boot problem from HDD(on Sata - Intel D945GNTL mobo)

boo50

5 posts in this topic

first i have installed jas 10.4.7 (jas10.4.6 install dvd + 10.4.7 update) on my Pata HDD.

i buy new SATA HDD and install same jas 10.4.6 on it.

and i can't boot directly from Sata drive - only with install DVD.

sure i set partition with osX as active.

just "_" blinking.....and nothing happen

from IDE HDD i still can boot ...

but can't directly from SATA...

Did u pick the "Sata Patch" during installation?

There is still lot of trouble booting from SATA hdds. I have the same problem with my P5ND2-SLI with Intel D 830 and nVidia SATA.

If you boot from the install DVD. Dont press anything and it will boot from the hard drive (Hopefully). Thats the only way i got mine to boot, but it still gets stuck at the apple screen with gear and "NO" sign on the apple.

Did u pick the "Sata Patch" during installation?

You are not alone. I built an osx86 box for a buddy based on the Intel D945GNTLR mobo and we have the same issue. Can't boot directly to SATA drive which had osx86 install. Only if there was a boot DVD in the DVD drive.

Weird thing was that later I installed the OSX86 install on IDE and Win XP on the SATA and I set boot order for IDE first and SATA second and the bootup would rather boot to WinXP rather than osx86.

i have solve my problem.

what am i do:

first i try to install fresh jas 10.4.7, i have no weighty motive, but i don't like this install dvd. smthng wrong with it, install going slow.

after that i unplag my IDE drive, delete partitions on my sata drive with Special Fdisk (hiren's boot cd). and mark label "AF".

also i carefully set all bios settings for the drives. (boot, sata, ide mode, etc.)

i take old Jas 10.4.6 DVD.

boot from it, create 2 partitions with disk utility. (1-system, 2-data) - first time i create partitions with Special Fdisk

install went fine(over 15 min at all), first boot, repair permissions, eject DVD, reboot and VIOLA - boot fine from Sata drive. no problems, twice faster in comparison with my old IDE drive.

after that i plug in back my Ide drive, boot again and transfer all settings from old install.

i suppose what problems can be with

1) bios settings (i'll try go get a camera and post photos of my settings for Intel D945GNTL)

2) install DVD.

3) don't forget to repair permissions after first boot.

good luck......