ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 10.4.7 Screen is just gradients.

43 posts in this topic

HOW DID YOU DID IT?????

I was using 10.4.6 here and had that annoying problem... tomorrow I'll install 10.4.4

Now X.4.6... with different woes. QE/CI supported BUT choppy (NForce3?). Open GL is working. I'm playing with Callisto and APGGart configurations. I like using X.4.7 much better though.

I too have an ATI 9800 Pro. My card is an AIW though. I have been having the same problems that most have been having in this thread. Currently I am running 10.4.7 JaS .iso repack with 10.4.5 Radeon kexts and Callisto 006 on an AMD system with a VIA mobo chipset. Interestingly enough I got the funny colors directly after install.

Removing the ATI kexts when booting in safe mode allowed me to boot normally. Adding the 10.4.5 kexts seem to have no effect other than I didn't have to boot in safe mode when using them. Using Callisto 006 (003 works too) allows my card to be recognized as a ATI Radeon 9800 NH. I do not have QE or CI support. Editing the 9700 kext with my device id(0x4e48) has had no effect. If I enable the CallistoFB in the ATIRadeon9700GA.bundle, I get the funny colors again. If I enable the IOFrameBuffer, there is no change. If I try the Koverg patch, the system pauses on my verbose screen. I have not tried to manually patch the 9700 kext just yet. Manual patching shouldn't be necessary as the Koverg patch appears to patch the kext fine( but still dosent work). Using the AGPGart kext has had no effect because my card is still recognized as a PCI card. I get the same dependency errors with com.apple.iokit.iopcifamily, com.apple.iokit.iographicsfamily, and com.apple.iokit.iondrvsupport with the Callisto and 9700 kexts. Replacing the OpenGL, Quartz, and QuartzCore frameworks with ones from 10.4.5 didn't work. I also tried to enable Q2dE via the com.apple.windowserver.plist except it isnt where it is supposed to be( I think somewhere along the lines I deleted it for something and it never came back).

Does anyone know exactly which version of frameworks Callisto and the 9700 kexts need to function properly? Has anyone been able to get their card recognized as AGP using the AGPGart?

I'm really not trying to have to install an older version of OSX to get my card working or to have to flash my gfx card just yet. I havent thought of forcing the 16bit GFX mode, but I will try that to see what results I get.

Hopefully we can get the card that should be supported natively( according to the wiki) working.

-Sedrick

Just after install replaced the default SSE3 emulation mach_kernel w/minimum patched one, rebooted. Ran cpuid_patches.txt. Hard reset. Booted into another X and droped in edited Callisto + required edits to 9700.kexts. Rebooted and entered welcome screen, the keyboard set up screen - user creation - and finally entered desktop with 9700.kext loaded, resolutions selectable and chess works! itunes sounds good w/onboard audio, but visualizer is slower then having no frame buffer at all.

Native X.4.6 working great with Callisto(003fixed) and AGPGArt! I'm satisfied with no QE/CI for now. The are other minor complaints like Mac thinks I have double the memory, and "IOKit Wait Quiet () time out" slowing up boot times. Xbench is mid 80's with 3000+ Venice clocked at 2.19GHz. No mouse tearing, just flickering sometimes over open windows or animations (i'll install one of those mouse catchers).

NOTE: X.4.7 (for me) runs 12-15 Xbench points faster with no CE/CI or OpenGL, very buttery, and looks clean and crisp with 0 mouse artifacts. I've have x.4.7 booting now from 2 partitions, fresh install x.4.6, and XP.

I didn't understood what you did..

You installed a 10.4.6 and then make a mininum patch on the kernel then rebooted? And with this you could get qe and ci?

What patch is this? I'm using that Jas 10.4.6 DVD install, which comes with a lot of patchs

I used the JaS X.4.7 ISO to only install X.4.6 (no patches but AMD [for me], but I'm not using this mach_kernel anyway so I could probably install without any patch[?]). OK, now I've run the X.4.6 install and rebooted. Before I booted into this new X install, I Booted into a previous install of X and:

Edited my new X install 9700.kext files with ATI 9800 ID and CallistoFB. (Follow Callisto instructions.)

Placed edited Callisto (w/ATI 9800 ID) into the new X Extensions folder. (Follow Callisto instructions.)

Placed at root level a custom minimally patched mach_kernel (for AMD SSE3 CPU) to boot from, and edited com.apple.boot.plist to boot from this mach_kernel (mach_kernel patching instructions).

Deleted new X install Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext.

Checked and fixed permissions for new X install.

Rebooted into new X with -s (single user) to run cpuid_patches.txt from AMD_Enabler.

Rebooted.

Then X.4.6 Loads into welcome and setup! After login I have QE/CI supported in System Profiler, the 9700.kext is loaded as well as Callisto, but the system is choppy with QE/CI supported and mouse tearing. Placed AGPGart.kext. Rebooted. Chess works! Dock magnification works! No mouse tearing! No more QE/CI :'(

Edit: If Callisto is removed from the steps above X is still quick without any acceleration enabled. X.4.7 runs faster (12-15 XBench points) and more "buttery" in same system but with no graphics acceleration support, unless I want to see those beautiful gradients again.

I installed 10.4.4 and then upgraded to 10.4.7 with jas update. Everything works now.

And it's fast! :P The only problem is that I don't have sound in quake4 and was not able to make callisto work... I have qe,ci but when I change resolution my screen goes black..

Think I have to mess with that EDID thing.. The strange thing it that without ATIRadeon9700 kext callisto work without any modification...

And with them and changing something like IOFramebuffer to CallistoFB, I have that problem with black screen

Are you having that gradient problem with your radeon? if so i recommend you download a 10.4.4 or a 10.4.5 installation and try again ;) it works for me

I was able to use [10.4.4 w/ 10.4.5 myzar update install] + [10.4.6 myzar pdate v3] + [10.4.7 Semjaza + SecUpdate004 update] to get a current 10.4.7 working with CI/QE native on my AMD sys with a 9800ProAIW. Callisto006 removed QE/CI but was the latest I could use to provide resolution changes and correct card model. Using the CallistoFB brought QE/CI back (although a tad slower than without it). Still no AGP detection just yet. :whistle:

-Sedrick

Yes i have

Dell Demision 8300 P4 2.4 (seen as 3.6) 1.5 MB RAM ATI9800PRO & MAC OSX 10.4.5 now i have my Windows XP box as a Slave, Core Image, Quartz Extrem and OpenGL working off the back

but when i boot up i get Vesa 16mb 2.0 but thats it

I tried installing the Callisto_008 drivers but i just lost my QE, CI and OpenGL but thats it nothing else changed

I would love nothing more than to get my card working so i can play my games its the only thing keeping me pulling my hair cause everything else works

• 11 months later...