10.6.8 on a Gigabyte - Intel motherboard

mac09hack

2 posts in this topic

Have any one here utilizing a Gigabyte- Intel based motherboard, successfully installed 10.6.8 completely working.

I build my Hack last year and have run Leopard and Snow Leopard up to 10.6.5, but I am hesitating to go with 10.6.8.

I have a GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard with an Intel i7 920 processor and the EVGA 9800GTX+ video card loaded with Kakewalk to 10.6.5. Is there a problem just running the 10.6.8 combo updater?

It's impossible to say, nobody knows how your installation is patched to work with your hardware. Anytime someone mentions "user friendly" stuff like multi/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or kakewalk all bets are off. It's your responsibility to know which modifications are in place and where. If you know, posting them here is one way to get specific information.

Find the 10.6.8 release thread in the new releases and updates section and read up.

The two general issues are:

AppleHDA is now like in Lion - your old patches will no longer work

Boot process halting at "PCI Configuration Begin" - solved for many users by DSDT edit and/or adding npci=0x02000 to kernel flags.

9800 GTX+ device ID 0x0612 should continue to work with unmodified nvidia drivers and GraphicsEnabler=y.