{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

well i have El Capitan loaded via clover on my Dell BUT i don't have applehda working NOR do i have ps2 properly working. I have no bluetooth either. USB3 and all other stuff works but no audio ps2 or bluetooth, my broadcom bluetooth is proving a pain to enable. If anyone can help that be wonderful.

well i have El Capitan loaded via clover on my Dell BUT i don't have applehda working NOR do i have ps2 properly working. I have no bluetooth either. USB3 and all other stuff works but no audio ps2 or bluetooth, my broadcom bluetooth is proving a pain to enable. If anyone can help that be wonderful.

Here are my Kext + EFI mode from guide's Mohamed Khairy

http://www.mediafire.com/download/756jbf9n7o6ln3k/EFI-Kenjiloc.zip

I deleted somes Mohamed Khairy's config on: DSDT.aml and config.plist in EFI folder.

AppleHDA.kext Dell N5110 I7 is working good on 10.11

My DSDT help my laptop recognize BCM wifi card on 10.11

USB 3.0, Ethernet, touchpad is working good too :)

post-1238220-0-24298800-1452690015_thumb.png

• Like 1

oh great kenjiloc

doubt, why you have mentioned I7 for AppleHDA? It is for sound, then there should not be any thing to do with processor or there is? I am new so not so much aware. I am running Yosemite so I should be able to use this AppleHDA for El-Capitan, have you done same way? I have v10.11.2 with me.

Please can we have a small brief guide to install El Capitan from your behalf...It will be awesome

I have done something which might help people like me who are trying for first time in shifting between OSX versions easier.

How to get /Users dir as a whole to separate partition.

1) Follow method given in first post that is to install Yosemite or El capitan or Mavericks

2) After installation completes and before creating user account, boot again from Flash memory alias USB Pendrive.

3) It will open window to install OS again but you need to open Terminal from top menu bar "Utilities" drop down

4) Run command:-(do it carefully)

$ditto -V /Volumes/<<partition where you have installed OSX in my case, OSX_ROOT>>/Users /Volumes/<<name of partition in my case OSX_HOME>>/Users    //I have made partitions of 75 GB size for OSX_ROOT and 45 GB for OSX_HOME
$chroot /Volumes/OSX_ROOT
$sudo rm -rf /Users
$sudo ln -s -f /Volumes/OSX_ROOT/Users /Users

5) Reboot from HD and now create first User account..Any number of account you make will be preserved unless you don't format this partition and keep making link for new installation done above.

Does anyone managed to have sleep working with El Capitan?

I have done anything else working but sleep.

I think the problem might be AppleACPIPlarform.kext, but i'm not shure of it.

Also Turbo Boost not working(but not such a big problem)

I'm using Chameleon as bootloader with DSDT. 

I have also USB 3.0 ports working using kext(GenericUSBXHCI.kext in /S/L/E) from Kenjiloc

N.B.

Shutdown and Reboot wasn't working before update to 10.11.2, but after Update working just fine(only problem on shutdown USB ports remained Powered)

If anyone has solution to sleep i would be thankfull.

Also i have a very good VoodooPS2Controller.kext that activates  trackpad as mac original trackpad for users who don't have working the kext included in the guide. I will add a link later.

Thanks

To turn turbo boost on, did you flash modified BIOS provided on http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/271573-guide-dell-inspiron-n5110/?p=2061802

It provide you feature in BIOS. Don't do it after installation otherwise it will break boot. I don't know how to repair it.

Why Chameleon? Why not Clover? Clover is future. @benmacfreak reported that facetime,etc were not working so he moved to Clover.

Please upload it. On my yosemite, Trackpad is so sensitive that even without touching it by just hovering close to it, I can move cursor..painful, using mouse for the time being.

Link to  VoodooPS2Controller:

http://www.filedropper.com/voodoops2controllerkext-2016-01-15

I have facetime, appstore,imessages working on chameleon(enoch 2773) with macbook pro 8,1 SMBios.

I had Yosemite and all was working except turbo boost, even sleep was working, also with Chameleon bootloader.

Do you think it will break the boot even if i have  Chameleon? I mean if i flash that Bios?

If anyone is interested i can make a guide for chameleon installing, but first it's needed to repair the sleep so it can be a fully functional guide.

Thank you @ezee for the tip about Turbo Boost

P.S.

I have used a DSDT for i7 provided by kenjiloc and it would use multiplier x28 on my i5 getting it to 2.77ghz getting score of 4666 in geekbench 3 (32bit) with i5 DSDT i get 4090 score. The onlything it was that power management wasn't working.so always 2.77ghz  60*C idle(not good for cpu)

I am not sure..you can try this way - create Installer USB with Chameleon BL. As we are flashing BIOS, it will remove entry from F12 boot menu. After flashing, you can boot through USB BL (Clover does allow this way). and then you may have to do PostInstall again.

BUT It is very risky, you might get kernel msgs(try resetting BIOS). Please take User dir backup. I did face this trouble, but since I had Ubuntu on external drive with El Capitan loaded on VMware, I was able to make new Installer when required.

You will need another USB flash drive to flash mod. BIOS unless If you have Windows.

@ptcptc well both one that is given by @kenjiloc and you are working..and not able to figure out difference b/w the two.
I am trying clover..post installation, issues are:-
-Brightness control turn off display at 0 don't wake up on pressing Fn+F5.
-system profiler showing nothing for card reader but reader is working.
-audio not working, please @kenjiloc..tell us how did you perform postinstall steps...I copied your kexts including applehda inside postinstall folder and inside 10.11 followed by executing postinstall and copying kexts to s/l/e and aml.zlibs to applehda and running kext utility.

UPDATE: I got AppleHDA working somehow..I will post it..likely because of AppleHDA provided inside "Kext run on 10.11" and copying aml.zlib. @benmacfreak try it...still 2 things which are not working

UPDATE2: Error App Store login- AMD-Action:authenticate:SP

@ptcptc well both one that is given by @kenjiloc and you are working..and not able to figure out difference b/w the two.

I am trying clover..post installation, issues are:-

-Brightness control turn off display at 0 don't wake up on pressing Fn+F5.

-system profiler showing nothing for card reader but reader is working.

-audio not working, please @kenjiloc..tell us how did you perform postinstall steps...I copied your kexts including applehda inside postinstall folder and inside 10.11 followed by executing postinstall and copying kexts to s/l/e and aml.zlibs to applehda and running kext utility.

UPDATE: I got AppleHDA working somehow..I will post it..likely because of AppleHDA provided inside "Kext run on 10.11" and copying aml.zlib. @benmacfreak try it...still 2 things which are not working

UPDATE2: Error App Store login- AMD-Action:authenticate:SP

Hi ezee,

1. About AppleHDA kext, Dell N5110 uses "IDT 92HD87B1/3" sound card,

2. Mohamed Khairy wrote some code in his config.plist file, so you have to replace aml.zlib in applehda.kext. If you use my AppleHDA.kext, you dont need replace aml.zlib in it. Just copy my config.plist to your EFI folder on MAC,then install my AppleHDA.kext by Kext Utility and restart your mac, audio will working (Note: remember replace your <key>SerialNumber</key> in config.plist )

3. Mohamed Khairy's code to path AppleHDA, but I deleted it in my config.plist file.

<dict>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>hBnUEQ==</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AD1984 -> 92HD87B1/3</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleHDA</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>0XYdEQ==</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>eG1sLnps</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>xml.zlib -> aml.zlib</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>YW1sLnps</data>
			</dict> 

4. About Bright Screen, I dont know how to fix it, I think because code in config.plist

<dict>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>AQIEABAHAAAQBwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAHAAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABAYAAAAEAAAJAAAA</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>HDMI+VGA+Brightness</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>AQIDABITAAASEwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAABgIAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAIAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA</data>
			</dict>
  • Like 1

How to use my folder: http://www.mediafire...FI-Kenjiloc.zip

1. When create USB: flow Mohamed Khairy' guide, but use my EFI folder for USB, but REMEMBER replace your SSDT, DSDT and SerialNumber.

2. After install OS finish, boot and login the first time into your OS X, do POST INSTALL flow guide, cope EFI from your USB to POST Install folder, custom kexts, and remember change 

<key>InjectKexts</key>

<string>No</string>
in your config.plist on EFI folder before you run PostInstall.sh
3. For already finish install Mac OS and can boot anytime but Audio is not working:

Open terminal and run:
sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
sudo mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

Then open Finder, you will see EFI folder, open config.plist on this folder and remove lines (if it have)

<dict>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>hBnUEQ==</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AD1984 -> 92HD87B1/3</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>0XYdEQ==</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>eG1sLnps</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>xml.zlib -> aml.zlib</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>YW1sLnps</data>
			</dict> 

Then install my AppleHDA.kext by Kextt Utinity, then restart your Mac, good luck :)

• Like 1

Everything is working fine for El Capitan..Thanks a lot everyone

Few small queries:-

1) Can I bypass Clover boot menu and directly boot into default OS that is El Capitan?

2) How to remove DVD caret indicator to eject tray from menubar?

3) Brightness get reset to value 2 on boot, somewhere hard-coded? Not an issue though.. @benmacfreak, if you still facing problem, let me know.

I really thank you all

1) Can I bypass Clover boot menu and directly boot into default OS that is El Capitan?

3) Brightness get reset to value 2 on boot, somewhere hard-coded? Not an issue though.. @benmacfreak, if you still facing problem, let me know.

I really thank you all

For 2) Hold command key and drag eject on desktop from menu bar(it will remove it)!

For 1) You have to set TimeOut 1 second and will only show for 1 second and boot up

And can you please help with a guide how to flash the hidden menu BIOS you mentioned?

Thank You

Hi there, I've got a small question: In clover directory we've EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi. As I think it uses for NVRAM emulation. BUT with this file NVRAM reset after reboot. If you delete this file all works fine. So, that's the question: for what purposes this file are there?

I really thank you all

1) you should set timeout to 1 or 0 and set your default bool volume to LABLE of volume, where OS X is installed.

2) ...
3) maybe it can be fixed by deleting EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi from clover directory

• Like 1

And can you please help with a guide how to flash the hidden menu BIOS you mentioned?

Ok so to perform flashing of modified BIOS, which could be problematic if it goes wrong is here:-

1) pendrive formatted MBR+FAT16

2) get img from http://www.chtaube.eu/computers/freedos/bootable-usb/

3) extract img to pendrive...verify files must be there

4) make a dir in PD and extract AFUDOS.exe from "Dell 15R UEFI.zip"/amiflash.zip/aptio/afudos.zip and bios into that folder. //APTIO in my case is the BIOS developer, check yours it shows in BIOS header.

5) Boot, select without driver option, cd to dir, run AFUDOS.ext <mod BIOS name> /P /N and reboot after finished, ensure your laptop battery is charged enough.

• Like 1

To people who have successfully installed El Capitan 10.11 on Dell N5110, can you guys please do an instruction?

I have tried following every step on the post #1 for El Capitan, but it doesn't work. My computer cannot boot into the OSX Installer with the USB I made.

Thanks 

To people who have successfully installed El Capitan 10.11 on Dell N5110, can you guys please do an instruction?

I have tried following every step on the post #1 for El Capitan, but it doesn't work. My computer cannot boot into the OSX Installer with the USB I made.

Thanks 

a few posts earlier you can see something like new guide. but i'm not sure, that all will work fine. 

Thanks 

Have you unlocked UEFI?

Clover method: http://www.eladnava.com/install-os-x-10-11-el-capitan-on-hackintosh-vanilla/follow this guide > copy kexts provided above by Kenjiloc to mounted EFI partition

Thanks 

I will make a quick guide for el capitan with chameleon:

1)Download macpwn for el capitan(vanilla) search on google

2)Download 10.11 image(15A284) http://downloads.hackintosh.computer/temp/2016-01-25/1636186642/EL-Capitan-10.11-Version-www.Hackintosh.Computer.tar.gz

3)Drag the 10.11 image into applacation folder

4) Open macpwn: click change install location - select your usb drive(first you have to format it in gpt macosx journaled file system)

5) Click customize and select chameleon

6) Boot Usb drive

7) install osx

8) boot into installed OSX with usb drive

9) Conect external mouse and keyboard

10) download Chameleon Enoch 2773 and install to HDD where osx is installed

11)Download DSDT and SSDT from guide(1st page) and put them in /extra folder

12) download attached zip

13) use kextutility to install all attached kexts

14)copy content of chameleon folder into /extra

15) delete the plist with "kernel"in its name from /extra

16)download chameleon wizzard and chose smbios for macbook pro 8,1 or 8,2

17) reboot and boot from hdd

all shoud work except sleep

if you update to 10.10.2/10.10.3

you have to install again voodoops2controller.kext

http://www.filedropper.com/elcapitan2

• Like 1

I will make a quick guide for el capitan with chameleon:

1)Download macpwn for el capitan(vanilla) search on google

2)Download 10.11 image(15A284) http://downloads.hackintosh.computer/temp/2016-01-25/1636186642/EL-Capitan-10.11-Version-www.Hackintosh.Computer.tar.gz

3)Drag the 10.11 image into applacation folder

4) Open macpwn: click change install location - select your usb drive(first you have to format it in gpt macosx journaled file system)

5) Click customize and select chameleon

6) Boot Usb drive

7) install osx

8) boot into installed OSX with usb drive

9) Conect external mouse and keyboard

10) download Chameleon Enoch 2773 and install to HDD where osx is installed

11)Download DSDT and SSDT from guide(1st page) and put them in /extra folder

12) download attached zip

13) use kextutility to install all attached kexts

14)copy content of chameleon folder into /extra

15) delete the plist with "kernel"in its name from /extra

16)download chameleon wizzard and chose smbios for macbook pro 8,1 or 8,2

17) reboot and boot from hdd

all shoud work except sleep

if you update to 10.10.2/10.10.3

you have to install again voodoops2controller.kext

http://www.filedropper.com/elcapitan2

So, and what about clover? As I know Clover is much more better than Chameleon.

It need to be made a guide with clover by someone who installed with clover

I have talked about clover method and few minor issues..rest is all fine..

Update1: I have upgraded to 10.11.3 after preparing a USB flash drive with clover B/L installer. chosen check-boxes as shown in the article link I have shared in my previous post followed by copying Kexts from my prepared EFI directory, DSDT,SSDT-4 depending on your system config and config.plist shared by Kenjiloc. that's it..removed all clover entries and added again using prepared flash drive...Postinstall done so simple

Can somebody tell me why is Clover better? I have the following setup

Inspiron N5110 (2430M)

500GB HDD (GPT) (3 Partition , first windows, 2nd mac, third for Data+TimeMachine)

ALPS TouchPoint

Chameleon 2.2 svn2283

8GB RAM (Dual Channel)

Front Camera

USB (All incl. 3.0)

eSATA (Not tested but USB plugged in WORKS)

Everything works!!

I have installed Yosmitie and i have everything working from TouchPad Scroll, Full Sleep, Brightness Control,HW Sensors. Its to-date perfect setup for me. I never had to made DSDT or SSDT,  i used whats available. Just made a TimeMachine backup and now i transffered that to external HD, i can reformat this drive and install again the same backup and everything works flawlessly fine.

What else would someone need? Why bother for Clover? Whats so special about it? (Sorry , i didnt had time to go through all of the threads - i am short on time, my apologizes) 

Anyone could tell me what i am missing? (PS: I have the stable Mac Yosmitie 10.10.5 , never crashed, never hung, never heat up and i am using almost 20-25 apps at a single time)

Looking forward.!!