G5 Mod Firewire trouble - am i missing something?

telegenecaster

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I just purchased one of the front panel i/o cables from alohacab. I haven't bought all my pc components yet, but I plan to get a socket 1155 atx mobo. Problem is, I haven't seen firewire pins on any of the newer mobos. And from what I understand, all components of the 18 pin front panel need to be connected in order to complete the circuit.

Solutions? A friend told me that putting a 2 pin jumper on the end of the firewire connector would solve it. Is that true? What would you guys do?

-Gene

Hm, maybe I don't fully understand yet because I don't have any of the components.. but I thought the firewire connector from the 18 pin thing is supposed to connect to specific firewire pins on the mobo? Or do they all just go into that 24 pin atx connector thing?

Hi guys,

I just purchased one of the front panel i/o cables from alohacab. I haven't bought all my pc components yet, but I plan to get a socket 1155 atx mobo. Problem is, I haven't seen firewire pins on any of the newer mobos. And from what I understand, all components of the 18 pin front panel need to be connected in order to complete the circuit.

Solutions? A friend told me that putting a 2 pin jumper on the end of the firewire connector would solve it. Is that true? What would you guys do?

-Gene

Nope, I dont have FW, and with it completely unconnected, it powered on, and USB worked as did LED. But couldnt hold power to turn off. So, the wire that goes into the fw header connector, that effectively goes to 2 pins (think its ground) I connected to USB ground and now it all works perfectly. Except obviously USB.