Intel HD 3000 and AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext gives loads of errors

Jimbolaia Jones

9 posts in this topic

Hi! I got a Samsung 700Z5A (also known as Chronos):

Intel Core i7 2675QM

8GB RAM

750GB HDD, 8GB SSD swap

Intel HD Graphics 3000

ATI Radeon HD 6750M (switchable graphics, automatic)

When I use the AppleIntelHD3000.kext or whatever the exact name was, nothing happens. As soon as I add the SNB kext, I see half the screen streched over the display (seeing the left part only), but I do get 1600x900, it does detect 512mb VRAM instead of just 64, but I can't see if it got QE/CI enabled.

Anyone got similar issues? I thought this was due to ESID problems, did the force workaround posted on this forum somewhere, no luck.

So I removed all AppleIntel-kexts, and added those who might be relevant (HDGraphics, HD3000, SNB). When I didn't have the SNB in, it kernel paniced once, then it started normally. When I put it back, I got the stretched screen.

This is however ONLY on the laptop display, using my Samsung 27" gives me a perfect picture.

I can also add that it never shows correct colors when this occurs. Sometimes, the whole screen is tinted red, sometimes green, sometimes blue. This also only happens on the laptop display.

Jim

I have specified the MacBookPro 8,1, doesn't help.

I can't turn off the ATI card in BIOS, as stated, this PC got automated switching.

But the fact that I get a (now) blue tinted desktop, half of it, shows that the drivers are doing something. But I can't figure out why they wont do exactly as they should :/

Well, I will figure out just what Samsung think of their complaining customers (noone likes the switching mechanism on the Chronos), going to flash to a new BIOS in a minute :)

Problem is, no wifi in OS X (Broadcom 43225, should be working, but aint. I think MBPs use 43224, so weird that it isn't possible to make work)

I'll get back to you with the BIOS and its changes. Maybe I can swap cards then.

Samsung doesn't like their customers, apparently.

Well.. Then it is the current problem... Tinted stretched desktop with the SNB kext loaded, 1024x768 without it.

Okay, update again!

I tried to remove my card (0x01168086) from the SNB kext, same thing happens, so apparently, it is the framebuffer itself that does this to my laptop, and not only the listing of my card in its info.plist.

EDIT: Hmm, it seems people are having more luck with SL than Lion, no posts on lion it seems.

I will download the MBP Early 2011 update and extract the kexts from there (10.6.7) and see what they do in Lion. Might work, who knows, I had to do the same in LEopard back in the days (fetch kext from Tiger to get Intel Wireless working on a Dell)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been having the same issue with lion, blue tinted half screen. I have been able to install SL and get a 1024X768 screen with normal colors. I would be satisfied with running SL if i could get the graphics and wifi to work. post back if you have any luck.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi! I got a Samsung 700Z5A (also known as Chronos):

Intel Core i7 2675QM

8GB RAM

750GB HDD, 8GB SSD swap

Intel HD Graphics 3000

ATI Radeon HD 6750M (switchable graphics, automatic)

When I use the AppleIntelHD3000.kext or whatever the exact name was, nothing happens. As soon as I add the SNB kext, I see half the screen streched over the display (seeing the left part only), but I do get 1600x900, it does detect 512mb VRAM instead of just 64, but I can't see if it got QE/CI enabled.

Anyone got similar issues? I thought this was due to ESID problems, did the force workaround posted on this forum somewhere, no luck.

So I removed all AppleIntel-kexts, and added those who might be relevant (HDGraphics, HD3000, SNB). When I didn't have the SNB in, it kernel paniced once, then it started normally. When I put it back, I got the stretched screen.

This is however ONLY on the laptop display, using my Samsung 27" gives me a perfect picture.

I can also add that it never shows correct colors when this occurs. Sometimes, the whole screen is tinted red, sometimes green, sometimes blue. This also only happens on the laptop display.

Jim

Dual link in your dsdt will fix the screen being stretched and give you the correct resolution.

http://legacy.tonyma...hp?f=15&t=28851 -this enables dual link.

or you can just use this dsdt http://www.insanelym...ttach_id=109515

also check out this thread. http://www.insanelym...howtopic=275925