Acer Travelmate 2413nwlmi

wfmk

6 posts in this topic

Who'd have thought it? Got this cheap laptop working on 10.4.5 to near perfection. Here are the specs

Intel Celeron-M 370

15.4inch TFT WXGA

910GML Express chipset

Even the function keys work for volume and brightness. :) The only 'hack' I used was the paperclip 'dongle' trick to avoid the blue screen of nothingness!

Now the only problem is my Broadcom BCM94318 wireless. Do you think there is any way I can get that working?

Also, if I did a fresh install of the latest JaS release, would this give me any more hope with the wireless?

I'm a total noob who has used the search function prior to posting, so please be patient!

Edit: Got it working with this excellent advice from the user known as Dense:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=11614&hl=

Everything that I have tried on it now works. This could be the ideal budget Hackintosh lappy. I bought it a few months back for £400, and now I know why it didn't come bundled with Windows!!! :D

no idea what you mean!

Just moved my mouse to the right of the screen and nothing unusual happened, so I guess the answer is no :)

All I have to do now is learn how to use a Mac! I've been using Linux and Windows for years, so I guess the learning curve won't be that steep :D

no idea what you mean!

Just moved my mouse to the right of the screen and nothing unusual happened, so I guess the answer is no :P

All I have to do now is learn how to use a Mac! I've been using Linux and Windows for years, so I guess the learning curve won't be that steep :whistle:

thanks. some people reported that the hackintoshes with the dongles actually act as if they had another monitor hooked up (but turned off), so your mouse would disappear (appear on the second, non existing monitor) whenever you hit the right hand side of the screen

don't worry about the learning curve, it's really easy, esp. if you have a unix background

Think I've just about learned the basics. The only strange thing so far was the wierd way the mac installs software!

I cannot recommend this laptop highly enough for Hac os X on the cheap. I have a gig of ram which probably helps speed things up. MS Office is a little slower than in Windows/Crossover, but I guess that's down to Rosetta.

The wireless tweak to enable AirPort was actually much, much easier than getting wireless working with ndiswrapper on Linux :P