sound stopped working

nhc

5 posts in this topic

I just noticed my sound is no longer working. I've been running one of the lifehacker builds for almost 2 years with no problems. I'm not sure if it occurred when i updated to 10.6.8 or not. Any suggestions for troubleshooting steps?

when i go to audio settings it says "no device present"

Download and install to S/L/E. if you have voodooHDA by any chance, uninstall it. also if you don't already have a DSDT, get Mald0n to make you one in the DSDT forum.

Archive.zip

the new kext worked - thanks very much!.

As far as the DSDT goes - I looked through the forum and was having a little trouble figuring out exactly what it does? By patching the ACPI will it just make the system generally more compatible with new hardware? Or does it increase stability (i can't remember the last time I had any crash of the OS)?

the new kext worked - thanks very much!.

As far as the DSDT goes - I looked through the forum and was having a little trouble figuring out exactly what it does? By patching the ACPI will it just make the system generally more compatible with new hardware? Or does it increase stability (i can't remember the last time I had any crash of the OS)?

If everything works fine without it, you don't technically need it. The thread where I got the kext from says some need the DSDT patch for the kext to work, so i relayed it here haha

If everything works fine without it, you don't technically need it. The thread where I got the kext from says some need the DSDT patch for the kext to work, so i relayed it here haha

only thing i've had a problem with hardware-wise is the firewire port built into the motherboard has never worked, and my CPU core temps have always read very very hot - up to 80C+. I put on a new CPU cooler along with a layer of arctic silver and and it only brought the temps down 10C or so, and like i said the machine has been humming for 2 years with no problems, so i'm convinced its a faulty reading. So along the lines of "if it ain't broke don't fix it," i'll probably hold off on the DSDT patch (although having firewire work would be nice).

Thanks so much for taking the time to help!