blind friendly website options?

n7zzt

7 posts in this topic

hello folks.

I recently returned to the site here and i have noticed a few things that may seem trivial to most of you, but are a severe inconvenience to me.

the biggest gotcha here is the site layout. looking in the web item rotor (OS X voiceover feature) there over 700 links just for the top level for this forum alone.

the second item noticed is the rich text editor isn't immediately visible (I have to scroll past it and come back to it.

so, I am wondering if there are any blind friendly items in the website themes folder under the user preferences page. so far, every one that I have chosen really hasn't changed anything for the better. perhaps I need to look further but so far, I haven't found anything that helps much.

suggestions?

Hi n7zzt, firstly I'm really sorry that our site isn't easily accessible for you. I'd really like to try and understand the problem: would you mind explaining to me how I can re-create the issue that you have? I assume I may need to run the same kind of software as you, would you mind pointing me in the right direction? Thanks, and sorry again for the inconvenience.

-Ed

• Like 1

Hi n7zzt, firstly I'm really sorry that our site isn't easily accessible for you. I'd really like to try and understand the problem: would you mind explaining to me how I can re-create the issue that you have? I assume I may need to run the same kind of software as you, would you mind pointing me in the right direction? Thanks, and sorry again for the inconvenience.

-Ed

well, all you need to do is turn on voiceover and turn off your screen and listen to how the site sounds. an overview of voiceover key commands will be a must in order to navigate around the screen in talking mode is a must.

I use the command+option+left arrow/right arrow to navigate as well as the command+option+U (web item rotor) to get into the right areas, or as close as I can). since I am totally blind, I suggest the best way to reproduce the navigation/presentation problem is to use the site in "blind mode" (monitor off and sound on). since I don't use windows, I have no idea how this site would be presented in a windows/jaws presentation.

my OS: OS X snow leopard 10.6.4. I ran into problems trying to update to 10.6.7 because my keyboard andsound are on USB and the 10.6.7 USB drivers are not compatible with this machine). if you want, I can record a screen capture with system audio to demonstrate the problem.

-eric

Hey Eric! Right, I've figured out how to get VoiceOver enabled (Cmd-F5) - it simply says to me "InsanelyMac HTML content forum frame" - and with all other pages it would just say this. I'd try to navigate using Ctrl-Alt-Shift and then the arrow keys but on all sites this was limited. I think it's more a case of I don't know how to navigate using the keyboard. Should I be doing it in the rendered page or using the View Source page? A screencast may help if you can record the keys you're pressing too (IIRC you can do that easily using ScreenFlow).

Hey Eric! Right, I've figured out how to get VoiceOver enabled (Cmd-F5) - it simply says to me "InsanelyMac HTML content forum frame" - and with all other pages it would just say this. I'd try to navigate using Ctrl-Alt-Shift and then the arrow keys but on all sites this was limited. I think it's more a case of I don't know how to navigate using the keyboard. Should I be doing it in the rendered page or using the View Source page? A screencast may help if you can record the keys you're pressing too (IIRC you can do that easily using ScreenFlow).

rendering the page is what I do. looking at the source is time consuming

I am not sure how to use screen flow. I need to read up on that one and post it here for you. the nav keys are the stated ctrl+option+left/right arrow

the web item rotor is ctrl+option+u and then use navigate arrows to switch from headers to links, etc.

it took me about an afternoon to get the hang of this and that was 3 years ago.there is also an online help center at ctrl+option+h and that will give yyou a learners guide and sections for the various commands/

I will work on the workflow and see about uploading it.

-eric

Hi Eric.

You're completely blind and running OS X on a PC?

That's impressive, how did you manage that? Unless you have the most compatible hardware in the world you must have had some help.

well, it wasn't easy. I had a bit of luck in acquiring an intel board from ASUS that closely matched what apple was using at the time that snow leopard was introduced. that and a copy of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], an nvidia 9800GT graphics card, 54 GB DDR2 pc-6400 ram, an audigy sound card and a bought from apple copy of snow leopard. the board uses the following specs:

Kext name: AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

that was the only custom kext I had to acquire. all the rest was included with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. installing was a breeze. back when I first put this machine together, I had about3% of my eyesight left. July of last year, I lost the rest (in fact, both eyes had to be physically removed). this presented some additional problems that I am working around. now I want to install OS X snow leopard on a Fujitsu Lifebook laptop. it uses the intel I845 chipset for sound and the ethernet and usb subsystems are lso of intel design. I just figured out how to generate a DSDT.dsl file but now have to figure out how to convert that to a proper DSDT file for use by OS X. a lot more reading to do.

In any case, I will not let blindness stop me, though i may require minimal visual assistance to get the install underway.

btw, the DSDT.dsl file was generated by an ubuntu package called FWTS (firmware test suite). it was a lot more strict than the previous DSDT generator packages from previous linux versions.

anyway, I hope I answered your question, though I may have gotten a bit chatty.

-eric

• Like 2