FreeBSD 9.0

fos

5 posts in this topic

FreeBSD is one of the oldest *nix clones around. Version 9.0 was released early in january. The install media had some flaws that caused problems. They seem to be fixed.

I installed 9.0 on my MacBook Pro using VMWare Fusion. I accepted all of the defaults and it was up an running in less that ten minutes. One thing that inspired the installation was the inclusion of clang in this version. Clang is an alternative to gnu c/c++. Gnu c/c++ is hard to beat. Clang has a license that the admins at FreeBSD like better. In time, they will swith FreeBSD entirely to clang. Currently clang will not compile everything in their source tree. A mention on the forum says it is around 85% and should be the goto compiler for version 10 sometime in 2013.

In the mean time, I intend to play with clang. Its error identification and location tools are supposed to be superior to gnu. Efficience and code size are also supposed to be improved.

We will see.....

Does anyone have experience with clang they would like to share with the group?

fos

I tried PCBSD 9.0, that as you certainly know, is FreeBSD based.

Not a very good experience. It took half a day to install on a very fast machine. Maybe because I used ZFS.

Also, it somehow messed up my Windows install. I used any known method to repair it, but to no avail.

I have found that VMWare Fusion is pretty robust. I have Win XP, CentOS 6.2, and FreeBSD 9 running on my MacBook Pro. I'm even running ZoomText 9.1 on the Win XP slice and it behaves as well as it did on a native windows machine. It does have a mouse pointer shadow that is a nuisance but I only run win for a proprietary braille program called Perky Duck that is required for some homework at Texas Tech. It sure beats having to lug around a second computer.

BTW, the guest operating systems reside in a window within OS X just like regular applications. I can move the mouse pointer to the different "windows" by using <control><command>. It is a very seamless operation. It was Daniel's review of VMWare on the other forum that led me to use it instead of Parallels. So far it has been a good choice.

fos

Both Parallels and VMware Fusion are pretty good, IMO. But one day, while I was using Windows 7 in VMware, I had a BSOD. I wanted to boot Windows in safe mode, but VMware wouldn't let me do it. So I moved to Parallels 7. I only need Windows to run a couple of simple games, so my needs are easily met :)

• 7 months later...