How to Install Retail OS X 10.6 "Snow" and OS X 10.7 "Lion" under VMware ESXi 5

MSoK

171 posts in this topic

Thanks.... But I cannot see the device in Disk Utility either, that's the point.

In Disk Utility I can only see the USB installer disk, and a small 1.36 GB (RAM) disk, but I cannot see my 40GB vmdk.

My vmdk is thick provisioned, lazy zeroed SCSI (0:0) attached to the LSI Logic controller, if that matters.

My Guest OS in ESXi5 is set to 'Max OS X 10.7 (64-bit)'.

The vmdk is unpartitioned, just a blank, empty disk. I'd have expected to see at least the device in Disk Utility,

but I cannot see any sign of it in Disk Utility. It's like Lion does not see my SCSI bus or any devices attached to it.

From the "Mac OS X Utilities" screen I dropped into the Terminal and did a 'diskutil list'.

I can see 13 disks: My USB installer disk 'Max OS X Install ESD', a smaller disk 'Mac OS X Base System',

and lots (11) of tiny disks with sizes between 500KB and 6MB (I guess the installer created them).

But I cannot see the vmdk, not even the blank device... Again, it feels like Lion does not recognize the

SCSI device or anything attached to it.

I must be missing something very basic in the configuration of my ESXi machine since apparently noboy else

(except Mike a couple of weeks ago) is running into this...

(Edited my original post)

I have also tried to put a GPT/HPFS+ partition onto the vmdk (using gparted in another VM). I believe I can see this

partition in EFI, but Lion still does not show it, neither in Disk Utility, nor in diskutil from the Terminal.

Switching to a Lion(32-bit) VM does not help either...

Actually, just to make sure: I am not running my ESXi on Apple hardware! I am running this on a regular Intel-CPU PC.

I had thought that ESXi should virtualize the hardware. Just to make sure that this is not the problem...

Workstation runs inside another OS like Windows or Linux.

You first boot up your main OS, and then you run Workstation inside of this as a regular application.

ESXi is a bare metal hypervisor. You boot your machine up into a minimal OS-like layer. But the

only thing you can pretty much do inside this layer is run virtual machines. Also, on the machine itself

you only have a very simple, text/shell based UI.

You'd probably use ESXi in a server environment, but it should be faster and more efficient because the VM

is closer to the hardware, and use Workstation on your normal workstation. You can use the host machine

for other tasks, but the VMs are somewhat slower and less efficient because you have another OS layer in

between.

These are the high level differences. Hope this actually answers your question (or were you asking about details

during the installation?)

Thanks.... But I cannot see the device in Disk Utility either, that's the point. In Disk Utility I can only see the USB installer disk, and a small 1.36 GB (RAM) disk, but I cannot see my 40GB vmdk. My vmdk is thick provisioned, lazy zeroed SCSI (0:0) attached to the LSI Logic controller, if that matters. My Guest OS in ESXi5 is set to 'Max OS X 10.7 (64-bit)'. The vmdk is unpartitioned, just a blank, empty disk. I'd have expected to see at least the device in Disk Utility, but I cannot see any sign of it in Disk Utility. It's like Lion does not see my SCSI bus or any devices attached to it. From the "Mac OS X Utilities" screen I dropped into the Terminal and did a 'diskutil list'. I can see 13 disks: My USB installer disk 'Max OS X Install ESD', a smaller disk 'Mac OS X Base System', and lots (11) of tiny disks with sizes between 500KB and 6MB (I guess the installer created them). But I cannot see the vmdk, not even the blank device... Again, it feels like Lion does not recognize the SCSI device or anything attached to it. I must be missing something very basic in the configuration of my ESXi machine since apparently noboy else (except Mike a couple of weeks ago) is running into this... (Edited my original post) I have also tried to put a GPT/HPFS+ partition onto the vmdk (using gparted in another VM). I believe I can see this partition in EFI, but Lion still does not show it, neither in Disk Utility, nor in diskutil from the Terminal. Switching to a Lion(32-bit) VM does not help either... Actually, just to make sure: I am not running my ESXi on Apple hardware! I am running this on a regular Intel-CPU PC. I had thought that ESXi should virtualize the hardware. Just to make sure that this is not the problem...

Can you post your VMX file from the datastore please? I also assume you have run the unlocker on the ESXi host.

Donk, thanks... Yes, I did the unlocker magic using unlock_all_v102.

(Sorry for dumping the vmx inline. Is there a proper way to attach a file to the post?

I do not see anything like 'attache file' in this little editor...)

.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "8"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
hpet0.present = "TRUE"
nvram = "Mac OS.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
powerType.powerOff = "soft"
powerType.powerOn = "hard"
powerType.suspend = "hard"
powerType.reset = "soft"
displayName = "Mac OS"
extendedConfigFile = "Mac OS.vmxf"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.sharedBus = "none"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "2048"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "Mac OS.vmdk"
scsi0:0.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.networkName = "VM Network"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
chipset.onlineStandby = "FALSE"
smc.present = "TRUE"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
firmware = "efi"
guestOS = "darwin11-64"
uuid.location = "56 4d e5 ad eb da 89 3a-44 a2 89 6c f7 81 16 9f"
uuid.bios = "56 4d e5 ad eb da 89 3a-44 a2 89 6c f7 81 16 9f"
vc.uuid = "52 a6 24 b0 1e 9c 24 d7-80 ff 2f ec 83 ba 41 33"
snapshot.action = "keep"
sched.cpu.min = "0"
sched.cpu.units = "mhz"
sched.cpu.shares = "normal"
sched.mem.min = "0"
sched.mem.shares = "normal"
svga.autodetect = "TRUE"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:81:16:9f"
vmci0.id = "-142535009"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
replay.supported = "FALSE"
sched.swap.derivedName = "/vmfs/volumes/4e2f1b1e-13531248-44a6-00248c0d5253/Mac OS/Mac OS-851039ba.vswp"
replay.filename = ""
scsi0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "160"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "34"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "35"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
hostCPUID.0 = "0000000d756e65476c65746e49656e69"
hostCPUID.1 = "0001067a000408000408e3fdbfebfbff"
hostCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"
guestCPUID.0 = "0000000d756e65476c65746e49656e69"
guestCPUID.1 = "0001067a00020800840822091febfbff"
guestCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"
userCPUID.0 = "0000000d756e65476c65746e49656e69"
userCPUID.1 = "0001067a00040800040822091febfbff"
userCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"
evcCompatibilityMode = "FALSE"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "33554432"
usb:1.speed = "2"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:1.port = "1"
usb:1.parent = "-1"
bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"
tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"
numvcpus = "2"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "2"
sched.cpu.affinity = "all"
sched.scsi0:0.shares = "normal"
sched.scsi0:0.throughputCap = "off"
scsi0.sasWWID = "50 05 05 6d eb da 89 30"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:0.deviceType = "hid"
usb:0.port = "0"
usb:0.parent = "-1"
usb.autoConnect.device0 = "path:1/0"
scsi1.present = "FALSE"
scsi1:0.present = "FALSE"
scsi0:1.present = "FALSE"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"
ide1:0.present = "FALSE"

Donk, thanks... Yes, I did the unlocker magic using unlock_all_v102. (Sorry for dumping the vmx inline. Is there a proper way to attach a file to the post? I do not see anything like 'attache file' in this little editor...)

Click more reply options and you get a new window and can upload files, which is the preferred method.

As for the VMX I can't see anything wrong with it. Bit stumped! Is it worth just deleting the guest and trying it again?

Thanks... Ah, under 'More Reply Options'.... Sorry for dumping the vmx...

I have looked at another vmx... The only real difference I could find is that my USB is attached on the host side,

but in the other vmx the installer USB was apparently attached on the client side. No idea, though, why this

could possibly make a difference.

I have also found another web site describing the installation

http://tickett.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/mac-os-x-lion-on-esxi-5/

In there it says 'The virtual disk wasn’t listed' - that's what I am observing,

but this gets fixed by doing some diskutil magic (diskutil eraseVolume jhfs+ "OSX" /dev/disk0).

Unfortunately /dev/disk0 is taken up by my installer disk.

This is completely far fetched: is there any possibility that my installer disk on /dev/disk0 is

shadowing the SCSI disk? Is there any way to make the installer disk show up as /dev/disk1 or so?

I know, this sounds absurd, but I am just grasping at straws...

I'm still trying to make this work, but I still cannot see my attached vmdks in the Lion installer.

I managed to install Lion to an attached USB disk, this I can see in the installer. But I cannot install

to a vmdk.

Could anyone of you please send a working .vmx for ESXi5?

I.e. a .vmx for which you were able to install Lion on ESXi5...

Thanks

Pete

Actually, I managed to install Lion on an external USB drive. It is running, I have installed the vmware tools

using the out-of-the-box darwin.iso (is that the one I should use???) and it is booting ok.

However, going into "System Information" I cannot see the attached LsiLogic SCSI adapter. I'd have expected to see it

as some device (probably PCI device), but it's not there. That is certainly the reason why I cannot see the vmdks either.

Could one of you confirm that you can see your SCSI adapters under "System Information", and if so, could one of you

please send me the .vmx for that virtual machine?

Thanks

Actually, I managed to install Lion on an external USB drive. It is running, I have installed the vmware tools

using the out-of-the-box darwin.iso (is that the one I should use???) and it is booting ok.

However, going into "System Information" I cannot see the attached LsiLogic SCSI adapter. I'd have expected to see it

as some device (probably PCI device), but it's not there. That is certainly the reason why I cannot see the vmdks either.

Could one of you confirm that you can see your SCSI adapters under "System Information", and if so, could one of you

please send me the .vmx for that virtual machine?

Thanks

I will on Monday. We had a power failure in the office and so everything powered off until we restore the systems on Monday (UK time).

Ah.... found it....

I recently downloaded the retail version of Lion from the App Store, which actually is version 10.7.2.

By digging further I found that I have to replace AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext to make it work...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=270140

After replacing the out-of-the-box kext with the one mentioned in the thread above I can now see the vmdk

and the DVD drive attached to the SCSI adapter. The rest is easy (I hope): just restore the image from my

USB drive over to the vmdk.

The only outstanding issue is that the Lion UI feels very sluggish in my VM,

even after installing the vmware tools. All my other Windows or Linux VMs are perfectly fine,

but the Lion UI response is pretty slow.

Should I use some other darwin.iso instead of the one that comes with ESXi5?

Pete

You'd probably use ESXi in a server environment, but it should be faster and more efficient because the VM

is closer to the hardware, and use Workstation on your normal workstation....

I was initially quite excited to have this running on ESXi, but I've come across a problem in which some basic functionality is not working which really removes the value of this for me. Specifically, on Snow Leopard and Lion, I can't get Firefox > 3.6 or Google Chrome to display Java applets inside a browser, and I'm pretty convinced it's an issue that is only seen on ESXi VMs.

Specifically, see this thread here:

The summary is that while the browsers work and display most webpages properly, any java applets in the browser is not displayed. If I look at the system error log, the OS is complaining about invalid pixels and other calls to openGL that are failing, right at the time the applet would have been displayed. I'm guessing that the java applet plug in for OS X for Snow Leo and Lion is currently making calls that only the native MAC HW will accept. But since all other graphics (and the rest of the webpage) is working OK, I was hoping that there could be some kind of a fix for this..

At this point I'd even settle for just hearing that other people are seeing the same thing. If you're running Lion on ESXi, if you install Google Chrome (or firefox 8), do you see the same thing? Google "java applet missile command" (or any other page that happens to have a java applet -- that just happens to be the one I use as a reference test...) and I bet the page will display correctly on Safari, but will not display on Firefox 8 or Google Chrome. Heck -- even Apple's own browser is lenient enough to display properly on a not-officially-supported ESXi VM.... but Firefox and Google Chrome won't. :(

You'll need to have Java installed first, as Lion doesn't install it by default any longer.

Any ideas?

I was initially quite excited to have this running on ESXi, but I've come across a problem in which some basic functionality is not working which really removes the value of this for me. Specifically, on Snow Leopard and Lion, I can't get Firefox > 3.6 or Google Chrome to display Java applets inside a browser, and I'm pretty convinced it's an issue that is only seen on ESXi VMs.

Specifically, see this thread here:

The summary is that while the browsers work and display most webpages properly, any java applets in the browser is not displayed. If I look at the system error log, the OS is complaining about invalid pixels and other calls to openGL that are failing, right at the time the applet would have been displayed. I'm guessing that the java applet plug in for OS X for Snow Leo and Lion is currently making calls that only the native MAC HW will accept. But since all other graphics (and the rest of the webpage) is working OK, I was hoping that there could be some kind of a fix for this..

At this point I'd even settle for just hearing that other people are seeing the same thing. If you're running Lion on ESXi, if you install Google Chrome (or firefox 8), do you see the same thing? Google "java applet missile command" (or any other page that happens to have a java applet -- that just happens to be the one I use as a reference test...) and I bet the page will display correctly on Safari, but will not display on Firefox 8 or Google Chrome. Heck -- even Apple's own browser is lenient enough to display properly on a not-officially-supported ESXi VM.... but Firefox and Google Chrome won't. :(

You'll need to have Java installed first, as Lion doesn't install it by default any longer.

Any ideas?

There is no hardware or acceleration available on virtual environments for OS X. I have run into this problem on several installations in the past whenever I have run both snow leopard or lion on hardware w/o Open GL support. It even happens when you use Remote Desktop on systems with QE/CI support. I feel the Workstation/ESXi use of OS X is limited in that aspect and makes it very useful for server environments but is very lacking when you try to use it as a workstation to do anything that requires even minimal video hardware resources. I feel it still is fairly functional for running OS X exclusive software and tasks such development and file management/backups but I would not expect to be as functional as dedicate installations until the hardware acceleration issue is worked up.

On the other hand, I am very pleased with my Lion server ESXi install. It allows native time machine support, profiles and the VPN setup in lion server is crazy easy when compared with Windows Server 2008 R2. Unfortunately, the file sharing changes on Lion Server really messed up it's use on mixed environments (i.e. linux htpc boxes).

I would also love to see hardware acceleration on virtual os x environments but this has not happened to date.

• Like 1

There is no hardware or acceleration available on virtual environments for OS X. I have run into this problem on several installations in the past whenever I have run both snow leopard or lion on hardware w/o Open GL support. It even happens when you use Remote Desktop on systems with QE/CI support. I feel the Workstation/ESXi use of OS X is limited in that aspect and makes it very useful for server environments but is very lacking when you try to use it as a workstation to do anything that requires even minimal video hardware resources. I feel it still is fairly functional for running OS X exclusive software and tasks such development and file management/backups but I would not expect to be as functional as dedicate installations until the hardware acceleration issue is worked up.

On the other hand, I am very pleased with my Lion server ESXi install. It allows native time machine support, profiles and the VPN setup in lion server is crazy easy when compared with Windows Server 2008 R2. Unfortunately, the file sharing changes on Lion Server really messed up it's use on mixed environments (i.e. linux htpc boxes).

I would also love to see hardware acceleration on virtual os x environments but this has not happened to date.

Yeah. It's unfortunate, because even Safari displays the applet, so their own java plug in must somehow not utilize the h/w acceleration, or they get around it some other way. But Firefox (if greater than 3.6) and Chrome's usage of the plugin somehow ends up being dependent on h/w acceleration.

Obviously without an officially supported graphics adapter on a real rig, I wouldn't expect good performance. But I'd be happy to see the applets display correctly even if the performance was 'slow' i.e. rendered in a software simulator. That's pretty much what is happening anyway for all the stuff that IS working, so I don't see why we couldn't get there for java plugins too. :(

Sounds like something for Zenith's next display driver project.... which I just invented for him. Where's the beta?

You first boot up your main OS, and then you run Workstation inside of this as a regular application.

ESXi is a bare metal hypervisor. You boot your machine up into a minimal OS-like layer. But the

only thing you can pretty much do inside this layer is run virtual machines. Also, on the machine itself

you only have a very simple, text/shell based UI.

is closer to the hardware, and use Workstation on your normal workstation. You can use the host machine

for other tasks, but the VMs are somewhat slower and less efficient because you have another OS layer in

between.

These are the high level differences. Hope this actually answers your question (or were you asking about details

during the installation?)

No, thats great.

Thanks the explanation.

I thought I might share my latest experiences with you folks.

Getting Lion 10.7.2 installed on ESXi 5 from scratch actually turned out into a chicken and egg problem,

and I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this.

The issue is that the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext that comes in 10.7.2 cannot be used from ESXi5.

With this out-of-the-box kext you are not able to mount a vmdk or dvd drive in

your virtual machine. You need another kext from a previous version to mount these drives.

But... what if the only thing you have is a 10.7.2 DVD or installer image you just bought from the app store?

How do you get the older kext into the latest installer image? With the out-of-the-box 10.7.2. kext you cannot install (or so it seems to me...)

Here is what I did to get around it:

- start with a 10.7.2 installer image (e.g. downloaded from the app store) and extract the installer dmg

- create a firtual machine with a vmdk for the ultimate target, but you'll not be able to use it at first

- mount the target disk and installer image on an external USB disk drive

that USB disk apparently is recognized by vanilla Lion 10.7.2

- boot into the installer on the USB drive and install Lion onto your USB drive.

You'll need about 5GB for that, unfortunately a wimpy 4GB USB stick is too small

- copy an AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext from some previous installation (see link above)

into your USB drive and reboot.

- After this reboot you are now able to see the vmdk inside your vm

- Finally "carbon copy clone" from your usb partition onto the final vmdk partition

I tried to do this with "disk utility" but this never worked

- Now you have a functioning 10.7.2 on your vmdk, ready to be booted in ESXi5

For whatever it's worth, I figured more people trying to boot 10.7.2 might fall into this trap...

In any case, I now have a shiny 10.7.2 running in my ESXi5 (and the performance is sort of

decent). There has to be a smarter way to get the good kext into the installer image, but for me

coming from the Linux world this was the only workaround I could come up with...

Pete

assuming you are using a Lion OSX USB Stick what I had to do was the following (ensure that under General options you have version set to "Apple Mac OS X 10.7 (64-bit)"

1) Right click on your VM and edit Settings --> Options --> Boot Options --> Check mark Force EFI Setup "The next time the Virtual machine boots, force entry into the EFI setup screen."

2) Power on Virtual Lion --> Click on Console --> Boot Manager --> EFI Internal Shell

3) (My Lion USB Stick shows up as fs0) at the Shell> type fs0: press enter

4) change directory by typing cd /usr/standalone/i386 and press enter

5) you should now see the prompt fs0:usrstandalonei386> type boot -v npci=0x2000 and press enter

That should get you into Lion after 5-10 min's depending on processor speed and VM build after that you can attempt to install Lion on the VM however this is where I am having my issue that my VM Hard Drive does not show up in Disk Utility

Hope that helps

Thanks Mike, unluckily I didn't get any furthur than grey apple with this. Anyway I managed to install 10.6 on ESXi 5 (using unlock v101), then upgrade to 10.7 successfully.

• 3 weeks later...

Edit: Just in case anybody stumbles upon a similar "invalid opcode" error, I figured out my problem. My processor supports TxT (Trusted Execution), and I had it enabled in the BIOS. I disabled it and OS X (Snow and Lion) booted right up without issue. So... that's the fix, at least in my case.

Having some trouble with ESXi 5.. hoping somebody has some tips.

I had ESXi 4.1 working just fine for Snow leopard. I upgraded to 5.0, then applied the latest patches, then applied the Unlocker.

I can see the 10.6/10.7 options when creating virtual machines, but it always kernel panics immediately on boot-up (right after the apple logo, before the spinner). I've attached the output of a kernel panic and my VMX file.

The computer is a ThinkServer TS130 with an Intel Xeon E3-1225. Basically, it seems there's some opcode that is being called that the CPU is not understanding for some reason. I also tried using the CPUID Mask trick, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I've tried Snow Leopard DVDs for 10.6.0 and Lion (10.7.0) on a USB stick. Both crash immediately. I also tried my Snow Leopard 10.6.8 install from ESXi 4 (after creating a new virtual machine and reusing the old disk image). It too crashes with nearly identical problems.

I've attached another image from Lion crashing - you can actually see the full panic text in this one.

post-284001-0-56114900-1325490689_thumb.png

post-284001-0-12170200-1325490696_thumb.png

Test OS X.vmx.txt

The unlock-all files for esxi5, where do they have to be copied to? should the folder follow or?

What OSX distro is the most reliable at the moment? - snow leopard og Lion?

I tried to make a new OSX64bit on a clean unpatched esx5i, and I can enter the EFI, what is the best way to actually install the guest OS - USB or?

Thanks

Is build ESXi, 5.0.0, 515841 supported by the unlock-all-v102?

I am stuck in with a white screen and the OSX "working" circle icon cycling. The last step in the console is

"ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed"

"DSMOS has arrived"

The result is the same on a non-patched esxi5 same build.

Thanks

Is build ESXi, 5.0.0, 515841 supported by the unlock-all-v102?

After several attempts, I succeeded installing retail 10.7 on EXSI 5.0.0, 515841 + unlock-all-v102 on a MacPro3,1. I'm not sure if I really needed the unlocker since I'm on Apple-Hardware, but i think it helped. I converted the retail lion-Install.dmg into a .iso and uploaded it to the exsi's datastore (via VSphere) and attached it as DVD to the VM. I think I had to boot the dvd via EFI-Shell fs0:\boot.efi -v npci=0x2000 .

I think applying the latest Exsi-Patch and using the Unlocker seemed to have solved all my problems, that I had before (booting from passthru-devices, physical DVDs on the host etcetera).

assuming you are using a Lion OSX USB Stick what I had to do was the following (ensure that under General options you have version set to "Apple Mac OS X 10.7 (64-bit)"

1) Right click on your VM and edit Settings --> Options --> Boot Options --> Check mark Force EFI Setup "The next time the Virtual machine boots, force entry into the EFI setup screen."

2) Power on Virtual Lion --> Click on Console --> Boot Manager --> EFI Internal Shell

3) (My Lion USB Stick shows up as fs0) at the Shell> type fs0: press enter

4) change directory by typing cd /usr/standalone/i386 and press enter

5) you should now see the prompt fs0:usrstandalonei386> type boot -v npci=0x2000 and press enter

Hope that helps

but if don't have a mac how can I create the Lion OSX USB Stick?

thanks

I dont think you need the unlocker script on apple hardware - but not 100 sure :)

That's what I thought, but when I was already about to give up, I used the unlocker script and it - at least it seemed to me - made a difference. I used the InstallESD.dmg converted to iso and attached it. Unfortunately a friend of mine who is about to give me a VM on his vSphere Server is still on EXSI 4.1 and won't upgrade to 5.0.0 any soon. I found it hard to install Snow Leopard on 4.1 but I guess Lion will never work well, would it ? I bought Lion Server but can't afford Snow Leopard Server. I found nawcomModCD.iso and it's modbin_kernel helpful to install SL on ESXi 4.1 where Donk's/Alberts darwin.iso worked well for me only after the install (maybe I should have boot another kernel than mach_kernel from the start). If I knew more about choosing the right kexts, making a boot-ISO or even building a darwin_kernel, I'd like to investigate more in order to get Lion running on esxi 4.1, but I think I won't find the time. Since it works nicely with 5.0.0 the effort is not much worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I got OSX Lion installed on VMWare workstation and it is running very smooth. I used this tutorial from youtube to help me do it:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx8DppzIqTs

The only problem I am having is total lag when videos are playing. At first it wouldnt play videos at all on youtube, but right clicking the video, going into settings, and unchecking hardware acceleration stopped that.

Anyone have a fix to make video on this thing smooth like butter?