ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 10.4.7 Screen is just gradients.

43 posts in this topic

I did an install of 10.4.7 and with booting with -x I can get to the Desktop and use the system, as I am typing this in Camino right now. But if I boot normally, I just just gradients of colors. I can move the mouse and see the outline of things and click them but, its like psychedelic colors.

Not sure what to do to fix. I did read that the 9700 kext on 10.4.7 might need to be replaced with ones from earlier dvd like 10.4.5. I do have the DVD and tried to find the kext with Pacifist but I dont know where they are on the DVD.

Can anyone help?

Jason

I did an install of 10.4.7 and ...if I boot normally, I just just gradients of colors. I can move the mouse and see the outline of things and click them but, its like psychedelic colors.

Not sure what to do to fix. I did read that the 9700 kext on 10.4.7 might need to be replaced with ones from earlier dvd like 10.4.5. I do have the DVD and tried to find the kext with Pacifist but I dont know where they are on the DVD.

You didn't happen to select other video packages in Customize when you did the 10.4.7 installation?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=4499

Use Pacifist to open /System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg then look under System -> Library -> Extensions for the kexts.

Yeah, i thought that, but without that option i did not have the 9700 kext. So I tryed it...

I also tryed to install the kexts from apple update to 10.4.5 for intel, which one I got from apple's website... But with these I got the same error, the grandient colors...

Will this radeon x1600 option work for my 9600 pro?

thanks

Yeah, i thought that, but without that option i did not have the 9700 kext.

Will this radeon x1600 option work for my 9600 pro?

I didn't choose the radeon mobility option and I got the 9700 kexts when I installed 10.4.6 JaS. I chose only the 10.4.6 update, the Intel SSE3 and the wireless option.

No, the radeon x1600 kexts will not work with the 9600 pro.

thanks for the help Rammjet... I think I removed the ATI kexts or something like that.. I open that essentials.pkg with pacifist and installed on my osx86, but i coninued having the gradients

So I reseted and forced 16 bit color with "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x16@75" and it almosy worked, i have Core Image but I don't have Quartz Extreme ;)

And colors are not very nice, everything looks fuzzle..

Can this be related to my LCD monitor? Or this is a problem with my card model? it`s a powercolor 9550, patched to powercolor 9600 pro with bios mod

Yes, but now you wont have QE, CI and OpenGL... You need the ATI9700 kext to have these...

What's your computer?

I have a PowerColor 9600 pro and a gigabyte p4vm800m and a LCD monitor, using analog VGA plug, and I don`t know why I`m having this problem with 9700 kexts.. maybe we have some common hardware that is causing this problem

I had the same "gradients" problem with 9800 Pro (0x4e48)(R350 Core) using 10.4.7, but after installing Callisto (003) with required edits to 10.4.7 9700 extensions I'm able to boot in safe mode with the card recognized but I can't change the resolution or frequency from System Preferences without getting a black screen, and still no QE/CI - (normal booting now looks like the frequency has gone crazy). I've read here and around the net that many 9800 users have good results using 9700 extensions from 10.4.4 or 10.4.5 to get their 9800 working properly. I never had them so I'm unable to confirm this.

I'm going to test without AGPGart installed to see if that will help. My crazy frequency issue may be due to my cheap a$$ circa 1997 CRT, because I can't find it's EDID to hard code it for Callisto. (I gave away my nice CRT to a family member when I got my iBookG4).

Good Luck! I'm only wasting 2 more nights on this issue before I ebay it and get an X1600 card.

This is very strange indeed.. at least I'm not the only person who have this problem...

What's the trend of your card? Powercolor? If we can find a pattern on our systems... because many peaple can have these cards working...

It's a built by ATI card (I believe). My other problem with it though is that it has 256MB mem and OSX only recognizes 128MB? I'm thinking that flashing it to 9800XT (even though the core isn't R360) may change everything but I'm not desperate enough yet to try. I really think it's a 10.4.6/10.4.7 issue.

Mine is Built by ATI card too. I have a ecs nforce3a nforce3 250 motherboard Amd Sempron 3100+. 9800 Pro.

I think ill go ahead and try and install the kext from 10.4.5 as well as having the callisto driver. But I cannot get to About This Mac screen to even change Quartz Extreme.

Use Applications/Utilities/System Profiler.app to see if your QE/CI is supported (same thing as "About this Mac"). You can't enable QE/CI that way though, it's an extension issue. "About this Mac" was crashing for me to till I built and booted with a re-patched mach_kernel. My AMD 64 (Venice) has SSE3 and had trouble with the JaS 10.4.7 mach_kernel that enabled SSE3 emulation (didn't need emulation). After that the system was lightning fast and 0 crashes. QE/CI - OpenGL acceleration is my last problem. My XBench 1.3 scores are in the mid 90's already.

Here's the info on how to build a test mach_kernel: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=18929

I've read (great advice) that it's best to have 2 installations of OSX in case you screw one up, that's what I'm doing and it has come in handy countless times already. I haven't had to do any reinstalling because of a mistake; just boot into the working X to repair the other.

I have a intel chipset and using the 10.4.5 kexts and still have the gradient problem...

But you can try this: force it to boot with 16bit color, it will gives you CI but no QE...

I'll try now copy all Extensions folder from 10.4.5 install into my system... maybe it's not only ATI* that have problems on 10.4.6..

oh, so your problem is even worse... but 16bit is not very nice anyway.. here all colors appear weird, and the system is slow as hell... The only advantage is that I could play chess.app and Tank-o-matic... Wingnut and Quake4 only showed a nice black screen .......

I will download 10.4.5 and try to install it.. maybe next month i can get this to work..

I removed Callisto and now have 9700 extensions from 10.4.5 loading with AGPGart! But... 9800 is not yet recognized in System Profiler, minor mouse tearing has started, and still no QE/CI or OpenGL.

And... ATIRadeon9700.kext has Dependency Errors: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily, com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport, com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamliy.

System is usable without any graphics extensions for internet, iTunes, Adobe CS2 and general stuff. If I run into a solution before then I'll report back. Thanks for posting this topic!

I flashed my bios too.. but with a 9600 pro bios... but I think that buying a ATI was the worse thing I ever did... Now that I destroyed my osx86 system I'm using my Linux install, and i discovered that ati drivers for linux are just horrible... 3x slower than drivers for windows...

And now I cannot play! :'(

my only hope is that 10.4.4 installation..

Please, anyone else having this damn problem with gradients???????? Anybody with a "<= 10.4.5" osx86 have any problem with radeon 9600 or similar?