PC GTX 470 on 2008 Mac Pro

jose angel

4 posts in this topic

Hello everybody ;)

I have a mac pro 2008 with 8800 gt and nvidia gtx 470 ( asus ) , that cards are installed, with a bootcamp ( ios leopard and windows 7 ).

I going to update the ios to lion, and i need the steps to do for work with two cards in windows 7 and lion with bootcamp.

Now leopard see the card gtx 470 but doesn't work, only with 8800.

Can i do that....?

Sorry for my english xD

There are no drivers for Leopard that will work with Fermi architecture video cards.

On Snow Leopard you must install the Quadro 4000 drivers from nvidia, the Snow Leopard nvidia drivers have no Fermi architecture support.

The GTX 470 should work with the nvidia drivers that ship with Lion though.

I'm not sure how this works on a Mac, of course both cards will work fine while you're running Windows but I don't know how to use a non-EFI ROM video card (your GTX 470) on a real Mac.

I guess you're supposed to use an injector like ATYinit or NVEnabler?

The problem with that solution is that the only Fermi architecture card available for Mac is the Quadro 4000. From what little I've read on the subject, Mac and PC cards must be the same model (or from the same family but very, very similar) for crossflashing to work.

There's also the thing with the Mac video cards having a larger flash ROM in order to hold both EFI and "PC" BIOS style data. Most PC cards EPROM simply don't have the required space.

To use a PC video card (in OS X) on a Mac all you need to do is to inject the same data in the same way that you would on a Hackintosh and then it should work, at least as a secondary card anyway. The display connected to the card will remain blank until the video drivers are loaded because the card doesn't have EFI support.