HELP, Please (Can't boot)

ZoroLives

56 posts in this topic

Have you tried just sticking with 10.6.7? It operates in basically the same way, but a lot easier to get working.

Why don't you try installing SL fresh w/ the OSx86 ModCD? I have instructions in my guide in my signature. That CD automatically patches the installer with bootloader and drivers.

I've kind of forgotten: what was the main issue you were having? Unbootability?

I have made it to 10.6.8 twice. The first time was on my test drive (now defunct). I have some software, DevonAgent Pro that will only work with 10.8 or above.

I looked over your other thread, impressive. Thanks for offering that service to others. And thinks for the Bday wishes. I am sure that I do not want to wipe my drive. Lately I have been trying the TONYMac [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. I must have something messed up as I keep installing the wrong version of the kernel when I do one of the steps. I end up with either a forced restart or a fast scrolling screen of data and then a shut down.

Right now I am doing another reinstallation. This time I plan to carefuly study my notes and do my best to only instal what I have already tested from past installs. I wish someone had a list with which version of which extensions worked with which instals (on this board) sigh. For the most part, according to another x58 thread, this board needs very little to actually work, two extensions I think. THen extras for internet video and sound.

Instead of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], try this:http://www.mediafire.com/?amarwnpyym9te1x Instructions are inside. :)

Thanks, I downloaded that and tried it, but no luck. I can get to 10.6.6, but without ethernet. THen when I try upgrading to 10.6.8, I get the (attached) screen.

I am at wits end here, posting to an old thread to see if I Can get others comments as well. Ongoing thanks for all you are doing to help, appreciate it (really).

I need to know what should and should not be in the extras folder for this board. I need to know what should be in the SIMBIOS list for this setup. I searched for ethernet strings and I downloaded a fix for that someone had made available, but that made no difference so far. It was working but now something is really off, and I am unable to work anymore. I MUST get this fixed.

Right now I am thinking of reinstalling 10.6.0, erasing ALL itens in Extras and in Sys/Lib/Extensions, then reinstalling again and let the installer do it all the way it is supposed to me done. I would like some feedback however before taking that step.

post-328514-0-32723500-1327689219_thumb.jpg

At the boot prompt, type

npci=0x2000

if that doesn't work, try

npci=0x3000

if that doesn't work, Ii'll get you a 10.6.8 kernel.

No, thanks. Did not work. I put each one in and tried to boot verbose to see what it was doing. All that prompt did was boot normally, but it never got past the apple logo screen, no spinning circle and I gave it about 5 minutes each.

If you can send me the kernel I would appreciate it. I think I must have one already though as I have booted in 10.6.8 already in this long mess I am trying to untangle. I just don't know how to tell which version is which and I seem to have it all totally confused.

ADDED: Continuing, I tried with a different boot disk and this time it went all the way, except that I can't do anything as it came up to the log-in screen with no USB drivers (apparently). I cant use the mouse or the keyboard to log in. That was on npci=0x2000 and npci=0x3000.

UPDATE: I have three preboot CDs from different meathods, and the one on the drive. The last disk did boot. I am booted to 10.6.8. Still no ethernet, used your npci=0x3000 method. I dont want to do ANYTHING else to this until I KNOW what I am doing. I need very much to get it running online as I have overdue work to do.

Here is a new screen shot of what my install looks like. I hope that some of al of this information will be useful in helping me to sort this out? Continued thanks.

post-328514-0-04902700-1327774279_thumb.jpg

If you're having no issues, then it should be good to continue. Have you installed Chameleon? If not, this version works great (Lion compatible, too). If you want to do any of the custom options, none of them should break your system. All you would need to do for initial boot is type at the boot prompt:

legacy_kernel npci=0x3000

or

mach_kernel.voodoo npci=0x3000

see what works. Once you find out what works, let me know and we can make the flags permanent.

For Ethernet, if you give me the vendor and device IDs for your Ethernet card I can probably get you a kext.

As far as the ethernet card there isn't one. My Ethernet is built into my Gigabyte UD4P board.

Did you look at my screen shot with what I am booting with? Does any of what I have look redundant or not necessary? From the Gigabyte x58 thread:

All that's really needed to boot into OS X on this board is a disabler.
It looks like I have way too much installed, can't remember what was there before but I think I have redundancies here. I used to boot normally, without typing in flags or using a CD and I had internet, at least on WIFI, tested a couple times on Ethernet jack OK.

Thanks

Edited by ZoroLives

The kext you mention that's necessary to boot is a bare minimum. The other kexts are PS/2, WiFi, and PATA/SATA kexts.

For the ethernet card, I was talking about the onboard Ethernet. That is still called an Ethernet card. :) Boot a Linux Live CD, open Terminal, and type lspci -nn, and paste the output here.

Sigh ... once I get back in again. I rebooted. !!!!!!!

What I get from booting into "-s" in any method I have except booting the install disk again which does have terminal on it, is, "Cannot find any working access method"

OK, Now I booted to the install disk and tried "lspci -nn", result was Command not found.

I am getting beyond frustration with this. I can't even get back in now. I did update the 10.6.8 kernel as you suggested the last time it was running. It looks like that hasn't helped though. I appreciate the help but this thing is a serious MESS. I am betting that I have something where it shouldn't be and if only someone could look at it that uses this board ... well looks like that is not happening.

What I want to know, and this is very important, is, what will happen if I:

1) Run the SNL installer so I can at least boot again if only in 10.6.0

2) Using the GUI interface, remove the Extras folder and the extensions folder (trash em)

3) Run hte installer again and do a freash SNL installation

4) Upgrade to 10.6.8

Do you know? I am thinking that if I do that at least I will have removed conflicting or duplicate kexts.

Not that I don't appreciate your kind help PM, I do. Pardon the frustration but this has been going on fora couple weeks now.

The lspci -nn command is for Linux, not OS X.

As for reinstalling, why not try the ModCD method? My guide describes how to use it, and it won't install unnecessary kexts. It is very reliable. :)

What are you currently using to install OS X?

Sorry, This has been very frustrating. I do appreciate the help. I posted back onto the origional thread wiht my MOBO and I was getting some more help that way. I was using your script and then I rebooted and now I am dead in the water. Not your scripts fault, most lily my own. But while I have dabbled with the Digital Dreme script, the TonyMac script, your script, al are good in different ways. But I have ended up confused an unable to problem solve.

I have been working to learn UNIX commands, to change directories and list files, not rocket science to a UNix geek but sadly, news to me.

Right now I can boot Single user mode and thats it. For some reason I cant even do a fresh install anymore. I can even boot directly with the bootloader on my main drive, it just KPs after that.

My current plan is to navigate to the terminal script from the DD script I mentioned: RUN_HACKINSTALLER.command. It may be that once I get into that, I can eview and redo my boot script. Although so far all I get from running it is Abort trap.

Man I wish this was fixed.

My advice, use one OS X installation tool (or what you've been calling "scripts"). Use another tool only if there is a specific driver/bootloader that you know you need and how to get it. That will be the least amount of trouble.

Please take a picture of your problem.

(If you want an opinion, the OSx86 ModCD seems to be the most advanced of the three installation methods you mention. I would use that for installing and use the other two for other drivers/bootloaders if necessary)

You are right. I apologize if I have made this process difficult for you to help me with. Just now I booted using the -x and for the first time, it worked. I am now booted in safe mode, it made repairs, etc. It never did that before, honest.

Yesterday I booted through a convoluted series of boot flags and it booted. I followed other advice but none while it was booted, and here it is again, in safe mode but GUI booted.

The real problem I have had is that I know enough to be dangerous - to myself mostly. I have spent this time asking for help, here and on another thread, so that I Can 1) fix the problem as soon as I can and 2) to understand what I need to know to stop doing this. I seem to have a major boot meltdown about once a year wiht this set up. I am really tired of getting to a place where I just dont know what belongs where, how to check for which version I have or that I SHOULD have, etc.

For example, apparently the DD script uses the Extras folder primarily and does not touch System/Library/Extensions. This is important since apparently the TonyMac method sees a whole other way of setting up for boot. Mixing and matching systems for booting has certainly gummed up the works badly.

Moreover the DD script is from a thread that focuses on my specific board. I have learned that not all boards need the same fixes and it makes more sense to stick with what others say is already working on this board.

I still do not have enough information on which kernel to use and other things that made me unable to get in without being in safe mode.

I am about to take a break and take care of some things I have to take care of. If you care to offer more help, that would be appreciated. Again I apologize for not being completely focused with your solutions.

THanks

Maybe this can help you out.

1) The Extra folder is used by the Chameleon bootloader for a. the Chameleon config file (com.apple.boot.plist or org.chameleon.boot.plist), b. a patched DSDT, c. video card replacement ROMs, and d. other extensions (the folder /Extra/Extensions). If you're wondering, "Why the /Extra/Extensions when there is /System/Library/Extensions?" the reason is if you use replacement kexts (like a different version of IO80211Family.kext for WiFi) the kext will not get removed by system updates (10.6.3 to 10.6.8, for eample).

2) The kernel depends on your CPU. If you have an Intel Core (Core 2 Duo, Core i5, etc.) or an Intel Xeon CPU, you will be using Apple's kernel (often called the vanilla kernel; it is mach_kernel). This kernel is already installed by default. If you have a different CPU (such as a Pentium D or an AMD), or your SL version is too old for your CPU (for example, i5's and i7's were not supported until 10.6.2), or you are just having issues, you will be using a different kernel.

3) To get the most help, you will have to be as specific as you possibly can and include screenshots of panics or other issues.

It has not been difficult helping you. :) I can totally sympathize with not knowing what is going on. Trust me, I had so many similar issues! Since I started hackintoshing last June, I've had about 35 installations (at least that many). It can be quite difficult, but being perseverant will get you through (which is exactly what you're doing right now). ;)

OK, thanks for your patience. I had to take a music break, now I am back. Wouldn't it be nice if I could get this thing done and get back online tonight? Keeping it positive!!!

Thanks for explaining what vanilla meant. I was online with someone with this board and he commented that vanilla was all he ever used with this board so I will stop worrying about voodoo kernels et al.

Although I am still thinking my System/Library/Extensions Folder may have mixed up files in it. I have reinstalled and upgraded so many times now, 10.6.0 turns into 10.6.6 turns into 10.6.8 turns once again into 10.6.0, and repeat... I wonder how many extensions versions have been left behind and how many are really needed?

One thing that worries me is that I have both an AppleHDA.kext and a voodooHDA.kext. Wouldn't that create conflict? remember I am booting in safe mode so that is still conflict going on. I also still cannot get ethernet/Internet working and that is so frustrating as I cant do any real work until I can get back online. If you need a fresh screen shot then I will reboot again and take a picture of what I get. I hate the thought of being locked out again but safe booting worked this time, it should work the next time as well.

If your are there now, can you tell me about the HDA with Voodoo and apple? I also think I was getting an IOFamily dependency conflict?

THanks.

Screen Shots: OK, guess I am still going through it tonight, sigh. I did my best to clear dulicates, etc. Now here is the current screen shot where it KPs. Looks like the voodooHDA I was mentioning. I guess if it already has AppleHDA it doent like voodooHDA? I will see if I can reboot safe and change that.

Screen Shots: OK, guess I am still going through it tonight, sigh. I did my best to clear dulicates, etc. Now here is the current screen shot where it KPs. Looks like the voodooHDA I was mentioning. I guess if it already has AppleHDA it doent like voodooHDA? I will see if I can reboot safe and change that.

ADDED: Sorry the pics are so blurry. The two are the same but the second is worse focused, not better. The good news, I removed VoodooHDA and it booted. Unfortunately there is no internet STILL!!!!! And, sound is grayed out. Sound I can live with for now, internet, Bad news, must get fixed.

I am running the 10.6.8 update right now. Since it is booting again, might as well update if I can.

ADDED: I am beat, will revisit this in the morning. I can boot again reliably, so that is great. But there is still no internet and there is still no sound. I tried the old reatekR1000SL.kext and m=a more modern RTL81xx.kext but nothing seems to work. Any ideas? I know it works because at one point, It did work.

Sound is a mystery too. Used to work great, now nothing, grayed out.

post-328514-0-20593300-1328071761_thumb.jpg

post-328514-0-57893700-1328072002_thumb.jpg

I found a discussion here: Topic Bug? Some kexts only load properly from /System/Library/Extensions/ It seems I am not crazy after all (that's a relief) ;-)

And here is all you ever wanted to know about KEXTS (but were afraid to ask) ;-)

For instance:

This has many implications for kexts, such as ... the ability to load during early boot. Kexts have strict security and location requirements that you need to follow for your kext to work
At this point I have done all I can do to look up missing extensions but just in case my stock system/lib/ext folder is messed up, I installed the 10.6.0 fresh to my RAID drive. I dont plan to boot on that drive as I dont remember how to do the setup for that, still have the extra folders and it used to be I would set a boot flag to the Raid drive from the Raid small Boot drive - better to walk before I can run in this case however ... Anyway, I did that so that now I will take this booted system also down to 10.6.0, hopefully again boot to it, then move my fresh Extensions folder from Raid to Gold Drive and continue updates back to 10.6.8. That could and should eliminate the problems I am having getting sound and ethernet working again on this board. Or at least, then I will know that what Apple things should be in the Sys/Lib/Ext folder will really be in there and when I have to replace a version after that then at least I know everything else is still where it should be (right now I dont).

I love that Apple article - so very helpful. :D

For your Internet, there is hope. You are talking about Ethernet, right? If you give me your vendor and device IDs I can get you a new kext. Download this UNIX utility, drag it onto your Desktop, and type:

sudo cp ~Desktop/lspci /usr/bin/lspci
[now you will enter your password; you don't see the password, but just type it and continue]
lspci -nn

and copy and past the output into a document and upload it here.

To fix the /Extra/Extensions issue, most likely all you need to do is rebuild the caches when you add a new kext. This can be done very easily by running Kext Utility after dragging the kext into /Extra/Extensions. Everything will be done automatically.

Not working. I dragged lspci to desktop. I put in sudo cp and dragged the lspci file onto terminal window for correct filepath. That left a space and I typed /usr/bin/lspci

Then, lspci -nn

The first time it asked for a password and I gave it. It said no access or some such. I quit terminal and started a new session, no such file or directory. The About THis Mac shows an Ethernet ID as 8168 but I assume you would trust one from terminal better. This is a Ga UD4p board (Gigabyte) and ethernet (yes I want internet) is built in to it.

From the About this Mac Ethernet:

Type: Ethernet Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x10ec

Device ID: 0x8168

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1458

Subsystem ID: 0xe000

Revision ID: 0x0003

Link Width: x1

BSD name: en0

Kext name: RealtekRTL81xx.kext

Version: 0.0.90

Wait...you can see your Ethernet in System Profiler??? That means your Internet problem is not kext related; if it were kext related your Ethernet would not show up at all.

Go to System Preferences and click the Network pane and see what shows up. Take a pic and upload it here.

Yes, there is a blinking yellow light at the jack on this mobo, should be steady green.

ADDED: I already renewed my lease, which is the only way I know to free this pref pane. Once in all this long overhaul I did stumble on getting it to 10.6.8 like it is now and the ethernet just worked. So I wasn't thinking anything about not having it set correctly. I am certainly going to try whatever you can suggest. THanks

post-328514-0-89042800-1328125017_thumb.jpg

post-328514-0-22855000-1328125286_thumb.jpg

Im IN !!!!!! HALLELUJAH!! You were right, the ethernet was installed properly, but the Network settings needed a reset. Yes, it just worked before, and yes, it was set to automatic for network selection so I thought it was good to go.

But nooooooo, I had to select a new location and THEN renew the DHCP lease and .. IT WORKS again.

OK not 100% better but sure happy I am back online. My Insanely mac page is telling me I do not have javascript enables, never saw that before, wonder what made that go away?

And, sound is still grayed out. I do use tutorials and getting sound working would be pretty important.

Much much thanks and heres hoping the sound will go as easy as the ethernet.

What a funny error...never got a JavaScript problem before. Try running Software Update.

Install this VoodooHDA package. it will remove any kexts that cause conflicts (AppleHDA and such) and installs Voodoo in its place. If not all of your inputs and outputs are working properly I can help you with that, too.

Sweeeet. Thanks very, very much. Sound has returned.

The (almost) last problem is that the DVD player has gotten very unstable. Not that I have a lot of time at the moment to watch DVDs but, I first noticed problems in my setup when the DVD player started quitting and DVD remastering programs were not reading correctly. I say this beascue it was nt consistent. Was thinking I had a bad drive but I think others had also complained with 10.6.8 DVD drivers.

One really critical challenge I still face is how to get Disk Warrior to be as useful to me as it once was. I know I can still run it from another disk but .. for the time being my backup disk is hosed and, I really need to get DW so it can boot on a DVD just like an apple install disk. I assume this can be done yes, to make DW on a disk so I can boot from it and repair my main drive disks? I know I used to run DW on my Hackintosh it but it always destroyed the boot blocks. I know I can just reinstall but as I have just shown, I loose confidence in doing that and I Would much rather take this learning curve I have just come through and set up a way to not get stuck like I was, ever, again.

Whew, thanks again.

Oh and ps, the javascript error I was getting on these insanely mac pages was the result of my updating Safari and it defaulting to not switching on java or javascript.

There is a patch for Disk Warrior that makes it more Hackintosh Friendly. It's around here somewhere.

If it's just for repair stuff it's a lot easier to keep a partition on your hard drive that has the Lion installer on it. Or the Snow Leopard install DVD restored (via Disk Utility) to it, whichever you prefer.

You can boot it with the same Chameleon configuration you are using to boot your main installation.