CMOS Reset on this kind of old PC its normal

Your screen is on DVI Port?

did you try my last post, ? trying this boot args

PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No

If this not work try this FakeSMC.kext

Extra/Extensions

FakeSMC.kext.zip

Chris,

YES... On DVI port - but VGA does the same thing.  I was thinking that too - normally when it is the port issues DVI vs. VGA - the monitor is black with OUT OF RANGE message in the middle (white text with green box around it).  :-)

OK.  I will give this KEXT a try.  Probably tomorrow.  I am headed out for the night here in about an hour.  

I believe that I have a KEXT for the CMOS stuff.  It was in Pippo's original posting.  ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext  as well as the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

I did not try those lines. 

CNorris

Hi,

ElliotForceLegacyRTC.kext is needed to avoid Cmos Bios reset.

Install FakeSmc and NullCPUPowerManagement also in /System/Library/Extensions/ on USB pen.

Video issue seems related to GT430 video card. Try to remove it and try to boot with internal video card. It should work.

Then when you have installed OSX Lion , we could take time to complete post install tweaks.

sent from my iPhone

Team,

UPDATE.  I re-built the USB today.  Did not use the ENOCH package at all.  Put the Elliott file, the FakeSMC file, the CPUPower file, and the Extra folder on the USB (did not replace the boot file which was already there from the Chameleon package run) and GUESS WHAT!?!   The USB Booted, I got a bunch of scrolling text, but then got the LION INSTALLER page where I am to choose the LANGUAGE, etc.  

I used DISK UTIL to split the Snow Leopard partition in half, created a new partition and called it LION.  I then installed LION there.  The machine rebooted on its own, but booted to the SL partition.

Each time it boots now - it goes the SL partition.  I did a VERIFY PERMISSIONS on the LION partition and it came back with about 15 hits.  I DID NOT REPAIR anything.

I guess now the process is to run CHAMELEON on the HDD to see if I can boot from there.  

BTW -  the GeForce GT430 is still in the machine....this time, no WHITE SCREEN.

Suggestions?

CNorris

Hi,
Boot from usb installer.
You should be able to see Snow Leopard and Lion.
Boot Lion from usb. If all work fine (complete installation, create lion user, choose keyboard) then copy /Extra folder from usb to Lion and install chameleon on Lion HDD.

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk

On 12/10/2018 at 12:49 AM, PippoX0 said:

Hi,
Boot from usb installer.
You should be able to see Snow Leopard and Lion.
Boot Lion from usb. If all work fine (complete installation, create lion user, choose keyboard) then copy /Extra folder from usb to Lion and install chameleon on Lion HDD.

Pippo,

I cannot get this to work.  I boot from the LION USB and it wants to INSTALL -  I cannot get it to boot from the USB and then go to the HDD where I installed LION.  

If I use the STARTUP DISK option and choose LION - it boots into SNOW LEOPARD.  Does not give me the option to boot from LION.

What am I doing wrong?  

CNorris

Very strange,

Try to create another USB pen with only bootloader.

Do these steps :

1) Format USB Guid HFS+

2) install Chamelon on USB.

3) copy /Extra folder to usb

Boot from Usb

Usually you should see the two Os, Snow Leopard and Lion.

sent from my iPhone

On 12/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, PippoX0 said:

Very strange,

Try to create another USB pen with only bootloader.

Do these steps :

1) Format USB Guid HFS+

2) install Chamelon on USB.

3) copy /Extra folder to usb

Boot from Usb

Usually you should see the two Os, Snow Leopard and Lion.

sent from my iPhone

Pippo and Chris,

UPDATE.  OK.  I booted from LION_USB  --  if I press arrow, it does bring up the other drives.

I chose LION (from the HDD).  First time I chose this - it booted (appeared to) and then about 3 screens of text scrolling by and then stops with some NtStat error (two of them) and just sits there - waited 20 mins.  NO HDD or USB activity at all.

REBOOTED  - again chose LION from HDD and added  GraphicsEnabler=No -x       The system booted up, got the White APPLE screen with spinning wheel, then a progress bar, then LION came up (chose LANGUAGE, Keyboard layout, etc).  Finally got all the way to the DESKTOP after entering APPLEID, etc.

About this MAC shows 10.7   (no extension) - but the UPDATE shows 10.7.5 is available...as well as some FRAMEWORK update.

APPLE STORE will not launch  --  I get WHITE SCREEN, and I verified Ethernet is set to the right kext and I can get to the Internet (shows en0 for the interface).  

I ran the CHAMELEON pkg, and pointed to the LION (hdd) and once complete - copied EXTRA folder to root of LION.  Then RAN REPAIR PERMISSIONS,

I verified the EXTENSIONS folder had the 4 kexts that I put on the LION_USB.

One of my USB drives is not launching... I can see it in DISK UTILITY, but the partition is greyed out.  I ran REPAIR DISK - did not help.  Simply cannot access any files on it.  Put is back into the WINDOWS PC (this was the drive I was using to transfer files between machines --  i.e. SneakerNet   LOL)

After following all of the suggestions.....I tried to reboot.  

It does boot from the HDD, but wants to go directly into the SNOW LEOPARD drive.  I can press arrow and choose LION....and it begins booting from there, and stops with the same two  NtStat lines - and goes no further.  The BOOT MENU appears to the the sane Chimera loader which was loading SL.   That OS still boots.   LION does not.

Things of note:

1)  Resolution is locked at 1280x1024 -- will not let me change.

2)  Only 2 ScreenSavers there -- MAC NAME and FLURRY (which does run).

3)  Even going into APPLICATIONS  >> SYSTEM PREFERENCES  >>  STARTUP DISK and choosing LION - will not boot to here.  Always goes to SL.

4)  The NETWORK is seeing my 2 Windows PCs which are currently booted up --  so I know the Network is working.  It has the reserved IP Address I set on the ROUTER for this machine. 

So I think I am about 90% there.

1)  Should I run the UPDATER and update to 10.7.5   ???

2)  Any idea why it will not boot to LION, or even load when choosing from the BOOT menu (manually choosing it) - just gets that black screen with lots of text and stopping with NtStat lines?

3)  Any idea why APP STORE does not run correctly?  It opens, with WHITE SCREEN ONLY.

Your Padawan humbly awaits input from the Masters  

CNorris

47 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

you have mix two Bootloader chameleon and chimera

Remove the snow leopard drive outside computer and boot to chameleon Lion HD with the correct kext in extra/extensions

Chris,

I do not understand what you mean.  

There is ONE HDD in the system with 3 partitions  (SL, L, Storage)  

An update...probably why the APP STORE will not work.  

If I boot from the USB and add  -x   to the booter.  It will boot.  I get screens and screens of text, but it does finally boot to LION.

After I boot, if I run CHAMELEON package and reboot - I get CMOS CHECKSUM error and I have to re-set my BIOS settings.  

If I do not run the CHAMELEON package and reboot -- same thing.  

I have verified that the 4 kexts are in the right place.  I have REPAIRED PERMISSIONS, and still every time I boot and get to LION DESKTOP - CMOS gets reset.  

If I boot from the HDD completely (and get CHIMERA boot loader) and choose LION - and add the -x  it boots to a bunch of screens of text - then stops with the NStat lines and goes no further.

I have not tried booting to SL from the USB. 

If I boot without doing anything - it boots to SL like it always has.   :frantics:

CNorris   

You said ➢  It does boot from the HDD, but wants to go directly into the SNOW LEOPARD drive. 

So its a Snow leopard partition, not a drive

The problem is you have Chimera and chameleon on the same Drive and the first active partition is Snow so its boot on snow

maybe I am wrong?

Edited by chris1111

Hi,

You have to set active OS X Lion partition, so you can start directly from Lion Hdd/ partition.

Try also to boot SLeopard from USb , it should boot fine...

To boot Lion, by now, use USB and -x option, then we fix it.

Check that audio, ethernet and video card are working.

What is the resolution of your monitor?

You can set it in org.chameleon.boot.plist inside Extra folder.

Set OS X Lion active

1. Run Osx

2. Run Terminal from utility

3. Type these commands

sudo diskutil list

sudo fdisk-e /dev/rdisk0

p

You should see the list of partitions

0 should be SL, 1 should be Lion, 2 should be Data.

Choose Lion partition

Type

flag 1

write

y

exit

That’s all. Reboot

15 hours ago, chris1111 said:

You said ➢  It does boot from the HDD, but wants to go directly into the SNOW LEOPARD drive. 

So its a Snow leopard partition, not a drive

The problem is you have Chimera and chameleon on the same Drive and the first active partition is Snow so its boot on snow

maybe I am wrong?

Chris,

My bad.  I should have said partition.   The only reason that I keep the SL is because...at the moment that is the only APPLE OS that I can really do anything with.  While the APP STORE does not work there - I can use it to build another LION USB if I have to.

Ideally, what I want to do - once I get LION working, is:

a.  Have one HDD (I have a spare 250GB SSD that I would like to have in the machine) and use that with LION or MOUNTAIN LION or the best (highest OS that will run on the OP760).  But I think I need to get the APP STORE working properly to be able to get them (purchase and download them).  It would be partitioned into 2 drives OS and Storage.

b.  Figure out how to get SOUND to work on the system.  I will have to test with an external speaker - as the Internal speak does not work.  If I plug in headphones while in SL - I do get sound.  I have an old set of speakers someplace and I can try those.  Eventually once I get this working well, and if HDMI audio will work - I would like to have an HDMI Monitor with built in speakers working.  When I look at the system profiler it shows NO AUDIO SUPPORT.

c.  Does your APP STORE and everything else work in your Hackintosh?  I did discover last night that SAFARI works in LION when I use the USB to boot to it.  But the APP STORE does not.  It did finally show pictures in the APP STORE - but when I attempt to login, it gives error  YOUR SYSTEM IS NOT RECOGNIZED.

Again....many thanks to you (and Pippo)

CNorris

9 hours ago, PippoX0 said:

Hi,

You have to set active OS X Lion partition, so you can start directly from Lion Hdd/ partition.

Try also to boot SLeopard from USb , it should boot fine...

To boot Lion, by now, use USB and -x option, then we fix it.

Check that audio, ethernet and video card are working.

What is the resolution of your monitor?

You can set it in org.chameleon.boot.plist inside Extra folder.

Set OS X Lion active

1. Run Osx

2. Run Terminal from utility

3. Type these commands

sudo diskutil list

sudo fdisk-e /dev/rdisk0

p

You should see the list of partitions

0 should be SL, 1 should be Lion, 2 should be Data.

Choose Lion partition

Type

flag 1

write

y

exit

That’s all. Reboot

Pippo,

Video is working - and it is a higher resolution than I had in SL.  1280x1024 right now...and I am fine with that, is there no way to be able to change it within the DISPLAY area of SETTINGS?  If I remember correctly when I had my last Hackintosh  (An old IBM T61 laptop) I could change it there.  That is gonna be my next project, I have that OLD T61 still around...I was playing around with CHROMIUM (a CHROMEBOOK mock OS) on it and it is kinda kewl, but think it would be a better Hackintosh.   I just never got the WiFi to work on it.  

See my response to Chris as to what I would like to do with the OP760.  

I have no sound - as the internal speaker of the OP760 does not work.  I will have to track down my old speakers.  Ideally would like to have HDMI monitor with speakers work for the setup. 

Network works fine - even before installing the KEXTs.  It did as well in the SL   I have always had Network access - just cannot get the APP STORE to work "properly".  It will not let me login.

I will give your TERMINAL commands a whirl, still do not understand why it will not boot from the USB without the     -x

CNorris

Chris and Pippo,

OK....something happened.  I used the TERMINAL settings that Pippo offered.  It booted one time with the LION USB and made it to the desktop and froze up.  I went to boot again without USB (normally would boot into SK).  It would not boot - the Chimera screen came up, and showed SNOW LEOPARD....then stopped.  Nothing I could do would boot the machine.  

I booted with the disc I used to load SL in the first place, then booted the SL (retail DVD) to get the DISK UTILITY and repaired the HDD.  I did not get any errors.  So I attempted to boot again with LION USB - still no go. Boots to Desktop - no mouse, no keyboard.  Nothing.  

Booted again from HDD - this time - I get a black screen with flashing cursor.  Like there is nothing to boot from.  Booted the LION USB again - like I was going to re-load (have to use the -x or boots to White screen with spinning rainbow).  Used the -x  and get the LION loader - got to the DISK UTILITY and try to REPAIR the disk - gives me an error  NO EFI PARTITION and will not do anything. 

I said SCREW IT.  I will just start all over.  I decided to blow away the SNOW LEOPARD and the LION partitions.  

The OPTIONS button is greyed out that lets you choose GUID format.  

I guess I made a huge mess of everything.  :poster_oops:

Guess it is a reload of SL - so that I can get everything back - as still when I boot with LION USB -  I get the CMOS error on reboot.  :(

Will re-read all the messages and see where I screwed up.  If I could just get the whole thing with ONE OS which works.  I would be sooooooo happy.  

CNorris

:wub:

Boot lion with -x option, then change back to SL active partition.
Use flag 0 with terminal command.
So you will get back SL.

If Lion is not an option, you can choose Montain Lion or Mavericks. Your Hw should be compatible

sent from my iPhone

3 hours ago, PippoX0 said:

Boot lion with -x option, then change back to SL active partition.
Use flag 0 with terminal command.
So you will get back SL.

If Lion is not an option, you can choose Montain Lion or Mavericks. Your Hw should be compatible

sent from my iPhone

Pippo,

There are NO partitions on the HDD any more.  I could not get access to any of them - so I erased the entire HDD.  

I am starting from scratch.  Since I have the LION bootable USB gonna do one partition with LION.  I still do not understand what happened.  

I also do not understand why LION would never boot without the -x  

I ran some LINUX tools that I used to use in my support business to collect hardware information.  They show come pretty valuable information.  I will need to edit the pictures I took with the phone and then I will post them here.  Maybe they will help, somehow.  

As stated, Ideally I just want a working where everything in the HACKINTOSH (OS X) works.   The old Thinkpad T61 I had would do everything except WiFi.  It had SL on it, and was running 10.6.8 - the DVD player would play movies, I could change the resolution, all the screen savers worked.  I never should have formatted it and put Chromium on it.   :-(

If I could get the APP STORE to work.  I would go to ML or M or EC.  But I cannot get it to work where I can buy them, then download them.  I can buy them from my Windows machine - but all they give me is a code to put into the APP STORE to download them.  

CNorris

HI,

OS X upgrades are free, so don't have to pay any more.

First you have a working OS with a working Eterneth connection and a good smbios.plist

iMac10,1 is a good choice. you can use Chameleon Wizard to create it. or use the one here.smbios.plist

Then we can fix video card, i have some ideas how to get graphics acceleration QE/CI.

Hint : Use MaciASL to extract and compile DSDT.aml for your HW .

Edited by PippoX0

10 hours ago, PippoX0 said:

HI,

OS X upgrades are free, so don't have to pay any more.

First you have a working OS with a working Eterneth connection and a good smbios.plist

iMac10,1 is a good choice. you can use Chameleon Wizard to create it. or use the one here.smbios.plist

Then we can fix video card, i have some ideas how to get graphics acceleration QE/CI.

Hint : Use MaciASL to extract and compile DSDT.aml for your HW .

Pippo and Chris,

OK.  After the meltdown :blowup:  yesterday with the HDD - still not sure what happened.  Here is what I tried.

I made sure the HDD had NO PARTITIONS at all.  ( I used one of my MAINT CDs and booted the OP760).  I deleted ALL of the partitions (there was one hidden one of about 195MB - the program showed it as GREEN, while the MAC OS partitions were ORANGE).  Any way....I deleted them ALL...and I rebooted with the LION USB.  I get to the OS X installer screen, but I have to use the -x  option.  Just for giggles, I booted without it, and I get a WHITE SCREEN with spinning rainbow ball.

Also if I do not use the  -x   it resets my CMOS.

So upon booting the LION USB   with  -x    I get to the LION installer screens and I can run DISK UTILITY.  I created ONE partition GUID  --  HFS Journaled partition  (80GB) - leaves me 80 GB more to create another partition later.

I EXIT the Disk Utility and go back to the installer.  It gets to the point where is asks where to install.  The LION partition is shown with a YELLOW TRIANGLE on it - stating that it cannot be installed there.  Something about a missing EFI block.  

So this is where I sit now.  Do I put SL back on the machine and try again or do I do something else.

I am pretty this this MaciASL  program is only going to run from an OS X installation.  

Do either of you want me to post these pictures I took of the hardware info screens I took yesterday after booting the machine with an old LINUX (PC TOOLS) CD?

CNorris

1 hour ago, PippoX0 said:

Hi,
Try again to re-create hdd partitions.
Use Disk Utility, choose Guid scheme, make two partitions HFS+ , apply
Then check from DUtility that all is ok.
Install Lion on first partition.

sent from my iPhone

Pippo,

Does not work.  I have tired it 4 or 5 times.  Each time I boot with LION USB with the HDD blank, and create the partitions.  When I go to install, says cannot be installed.  Something about EFI issue.

I have just installed SL back on the machine.  Headed to bed and will work it some more tomorrow....as well as editing the hardware pictures I took.  Will post those as well. 

CNorris

7 hours ago, bearhntr28 said:

Pippo,

Does not work.  I have tired it 4 or 5 times.  Each time I boot with LION USB with the HDD blank, and create the partitions.  When I go to install, says cannot be installed.  Something about EFI issue.

I have just installed SL back on the machine.  Headed to bed and will work it some more tomorrow....as well as editing the hardware pictures I took.  Will post those as well. 

CNorris

Did you try to Formate the Drive in FAT 32 / MBR (table)

After that I think your ok to formate again in macOS Extended Journaled / GUID Table

Hope that help

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chris1111 said:

After that I think your ok to formate again in macOS Extended Journaled / GUID Table

Hope that help

Chris,

Too late for that now. 

This AM I completed the reload of SL and have upgraded to 10.6.7 with the ComboUpdate file and it is booting from the HDD thanks for Mu****B***t.  I have 10.6.7 back on the machine (2 partitions - SNOW_LEOPARD and STORAGE (where I put all the .pkg and other files I was using)).  That appears to be the only way I could access the HDD.  Kept getting the EFI access error when trying to do a CLEAN LION Install.  

I have a ton of pictures that I took - all edited for size that I am gonna attach here.  Perhaps some them will be of use to create a fully working system.  All of them obtained from a LINUX Based Boot Diags CD I have and the various tools on it.

I did download that MaciASL and have it ready to use if you think it will help.

CNorris

HDT_ACPI_Tables.jpg

HDT_CPU Info.jpg

HDT_PCI_Devices_pg1.jpg

HDT_PCI_Devices_pg2.jpg

HDT_PCI_Video-NVIDIA GT430-AUDIO.jpg

HDT_PCI_Video-NVIDIA GT430-VIDEO.jpg

HDT_VESA Bios_NVIDIA GT430.jpg

INTEL_CPU Identity.jpg

PCI_BIOS_Info-01.jpg

PCI_BIOS_Info-02.jpg

PCI_BIOS_Info-03.jpg

PCI_BIOS_Info-04.jpg

PCI_BIOS_Info-05.jpg

PCI_BIOS_Info-06.jpg

PCI_BIOS_Info-07.jpg

PCI_BIOS_Info-08.jpg

PCI_BIOS_Info-09.jpg

PCI_BIOS_Info-10.jpg

PCI_BIOS_Info-11.jpg

PCI_Devices-1.jpg

PCI_Devices-2.jpg

PCI_Devices-3.jpg

PCI_Devices-4.jpg

PCI_Devices-5.jpg

On 12/15/2018 at 10:05 AM, chris1111 said:

Hope that help

Chris,

Too late for that now. 

This AM I completed the reload of SL and have upgraded to 10.6.7 with the ComboUpdate file and it is booting from the HDD thanks for Mu****B***t.  I have 10.6.7 back on the machine (2 partitions - SNOW_LEOPARD and STORAGE (where I put all the .pkg and other files I was using)).  That appears to be the only way I could access the HDD.  Kept getting the EFI access error when trying to do a CLEAN LION Install.  

I have a ton of pictures that I took - all edited for size that I am gonna attach here.  Perhaps some them will be of use to create a fully working system.  All of them obtained from a LINUX Based Boot Diags CD I have and the various tools on it.

I did download that MaciASL and have it ready to use if you think it will help.

CNorris

Chris and Pippo,

Not sure if this will help any - but I pulled this off the machine after booting with my WINDOWS ULTIMATE BOOT CD and using the CPU-Z application on there.  It is an HTML file, but appears to have a great deal of Hardware Information.

I have downloaded MaciASL - gonna see what I can do with it.

CNorris

DELL_OP760.html