML installer I reinstalled Chameleon r1820 then updated to r1886 and again nether system would boot so for now anyway I put back the same Extra file in both systems and reinstalled Chameleon r1820 this seems to be the most stable on my system

Good advice what I did I deleted the "boot" file and Extra from the ML partition installed Chameleon r1886 on the first (Lion) partition I did get the same KP on each at first boot both booted fine the second time I will try more reboots later Thank you

After several boots still no KP

**EDIT**

I updated to Chameleon 1887 and back to the same things ML would reboot after a split second KP in Lion so I tried to go back to r1886 then nether system would boot at all so, booting from my USB ML installer I reinstalled Chameleon r1820 then updated to r1886 and again nether system would boot so for now anyway I put back the same Extra file in both systems and reinstalled Chameleon r1820 this seems to be the most stable on my system

Like I mentioned before, just because the chameleon version is later than 1820, does not mean it includes the patch needed to boot ML. ML is a dev preview so don't expect chameleon to include support as part of the main trunk for a while yet. At this point only branch I personally know boots both Lion and ML with no probs(there's others I'm sure) is MacMan's branch which is available at that tony guy's site...which is odd to say the least.