Kernel Panic when using more than 2GB Ram

Neo Toxin

8 posts in this topic

I have 4GB DDR3, however if I dont boot with "maxmem=2048" then its only a matter of time before I will kernel panic due to memory errors. I have ran tests on the ram, it all came back clean. I am booting with "arch=i386 -force64 busratio=16" Im not sure what else to do.

I have been searching for days on this issue and I cant find anything that is relevant. I will link to pictures of the KP.

System Specs in Signature.

I have installed the latest Chimera boot loader, and I have the ACPI & PCI Family kexts from 10.6.7

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/v...106_214444.jpg

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/v...106_214449.jpg

Ok, following the link above I tried booting with "cpus=1". I ran a memory test once I booted back up, and I almost thought It was working because the test made it about 75% before KP, wheres as without cpus=1 it would only get about 25% done before a KP.

However long story short, im still in the same boat. I still cannot use my full 4GB.

Come on, I cant be the only one to ever have this issue. At least a RTFM post with a link to something that should have been obvious. I have been searching for 2 weeks and am still coming up empty handed.

All I can find are people who cant use more then 4GB ram, I cant use more than 2GB. Not being able to use 4GB doesn't make much sense thats kind of why im lost.

I even tried booting with 3GB, same problem. I originally didn't think it would be that big of a deal, until I decided I wanted to be able to run Parallels.

Find Lion Cache Cleaner (works fine on Leo and Snow) with google and use it to clean out all your caches, it's the last section in the main Window. Tick all the boxes and let it do its thing, if it appears to have stopped just leave it and do something else, it can take a while.

Then boot in 32-bit kernel and drivers mode (enter arch=i386 -f on the Chameleon boot prompt) do something that fills up RAM and see if you get the same panic.

If you don't, then there's a driver on your hack that doesn't work right in 64-bit mode.

Ok, so I did exactly what you said, I even made sure that my "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" didn't conflict with anything. I booted back up and went to run a memory test using an app called "remember" which is what I used before. I unfortunately did end up in a kernel panic...sort of. I had a KP just like I always did before except the computer didn't freeze, I could still use the computer and whenever a window would move over the white KP error the words would be erased. I have never had that happen before.

I then tried again with 3GB of ram just to test, and again I had a KP but this time me being able to continue using the computer only lasted a few seconds before everything locked up like normal.

I will continue to try different things, the worst that could happen is I have to reformat, which is no big deal, installing on this PC is easy thanks to Nawcoms boot CD. But in the mean time do you have any more ideas as to what could be causing this issue? Its a real pain, especially since I cant really explain it because I shouldn't have an issue with 4GB of ram.

Also just so everyone knows, the computer thats having the issue is Desktop 1 in my sig. Desktop 2 isn't actually running 100% yet so I havent tested it for the same issue, I will try to do that tonight though.

EDIT: Desktop 2 had a Kernel Panic as well.

• 2 months later...