Convert old powermac to x86

Cadron

6 posts in this topic

I have a powermac 867 quicksilver that I would love to convert to intel. There's plenty of upgrade options available in the PPC flavor, but that really doesn't interest me. I don't even know if this is possible.

Since this is an Apple mac computer, would it be legal to install osx?

I would certainly appreciate some input on this. possible? dumb idea? If someone could post or point me in a good direction for more information I'd love to investigate is idea further.

Thanks

Pretty much, the only thing that you will be able to reuse from your powermac to make an intelbased mac would be the case. There is simply no way to upgrade it to intel, it will require ALL new internal hardware. And yes, there is also no legal copy of OSX86 for sale.

Pretty much, the only thing that you will be able to reuse from your powermac to make an intelbased mac would be the case. There is simply no way to upgrade it to intel, it will require ALL new internal hardware. And yes, there is also no legal copy of OSX86 for sale.

Thank you. I do realize The PM would have to be gutted. I think it would be a fun project though, kind of like rebuilding an old car with a classic shape and adding a whole lot of muscle under the hood.

The legal questions are some of my biggest concerns. I'm not sure that it would still be considered an Apple computer after I get done with it.

It wouldn't be a Mac anymore as the only thing you would be keeping from the original PM is the case. Sort of like, if you bought a Big Mac at McDonalds, opened the box and threw out the burger and put a Whopper in it, is it still a McDonalds product? course not. It is definatly illegal to run MacOS X on this machine.

This still does sound like a fun project though and the end result will be a Hackintosh that looks like a Mac, you could probably fool anyone who passed by in to thinking it WAS a mac. Hope you have fun with this!

-Erik