ATI 4650 Mobility on Sony FW450J/B -- almost there?

asofan

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I installed Lion 10.7 GM and then downloaded and installed the combo update 10.7.1

I then installed the latest ATY_Init from Netkas.

When the laptop boots, I get a black screen on my laptop screen ( it's not turned off, it's just black) . However, when I connect HDMI cable to the TV the desktop comes up and I can see that QE/CI are both enabled.

I understand that I need to modify (patch) ATY_Init in order to get my internal laptop screen (LVDS) to work.

Can someone tell me what I need to do to get this done?

Best

First: inject your EDID - here is tutorial. After this, you have 2 options:

1. your LVDS screen will be working - it's good

2. your LVDS screen will be still black - your EDID is not injected, or is injected but OS can't set max resolution. Connect via VNC to your system and change resolution.

Thanks Mietas and cyrus for your input.

How can I patch the frame buffer and how can I tell which framebuffer I'm using? Please bare with me and try to explain to me in layman's terms as I'm an extreme newbie.

Thanks Mietas and cyrus for your input.

How can I patch the frame buffer and how can I tell which framebuffer I'm using? Please bare with me and try to explain to me in layman's terms as I'm an extreme newbie.

try the pre-patched kexts in my Lion-guide ( see sig) . I have the same card ( device 9480 = 4650mobility ). Backup yours of course before trying out new ones.

Notice that Aty_init from netkas wont help you if you use it stock as it is. You probably need "shrike" framebuffer, but in netkas kext the default is "motmot" for Ati. So change the plist or use a ATY_init pre-modded like from my guide.

hope it helps, else you have a bit work to do, you must then find out which hex values to patch ( inside Ati4600controller.kext/Contents/Mac OS) -- for this self hexediting you need vanilla/unmodified Apple Kext, no pre-modded ones ( like mine, they are already modified ) !

Thanks Smartie77 for your input, but I already tried your modified kexts and they didn't work.

At the moment, I use vanilla lion kexts of 10.7.1 with the original netkas ATY_init and I do get QE/CI however only on HDMI and black screen on my LVDS.

I need to know how are you able to patch/hex edit the framebuffer. AGain I'm a newbie to hexediting so a step by step tutorial would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

Thanks Smartie77 for your input, but I already tried your modified kexts and they didn't work.

At the moment, I use vanilla lion kexts of 10.7.1 with the original netkas ATY_init and I do get QE/CI however only on HDMI and black screen on my LVDS.

I need to know how are you able to patch/hex edit the framebuffer. AGain I'm a newbie to hexediting so a step by step tutorial would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

then you need to read and learn this about hexediting your own personality :http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=249642

basically you boot with a vbios dumping/decoding kext, so that you get your connectors info ( via remote/ vnc or different display ) . Based on the output you will get values and can start with paching vanilla kexts and try various framebuffers until LVDS internal is giving you a display.. I needed weeks until I found the combo for my machine.. don't give up fast, in the end you will get it working. :)