10.6.6, Chameleon 2.1 r1686 - Can't boot with over 2048MB RAM

jhohisel

6 posts in this topic

I just bought an identical RAM stick (2GB) to add to my existing 2GB to have 4GB dual channel RAM. Booted up and chameleon goes into a reboot loop. Played around with -force64, maxmem=4096, all without success. Well I finally got it going, but at the cost of not needing the RAM I bought. The ONLY way it will boot up (and it boots 100% normal) is if I set maxmem=2048. If I do maxmem=2049, it does the reboot loop. Note: I am on legacy kernel. Anyone have any ideas?

One of your 3rd-party drivers or an older version of an Apple driver is choking on the extra memory.

Go through all the kernel extensions you are using that aren't vanilla and see if there are more recent versions or other ways to deal with whatever it is you need that driver for.

To begin with, try disabling PATA, Ethernet and Sound in the BIOS, one at a time, and try to boot without the maxmem flag. Drivers will not load if the hardware is disabled. If a driver for one of the three is responsible you'll know right away.

Disabled everything I could in the BIOS one at a time like you instructed, however it still does the reboot loop. I am maybe thinking it's the legacy kernel, but doesn't seem likely. I'm going to try to update to 10.6.7 and see if my graphics card will still be supported. Maybe 10.6.7 will fix it.

Installed 10.6.7 and legacy kernel darwin 10.7.0, still does the reboot loop. I backed-up and deleted all kexts in /Extra/Extensions with no effect. I also tried disabling everything, but still no go. I managed to see what the verbose said before it reboot, the last line is "Darwin is x86" and if I do -force64 it says "Darwin is x86-64" (I thought 64-bit might help).

Boots up in safe mode with 4GB RAM, however I don't think it's recognizing it correctly because just after I start it up there's already 2.16GB RAM wired when there's usually 100 something MB.

EDIT: Works with ModCD normally and uses 4GB RAM, shows 386MB wired and 3.20GB free. I'd like it to show this when I use the bootloader on my HD. And unfortunately my graphics fix doesn't work on ModCD. I don't know if it's the CD or the version of chameleon.

What would be the difference between ModCD and the chameleon on my HDD? Could just be the different version, I would try the chameleon version that's on the CD but NVEnabler doesn't work on it.

*cough* bump *cough*

Still doesn't work, ModCD 0.3.2 will recognize and use 4GB but chameleon 2.1 will not. My graphics do not work with ModCD.

Anyone know if there's something special on ModCD that's not on my install? Could it possibly be the legacy kernel, and can I use any version of legacy kernel with OSX 10.6.7?

ModCD is Chameleon. Take the ModCD apart, compare configuration files and kernel extensions to yours and find out what's on it that makes it work. Then try to replicate this on your own Chameleon installation.

Kernel extensions are on the preboot.dmg ram disk image, you can mount it like a regular disk image and see what's inside.

If there's an mkext on there, forum search or google for the Terminal command that unpacks an mkext.