Please help with dsdt for dell T7500 dual xeon x5667

TJRIVERA

12 posts in this topic

I have a Dell T7500 dual xeon x5667 and 48 gig of ecc ram.

I can only boot 1 cpu with vanilla kernel and i have to use legacy kernel 10.6.4 in order to boot with 2 cpus.

When i try booting with 2 cpus with vanilla kernel i get panic ( Should have 8 threads but only found 7)

Any help Please. I have searched but no luck.

Here is the send_me file of my dsdt.

send_me.zip

Thank you so much for your help. and sorry about the double post.

I searched the TSCsync and cant find how to apply this patch.

Also it seems this is for laptops but i have a desktop.

If this patch is what i need then i just need to know how to apply it.

Thank You

I honestly don't know anything about it other than it sounds like something that could help with your issue. Hence the "no promises".

There is also a kernel extension, VoodooTSCSync.kext. I remember seeing modified versions of it around as well. I can't say anything else, dive in and see what you can find. I don't know if it would even work on a Xeon CPU.

There might be better or at least easier ways to do the same thing today - the tsc sync patch for the Voodoo Kernel was announced in 2008.

Are you trying to boot Snow leopard or Lion? I have same system you can't boot it without the legacy kernel on snow leopard because those processors are not supported on mac Pros, But legacy can run it. I am running Lion but I had to pull the riser out and run one processor also. We may have to wait for a lion legacy kernel.. There may be a DSDT fix for this but i am still searching. good luck let me know If you find anything I will do the same. What GPU do you run?

Hi Apacalypse.

I am running snow leo with both cpus but with legacy kernel 10.6.4

I can run Lion but i have to pull the riser with the second processor out.

For GPU i use Nvidia GTX 260. (PciRoot=4 graphicsenabler=y) Works nice.

For Ram i type (-force64)

I also have to type (busratio=22) to boot.

Question.

If the processors are not supported. Why can i boot vanilla with one cpu?

Doesn't that mean that the processors are supported?

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

They are supported but there are many counter measures agains hackintosh to make it not work. It is just a mater of time. I have read others with dual processor machine withouts legacy kernel. I know you want to go to lion but we just have to wait for a legacy at least until I figure out the DSDT edit. Do you have an edited DSDT?

Do you have two quad-core Xeons? The reason why it doesn't work is exactly what it said: it only found 7 threads (a.k.a. 7 cores), thus the reason why it would boot with one, which would have the required number (most likely 4?). The legacy_kernel would obviously not work the same way as Apple's.

Not off the top of my head. Have you checked in the BIOS and in Windows to make sure all cores can be detected?

I find it extremely odd that OS X does not detect all the cores. What you might try is removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (in System/Library/Extensions) and placing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (google it) in /Extra/Extensions.

• 5 months later...

Hello! I aslo have a T7500 with Dual Quad Xeon´s and dual FX4800 Cards, but are struggling with booting with both CPU´s. Any luck with this? Do some of you have any guide on the inst procedure for either 10.6.x or 10.7.x with choice of kexts etc?

I got it booting OK with 10.7.2, but no newer updates etc and only with ONE cpu..... Any idea on how I can get it to boot with 2 CPU´s either in 10.6.x or 10.7.x or maybe in 10.8.x Mountain Lion? I would really LOVE to get this StarShip rockin´ :D

Cheers, //Zztony

• 2 weeks later...

The scene is very quiet when it comes to dual quad-core xeons is my impression. mine works with both processors in the sockets but only once after many boot fails, like a jackpot. When lucky the darwin keeps loading to the end and a stable osx rises and shines without issues.

Read my posts on the subject. DSDT is recognized. Can't say anything more than that.