Should I install Chameleon2 RC5?

mbrubaker

6 posts in this topic

My new Snow Leopard 10.6 install on my AMD system (Athlon II 250 on ECS IC780M-A) won't boot on its own. It will boot if I click on the volume it was installed to from the boot screen of the OS86ModCD. I think that to correct the problem I need to run the Chameleon2 RC5 on the volume to which SL is installed. Am I correct?

I maintain an install guide over here: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649.0.html

Currently the attached version is 2.1 svn r1684. Feel free to link to it :-)

I think that to correct the problem I need to run the Chameleon2 RC5 on the volume to which SL is installed.

Chameleon 2.0 RC5 was superseded by Chameleon 2.0 final and now Chameleon 2.1.

"RC" means "Release Candidate", like a test version before the final release.

Thanks to all for the help suggestions. My son who is an Apple Genius was here over the weekend and he tried to install the Chameleon suggested above. No luck with a boot. Fortunately, we did make a backup image. I am thinking that since the SL drive boots with the help of the ModCD, I should try installing the version of Chameleon that the ModCD uses (Chameleon v 2.0 RC5r726). My questions is how can I get rid of the 2.1....svn Chameleon install?

What happens exactly when you boot from hard drive?

The problem is not the boot loader itself, it's more likely that you didn't configure it right, or at all. For starters, you need at least fakesmc.kext in /Extra/Extensions to boot OS X on a PC. Your "Apple Genius" doesn't know that. :D

Examine the mod CD and find out which settings and kernel extensions it uses that makes it work on your hardware. Kernel extensions are on the ram disk image, preboot.dmg. Don't just copy everything blindly from the mod CD to your Chameleon installation, boot CDs are meant to work on a variety of hardware and it will have configuration settings and files that aren't needed on yours. Some settings might even deliberately prevent some things from working (usually graphics acceleration, sound) in order to ensure a painless boot on the widest range of hardware possible.

Visit the VoodooProjects forum and read the Chameleon documentation to learn more.