{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

Thanks for your quick response. I've deleted this app. Yes I'm using smbios 8.1 (your version). I've already tried several different fresh installs in different ways (MBR, GPT, with windows, without windows, vanilla Lion, Iatkos L1, Snow Leo,...). But I always get this connectors issue :-( I also tried using your kexts but no luck, it still hangs on a ramdom basis.

As for your dsdt patch, I did apply it to my dsdt and it compiled without errors but when I boot up using it first I get a white screen, then it goes black and just after it goes to sleep. Maybe the key will be to edit my dsdt. What are the changes you made to connectors? I read that you have HD 3000 id 0x0116 and Geforce GT 525M like I do. But I've only got VGA/HDMI (no DVI), maybe I should remove the line referring to DVI in my dsdt. Could you help me? According to ioregistryexplorer, my port number is 0x0, av-signal-type is 00 00 00 00 and connector-type is 02 00 00 00.

Thanks for your quick response. I've deleted this app. Yes I'm using smbios 8.1 (your version). I've already tried several different fresh installs in different ways (MBR, GPT, with windows, without windows, vanilla Lion, Iatkos L1, Snow Leo,...). But I always get this connectors issue :-( I also tried using your kexts but no luck, it still hangs on a ramdom basis.

As for your dsdt patch, I did apply it to my dsdt and it compiled without errors but when I boot up using it first I get a white screen, then it goes black and just after it goes to sleep. Maybe the key will be to edit my dsdt. What are the changes you made to connectors? I read that you have HD 3000 id 0x0116 and Geforce GT 525M like I do. But I've only got VGA/HDMI (no DVI), maybe I should remove the line referring to DVI in my dsdt. Could you help me? According to ioregistryexplorer, my port number is 0x0, av-signal-type is 00 00 00 00 and connector-type is 02 00 00 00.

see this is the topic talks about this problem

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=259705

but this problem appear only on pc not on notebook

as the first connector listed on vinalla kext is lvds ( laptop screen )

so normally we should dont have this problem

so try update bios if you dont updated it and dont use dsdt

and try to install retial lion version 10.7.2 and try to use smbios 8.2

and see if the problem is still here

about edited framebuffer kext

this is config i did

0000000: 0102 0200 1007 0000 1007 0000 ............

000000c: 0503 0000 0200 0000 3000 0000 ........0... LVDS

0000018: 0602 0000 0010 0000 0900 0000 ............ VGA

0000024: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 ............ NONE

0000030: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 ............ NONE

and this config dont cause proble, to me

only vga need to make small work to get picture on it with detect display

Thanks again for your support and all the information you provided. :)

This hanging problem also happens on certain laptops (http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=259&t=35167&sid=27244130898d0f6c99b49f31f7718edc). I did try to edit my connectors by following bcc9's instructions but the only connector that allowed me to boot up was the first one listed (i.e. 0503 0000 0200 0000 3000 0000) as everytime I deleted it testing other combinations it would lead to a black screen. But unfortunately the problem remained the same even after I deleted the others connectors to leave this one alone. Since yesterday, I'm testing the stock AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext from 10.7.0 and it seems that I have much less freezes. I believe that maybe there is something to edit in this kext to stop freezes but not the connectors table as this one is strictly identical to the one from 10.7.2 (same number of connectors). I had installed Lion retail and upgraded to 10.7.2 but this version made my laptop unusable (too many freezes). I had also tried all smbios, but only 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 worked otherwise I would get black screen with all the others. My current bios is A08 but I also had the same issues as when using A07.

Edit: I've just found these modded n5110 bios: http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-inspi...0-bios-mod.html but I don't dare to try them. Anyone did it before?

Thanks again for your support and all the information you provided. :)

This hanging problem also happens on certain laptops (http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=259&t=35167&sid=27244130898d0f6c99b49f31f7718edc). I did try to edit my connectors by following bcc9's instructions but the only connector that allowed me to boot up was the first one listed (i.e. 0503 0000 0200 0000 3000 0000) as everytime I deleted it testing other combinations it would lead to a black screen. But unfortunately the problem remained the same even after I deleted the others connectors to leave this one alone. Since yesterday, I'm testing the stock AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext from 10.7.0 and it seems that I have much less freezes. I believe that maybe there is something to edit in this kext to stop freezes but not the connectors table as this one is strictly identical to the one from 10.7.2 (same number of connectors). I had installed Lion retail and upgraded to 10.7.2 but this version made my laptop unusable (too many freezes). I had also tried all smbios, but only 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 worked otherwise I would get black screen with all the others. My current bios is A08 but I also had the same issues as when using A07.

Edit: I've just found these modded n5110 bios: http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-inspi...0-bios-mod.html but I don't dare to try them. Anyone did it before?

to me i have no cause for this hanging to be done :rolleyes: sorry

you have same hardware so you should get it work like ours performance

there are a09 bios try it

this modded bios for nvidia card overclocking it give me nvidia card bios separated we can use it on future for nvidia card

Finally!!! no more panics on VoodooHDA!!!

AppleHDA from 10.6.2 + legacy kext + dsdt

All works fine :D:D:D

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1770374

good

to me no panic with voodoo but want to use applehda

i will try first to use data linked on 10.7.2 kext

if not working will use 10.6.2 next

edit used directly 10.6.2 :D

waiting for next dell driver to solve problems with audio in

added update for guide

ok good luck

Thanks. I flashed my bios from GT-525M to GT-550M 0.83v but although my nvidia graphics are now underclocked and the temperature dropped by 25° C, there is no way to completely disable nvidia Optimus. I think my best chance is to edit my dsdt accordingly. I read the link suggested by hisho but as I have no disabling function in my dsdt, I have no idea how I could edit it. I attached my dsdt (from bios A09) but I'm not even sure if this is possible with my chipset (HM67).

I even tried 10.7.3 (11D16) update but although the artifacts I was experiencing in 10.7.2 disappeared, I still have the same intermittent issue (freezes every 5 seconds when loading any app) so I went back to 10.7.1 which is the most stable version for me.

first of all, thank you very much for the hard work that you are putting in...

i have managed to install os x lion (10.7.2) with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]...

as you have said, the installation itself takes graphics driver.. also, it installs ethernet driver... then, i updated the battery percentage, processor power, camera, card reader, usb 3.0 (all one by one.. install--reboot--install)... but, ethernet adapter was lost right after i installed the very first kext i.e. battery percentage... so i thought i screwed something up and did complete installation again... and this time again, graphics and ethernet were installed.. so now i install camera kext first.. same thing again !! ethernet disappeared right after that !!

also, i have not been able to install any of the audio drivers successfully...

can you please shed some light on the ethernet adapter problem ???

ps: btw, i disabled wifi-bluetooth since i was unable to install os x when it was switched on...

now, that i have confirmed that everything except wifi works in the hackintosh, i want to dual boot it with windows 7... and there are many guides out there but from whichever i have tried, they dont seem to work... so can you please advise as which one to follow ??

what is the name of your wifi card

if you want dual boot

partion your HDD to three parts

first for windows and setup windows on it

second for mac an setup mac on it but before setup mac use ubuntu live cd and use gparted program to make partion mac as boot partion

then setup mac now you have dual boot

• Like 1

what is the name of your wifi card

if you want dual boot

partion your HDD to three parts

first for windows and setup windows on it

second for mac an setup mac on it but before setup mac use ubuntu live cd and use gparted program to make partion mac as boot partion

then setup mac now you have dual boot

thank you for the quick reply...

WiFi is Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230.. Dell official driver download page for 64bit windows 7 is http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/...leId=2731100266

i will try doing triple boot.. and get back asap..

no driver for wifi

buy usb one

yes.. no drives for wifi yet.. using wired connection right now..

the problem with installing windows first and then os x and then ubuntu is when installing os x, it does not allow to install on drive for os x when erazed and formatted as HFS+...

if os x is installed first then windows then ubuntu and then used gptsync, os x does not load from the grub loader while ubuntu and windows starts proper.. (though immedietly after installing ubuntu and before gptsync, windows gives a fatal error and does not boot).. meanwhile, from the installation usb of os x, it starts proper !!!

any suggestions are appreciated :)

if you want triple boot

partion HDD on 4 parts

first set up on it windows

second use gparted to make second partion as boot

then setup ubuntu on it and dont forget to select to install bootloader of ubuntu on second part

then after finish make third part as boot and setup on it mac and install chameleon on it

now you have triple boot with chamleon theme

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I have an Inspiron N5110 i7, Nvidia 1GB, Atheros wifi. I've installed Lion 10.7.2 and almost everything works, except for sleep, wifi (i've applied the atheros dsdt patch). I'm interested if someone can provide me a dsdt.aml, because i have KP with the a09 bios.

thank you

(i've attached the dsdt.aml extracted with dsdt editor)

Hello.

I have an Inspiron N5110 i7, Nvidia 1GB, Atheros wifi. I've installed Lion 10.7.2 and almost everything works, except for sleep, wifi (i've applied the atheros dsdt patch). I'm interested if someone can provide me a dsdt.aml, because i have KP with the a09 bios.

thank you

(i've attached the dsdt.aml extracted with dsdt editor)

you can use my dsdt on topic