Recommend me a passively cooled graphics card - please

cryptic unix

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm just in the process of building a PC. I've most of the needed components but I'm stuck with selecting a graphics card. I want Nvidia (as the PC shall be running Linux too). I'm looking for a silent, this means passively cooled, graphics card, which doesn't consume to much power, something like 30 watts would be great. I'm thinking about two cards:

• Asus ENGT520 Silent
  • Asus EN210 Silent

Both are suppose to be working according to the wiki but after doing some research I doubt that it's really trouble free. At least for the GT520, as there is a discussion about this card in this thread.

So can you recommend me either one of the above mentioned cards or is there another passivly cooled graphics card consuming only few watts?

Btw. I want to be running 10.6.8.

Thanks a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add something in case somebody else searches this topic.

After setting up a new PC I was able to acquire a very cheap EN210 graphics card too. So I've been play a little with this graphics card and was able to get it up and running under Snow Leopard 10.6.8. It didn't work OOB but after adding an EFI string to the Boot.plist everything works fine so far. I just followe this howto: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=222.0

I used the DVI-I / DVI-I option which gives me a dual screen using DVI and VGA ports. I couldn't try the HDMI port due to lack of hardware.